“Check mate - this is a winner” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #113 of 3,044 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Dublin, Ireland
“Check mate - this is a winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Tucked away down a little side street, our meal at Chess was one of the highlights of our trip to Budapest. Immediately on arrival, we received a warm greeting from the staff and were offered a complimentary glass of sparkling wine. An amuse bouche of seared swordfish followed.

I started with a beef consomme with a dumpling stuffed with meat while H got the goulash. My main of pork tenderloin with cocoa bean mash was a revelation. Pork and cocoa is not something I've seen paired before, but it worked very well together. H had the leg of lamb which was fantastic too.

For dessert, I had a Hungarian pudding that I'm not too sure exactly what it was. There were oats in it and it was sort of like a cheesecake, but not quite. In any case, it was wonderful too as was H's panna cotta.

Towards the end of our meal someone casually wandered in from the back of the restaurant to dine and it was only then I realised that the restaurant was attached to a hotel. Not that this would sway me one way or the other, but I'd never have guessed from the outside.

I felt Chess was a great choice for us and highly recommend it if you are ever in Budapest.

1 Thank sdublin4

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Chatou, France
“Good level restaurants but some imperfections”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

In this restaurant, it is pleasant to observe that the client is really warmly welcomed. Especially, a drink was offered, I do not know to what extent it is systematic. This is a mix of hungarian and french cuisine, and to add credibility to the french side, waiters speak french quite good !
On the menu some traditional dishes of both countries. I can not say it is my best food experience in the town (amuse bouche that were not really "fresh", goulash soup a little bit liquid...) but nothing dramatic. Generous and well-dressed plates. Prices are in line, no exaggeration.
Very careful service.

Hong Kong, China
“Cozy and nice restaurant, with very nice staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My girlfriend and i paid a visit on the 1 Jan 2014. Our first dinner in 2014. What a good start!

Thanks to TripAdvisor app, we searched this restaurant which is close to the hotel we stayed (Corinthia Budapest). A hotel staff helped us make a reservation and it was just a 2-min walk.

A very nice staff greeted us in. Offer free champagnes and some appetizers. Following by introducing their signature dishes (sorry that I forgot the exact name of the dishes...) Nevertheless, they were all delicious.

Not a very big and crowded restaurant but indeed a cozy one. I then realised that this restaurant is linked to a hotel-residence building. No wonder the staff seem very well trained to serve customer.

Love the food, love the atmosphere, and thanks to the warm hospitality from the restaurant staff. =)

1 Thank vinwky
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
“Good restaurant, very tasty, beautifully served”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

We celebrate 2014 New Year in this restaurant. We had very tasty dinner with wine and champagne cocktails for very attractive price. In the beginning of the evening we were pleased to hear life music and very good singing of female singer.
The restaurant is not far away from touristic center, so we were able to walk after restaurant to the club and city center.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Frigla
Kaliningrad, Russia
“Great place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We had a dinner at our last day in Budapesht. We found this restsurant in tripadvisor and decided to go there. The restaurant has very interesting desing. Waiters are communicable, polite and warning. The dishes were very tasty with beautiful serving meals. I like pork with cacao beans, and my friends comment salmon. The prices weren't expensive and we'd like coffee. Next time when we return in Budapest we'll visit it again.

1 Thank Irene S