“Come again and again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #121 of 3,092 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“Come again and again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Excellent wait staff, superb chef in this beautifully decorated restaurant!!! This hotel is part of the Queen's courtyard hotel.

We ate here for breakfast and dinner and went back for more. Breakfast buffet is huge and includes English and German breakfast items. Plenty to choose from. Both times we were there, they served cake too. One day it was a decadent chocolate cake, and the next was a carrot cake with a thin chocolate frosting and salty caramel icing. (Want that recipe!)

Dinner is tastefully presented and just as delicious. The lava cake for dessert is worth mentioning . It came with a scoop of ice cream and a lemon side dish. It was freshly made. The salmon and soups were equally as good.

Enjoy your wonderful meal. It's worth the trip. Oh, and no music was playing when we were there.

• Visited August 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
“Great Evening, excellent service (all-Beyonce music)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Ambience & motif was worth it.
Yes, you read it, it must have been Beyonce night, every single one of her songs, back-to-back. It gave us a good laugh when we noticed, plus we didn't realize she made that many songs - cheers Beyonce!
The service was excellent, and the menu had ample choices. As an amateur wine critic living in Italy, I found the Hungarian wine to be very good - and definitely added to our dinner experience.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Blue_terp
“great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

if you are looking for a quiet and nice place where you can get fresh food... this is it! the service was very kind and the speed of the dishes was good as well.

1 Thank Cecilia C
Madison, New Jersey
“King Me”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Just for context, my wife and I are in our early 30s and are somewhat well-traveled.

Good food, good service. My wife had the fish, I had the lamb. Both cooked very well. Romantic-ish,

• Visited June 2014
Minsk, Belarus
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a late dinner at this restaurant on 6 July 2014. And although we were the only one left here after 22 p.m. the service was impeccable. One of the waiters spoke a bit Russian and was very helpful with the food. We felt very welcomed in this place! The main course was excellent. Lamb chops with orange-flavoured mashed potato (or something similar to it) was one of the best dishes we ever had. The place is small (there are only a few tables) and it is very quiet (my father loved that there was no music or other "noises" as he puts it). Lovely place to have a romantic evening.

• Visited July 2014