“The song remains the same”

Fekete Hollo Restaurant
Ranked #1,736 of 3,383 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Our two different kind of rooms offer enough space for fifty customers. The terrace also seats forty customers in summer time. Besides Hungarian food and beverages we also serve international cuisine, with special fish and beef dishes. Every evening our restaurant offers live salon and Gypsy music. Our waiters guarantee the perfect service.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

In search of dinner after a particularly trying journey to Budapest we alighted on the Black Raven for no other reason than it was just around the corner from our hotel. The two most complimentary things I can say about the place were a) it was open; and b) the food was edible.

On the down side, the price of the food was high and that for the wine a complete rip-off - £30 for an OK Pinot Noir! - even for the Old Town. The waiter was pretty surly and seemed more concerned with other customers. Like a previous reviewer, we fell for the gypsy musicians scam. Having serenaded another and much larger table they turned their attentions to us. The opening gambit was to ask where we were from and then to inquire if we would like to hear classical or Hungaran folk music. Not wishing to appear rude, I opted for the latter. After a couple of very short songs, I offered a tip but was greeted with "No, no, we play for love of music. In this country, the tradition is to buy the musicians a drink if you like what they play." I agreed and the leader immediately asked the waiter to bring three beers. They then played another song and asked if rather than beer they could change the order to Hungarian schnapps? I agreed.

With service (and the schnapps, which weighed in at £15) a 2 course meal came to over £100. Simple message to those considering patronising this place: avoid!

3  Thank Probus

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Four of us sat outside and were serenaded by a trio of performers who played a wide variety of music. Our meals were excellent, especially the chicken paprika. The hostess even provided me with a copy of the recipe. The interior is typical Hungarian decor, which we appreciated, even though we ate outside. We would definitely return for more chicken paprika.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The ambience was wonderful, with arched whitewashed walls adorned with ancient armour (swords, shields, even bows and arrows), the waiters spoke halting English (better than our non-Hungarian), the menu was extensive and varied, and the service (at 1800, before the gypsy band began at 1900) very good. We had roast chicken breast (at 2300 Hungarian florints) and the side salad with it was fresh and delicious. We opted to have a bottle of 2012 Sauvignon Blanc, and it was a steep 6800 Hungarian florints, but enhanced the meal. To finish we shared a lemon crepe (1300 florints) and it was wonderfully fresh. In short, if you're looking for a reasonable meal-with-ambience, this restaurant's for you!

2  Thank mccorquinn
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Large choice of menu, very good service and food, with reasonable prices. Music most night. Again if the violinist plays at you table he will try and sell his CD to you .Regards Gary Saunders

2  Thank Gary S
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We had a nice meal at the Black Raven, sitting outside early evening. The food was good, not exceptional, but then the Gypsy band started! Having lived in the Balkans, after a couple of songs I tried to tip them to "go away" but then I got a long "sincere" speech that it was not about money but the enjoyment of the music but I could buy them a schnapps if I wanted. When the bill came, not only was the meal expensive with added service charges, but I paid £15 extra for the schnapps. So a 2 course pretty average meal for two ended up at nearly €100. Shame because it would put me off ever eating there again and I am moving to Budapest in Sept!

3  Thank Chinnyflint