“Hard to Fault”

Ranked #36 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
London, United Kingdom
“Hard to Fault”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Really nice hotel, staff willing to bend over backwards to ensure our stay was perfect.
Booked a "romantic package" for my partner and I. Very happy.

The guy who picked us up form the airport was very nice, took the time to explain a few things about Budapest on the way, explaining the areas we drove through, surrounding buildings and general Hungarian info, food, crime, transport history etc.

On arrival, everything was pretty smooth. Was checked in within 5 mins, and porter took us up to our room and showed us a few things. Bags followed shortly.

We where greeted with chilled Rose and chocolates - very nice. Bed was layed out with towel swans (had not see that before) and the bathroom had orchids scattered around.
The room was lovely, spacious, clean with all expected amenities. Coffee maker, three mini bars, safe, huge pillows and a rotating 50" LG smart TV. The bed was fantastic. The TV and speakers could be hooked up to a laptop or mobile, so you could play videos / music of your choice. Windows where double, double glazed and lockable.

The bathroom was equally as nice, good hairdryer, DUAL rainfall shower heads and the bath was bigger than the bed! Enough for 10 people. Very deep (took 20 mins to fill, the water is boiling so did not cool down whilst filling). His and her sinks, with loads of toiletries.

Room service came and went silently, fresh linen, towels and a general tidy, but not imposing. Returned in the evening to find the bed dressed, curtains closed and everything cleaned. Every day.

The bar, cafe and restaurant where very nice, "hotel expensive" but well worth it. Our waiter was able to suggest several very nice wines with dinner. Food was great, well presented with a bit of flair.

On our las night I had an ... altercation, with one of the staff. Tried to get into the 1st floor bar, woman on the door did not acknowledge my partner or I, I literally had to stand in front of her and make it obvious. - Went upstaris - bar closed? - Spoke to reception who explained that they where having an event, hosted by a 3rd party. The woman was not employed by the hotel.
Despite this, they set a private table up for us and brought us a complimentary bottle of wine, the manager could not have been more apologetic. - Really appreciated.

ALL the hotel staff where very nice, two congratulated me on our anniversary (celebrating 5 years) - all spoke good English and where very polite. Would not pass you without saying hello.
As with all hotels, needed a deep clean, surfaces had un-removable cup circles, places you wouldn't look (top of TV, back of cupboards) where dusty - in no way a downer. I've seen far worse. The hotel was very dark (Mrs said: "designed by a man, this lighting is horrible, needs make-up mirror and light) - agree the hotel is very dimly lit, but in keeping with the Asian theme.
Would I stay again - yes 9/10

Room Tip: Don't bother with a Budapest card - unless you have a fully packed itinerary (we paid for a 72 h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fryy3k
EnikoBak, Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear,

We much appreciate your time, writing such a detailed review about your recent stay with us! Let us congratulate you once again on your 5th anniversary and thank you for your trust in choosing the Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest for such a memorable occasion. Delighted to hear that you were so much satisfied with your stay, with our services and we had a chance to contribute to such important celebrations and that the Buddha-Bar Romance package you booked, lived up to your expectations.

Truly hope that we will soon have a chance to welcome you again at the Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest!

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my first visit to Budapest for meetings with a client. The client organized the event and made the hotel reservations for our group, so I did not choose this hotel myself. I checked these reviews before coming here and based on the overall positive nature of the reviews, I was looking forward to it. Now that I've stayed here, I can definitely see what folks are saying about the uniqueness of the hotel's features. I've listed here what I think are the pros and cons for the hotel. Note that I was here on business; if yours is a pleasure trip, some of my feedback won't be relevant for you.

Pros:
1) Very friendly and accommodating staff
2) Excellent breakfast buffet and hot food choices
3) The hotel is really clean and appears well-maintained
4) I had a really comfortable bed in my room
5) The toilet seat is heated!
6) My room had a nice large bathroom with dual sinks; I was traveling alone, but there was plenty of space in there for 2 people
7) Loads of channels on the TV in English, French, Arabic, Spanish and, of course, Hungarian
8) There are large red glass walls throughout the hotel that I think are really pretty. I've not seen this type of decorating before, and I think these walls stand out as a very nice feature.
9) The hotel seems well-situated in Budapest; it's within walking distance to a very nice shopping area and the river. There are also lots of restaurants nearby and it's not far from a metro station.

