“The goulash is great”

Ranked #212 of 3,515 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: The Hundred Years Old Restaurant which is hosted the oldest restaurant in Budapest in 1831, opened in the heart of the ground floor of a baroque palace. 80 Guests can enjoy the finest Hungarian and international cuisine and the most excellent wines from Hungary in the contemporary atmosphere, rustic furnishing and an elegant environment. In the evening candlelight and pleasant gypsy music completes the gastronomic experience.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I went there with my friends to celebrate our last night in budapest. This place is actually fine dining restaurant with nice food ( yes, totally different from my traveling style) But the waiters are very nice to us even we're not looked like other people that wear formal attires and nice clothes. We ordered goulash, and that's the best I tried in my life. Portion was good, a little bit too much for me. If you're a budget traveler and want to treat your self with nice food this is the place that's worth the money.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was a great find after a couple of false starts elsewhere. The ambience was perfect, the food was delicious (goulash, duck, pork etc) and the starter was huge - great for 2 sharing. It was also good value for money (always bear in mind the 13% service and pay in forints) We also had a discount (20%) from our 'Hop on Hop off' bus voucher book. We enjoyed the experience so much that we returned for our 3rd night in Budapest - just wish we had found it the first night. Oh, and the waiters were attentive and friendly - fantastic! 1052 Budapest, Piarista ucta 2.

1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our first dinner on a 40 day trip through Europe. Like most of the other reviewers we stumbled across Szazeves just walking around near our hotel the Marriott. The greeter at the door was more than friendly he made us feel like family. He told us that Szazeves was one of the oldest restaurants in Budapest. Which made this visit even more intriguing. As you would expect the interior was really cool. It was a little was warm inside. But the guy playing the piano made up for that. Staff was very friendly and spoke pretty good English. I tried a Hungarian steak and my wife had Goulash. Both dinners up to our American standards. The waiter talked us into trying some Hungarian drink (like a plum brandy) very strong but worth trying. We were extremely happy to have found the Szazeves it made our short experience in Budapest a whole lot better. If I ever go back to Budapest again I would definitely go back to Szazeves. It's definitely worth searching out. Thanks to Szazeves for the great time in Budapest.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had the goulash and it was very tasty! Good service - not too friendly but very efficient waiters! Nice,cosy decor and live music added to the atmosphere!
Nice overall!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place has a nice atmosphere and even gypsy music which was a good bonus to our evening! The service was good - quick and friendly!