“Fantastic Hot Chocolate ”

BARbar Cafe & Chocolate
Ranked #17 of 205 Dessert in Budapest
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Located in the most peaceful part of District V in a small side street of Vaci Utca (Papnovelde utca 3.), BARBar Cafe & Chocolate is THE BEST chocolateria in this town! The owners, a young couple named Viki and Tomi, are very enthusiastic about the cafe and their aim is to make the guests utterly at home and relaxed in their cafe.The philosophy behind it is: using only high-quality ingredients for the preparation of coffees, lemonades and chocolates. For the chocolate drinks they buy real Belgian Callebaut chocolate (dark 70%, milk 47% or white 28% chocolate pastilles and not powder that is sued in most other Budapest cafes). The freshly made lemonade drinks (in ajam jar) are very refreshing on a sultry summer day. You can also have snacks, should you feel peckish: try the various spreads (aubergine spread, Italian pesto, spiced tomato cream). BARBar Cafe has laid-back atmosphere with warm colors and creative furnishing (refurbished Singer sewing machines serve as tables).
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

My gf and I went here twice during our 5 day trip to Budapest. On the first trip we had a milk hot chocolate with mint and a forest fruits lemonade pot. The mint hot chocolate was fantastic and they use and blend real mint into the chocolate and you can taste the quality. On the second trip I had a milk hot chocolate with orange and cinnamon and my gf had a milk hot chocolate with rasberrys. Both were fantastic we also had a rasberry lemonade pot. I recommend buying a lemonade pot to share between two as the hot chocolates are thick and rich and the lemonade is refreshing at the end. It cost about £9-10 (3500 huf) for the three drinks so not he cheapest or the kost expensive but its worth every penny and puts other tax dodging, hot drinks companies to shame!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Summer or winter, whenever you arrive, it's a place you must see. Friendly service, quality products - simply not to be missed.
My favorite place in town.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My friend and I sought this place out after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor.
When we arrived around 7PM, the seats downstairs were all taken and so we were instructed to head upstairs. The landing upstairs was very nice, I loved the quirky photos all over the walls! There was even a little lounge-y corner with large pillows and a short coffee table. My friend had the milk chocolate hot chocolate while I decided to be more adventurous and try the dark chocolate w/ mint. I thought the milk hot chocolate was great, but I couldn't taste the mint in my dark chocolate at all. Besides that, the service overall was a bit slow because it seemed like there was only one server at the time. All in all, I'm glad I visited this cafe and would be willing to go back and try another drink, but I'm probably won't go out of my way to seek it out again.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Visited here with friends. The hot chocolate was very good, but it was let down by the service. The individual working there was not very pleasant from the moment we walked in til the moment we left. Also, we waited quite awhile for both our drinks are our food.

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommend a thermal spa topped off with a hot chocolate from here. We tried the banana white choc hot chocolate and milk choc and coconut ......amazing! Best hot chocs we've ever had. The toasties and nachos are yummy too. :)