Cons:
1) I agree with everyone else who said the rooms are dark. They really are - very dark red walls, black flooring, red-and-black furniture, and dim lighting. Even with all of the lights turned on, I either had to sit right next to the desk lamp to see / work on my laptop, or go into the bathroom if I was trying to read something (like the Budapest street map they gave me when I checked in). It's very hard to see in the room, especially when it's nighttime or you have the curtains (also dark red) closed.

2) There was no ironing board in my room. Because I was here on business, I had work clothes with me that I would have preferred to iron once unpacking my suitcase. Here, it seems the hotel considers this to be one of their laundry services and they'll do it for you, but it's not something I want to pay for, so I was just surprised that they don't also offer guests the choice of doing it ourselves in our rooms. If you're traveling for pleasure, this is not likely relevant for you, but for business travelers, please keep this in mind if you're bringing clothing that requires extra maintenance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear,

Thank you for your time sharing your positive experience about your stay with us, and we really appreciate your valuable thoughts as a business traveller. We are glad that you were fond of the special Buddha-Bar atmosphere, it is the essence of our philosophy to offer a truly unique experience for our guest, above satisfying the highest standards. The special lighting set up is also part of the Buddha-Bar concept, however we do have extra desk lamps for a convenient working environment, and we gladly provide an ironing board in the room upon request.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again, and contribute to pleasant stay, weather it is on leisure or business purposes.

Zürich, Schweiz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I really enjoyed the stay - everyone working at the hotel was helpful, smiling, apparently enjoying their work - something not often found in Budapest. Really nice rooms, great beds and a nice restaurant and bar. I'm surely coming back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
EnikoBak, Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear,

Thank you for your kind compliements about our staff and services, and we are really glad that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are very keen on selecting the most committed and motivated team, working at our hotel in order to provide the best service for our guests. We are proud to hear that our efforts are appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Kind regards,
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had a great time at the Buddha Bar in Budapest. I only can recommend this hotel everyone! The room was very clean, the stuff was polite. The breakfast was perfect and the atmosphere of the hotel is incomparable. The hotel is situated in heart of Budapest in a wonderful renovated palace.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is stunning. No surprises the decor has an oriental theme, which is beautiful, but can be a little dark in places! Didn't get chance to eat an evening meal as the restaurant was fully booked, but breakfast was delicious. The staff were helpful and gave good service. The best a part was the rooms. They had a fully stocked minibar, nice Nespresso machine too. But the bathroom was amazing. Never before have I seen a loo with a remote control! You have to see it! A control to lift and close the seat, jet washes and air blowers! Location was good for seeing the city, was a 30 min taxi ride to the F1 circuit though, even more on the Sunday, so would think about a closer hotel if that's the reason for your visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

excellent menu of cocktails and executed to a very high standard, such a pity that was all I could be positive about!
we were there at 11.30pm on Saturday eve and there were only about 20 people in the huge bar. Music was very loud and lacked atmosphere (possibly because it was so quiet).
The worst prawn crackers were served with our drinks, tasted of stale/burnt oil...
Waitress service was sharp and very proficient, although staff did look a bit bored!
such a shame for an iconic bar, have been to a couple of Buddha-Bars around the world, however, this one was definitly lacking!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annmarie B
EnikoBak, Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Annamarie,

Thank you very much for your time, reviewing your visit to the Buddha-Bar Lounge. We are delighted to hear that our cocktail selection captured your heart! The Buddha-Bar signature cocktails are all there to amaze you but a few local specialities highlight the menu.
We are sorry to hear that your evening was less busy than you expected, Summer can be a bit quiet due to the plenty of open-air bars in the city. We would like to apologize if you should have felt less attention from the Lounge staff, this is not the standard behavior and we are constanlty training our staff to assure the highest level of services.

We do hope that we will have another chance soon to welcome you back to the Buddha-Bar Budapest and hopefully this time you will be staying with us at the hotel as well!

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The location of the Hotel and the room was great, the restaurant and the bar were amazing and the service was lovely! The breakfast was very tasty and the recommendations what to do in Budapest for a young couple were very nice! We did enjoy the stay in Budapest and I would only recommend to stay at the Buddha Bar hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Iva,

Thank you very much for you time, sharing your experience with us about your Budapest trip. We are glad to hear that you spent a nice time and that you were entirely satisfied with your stay! Thank you for your compliments about our services and glad that you had a chance to explore the world of Buddha-Bar entirely.

Looking forward to the next chance to welcome you at the Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest!