“Excellent food, reasonable price,” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #115 of 3,048 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
cumbria
“Excellent food, reasonable price,”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Great choice of food with a well presented modern touch and decent size portions. Nice free glass of champers with a hint of lavender flavour on arrival. Was a friends birthday and they organised a candle in the chocolate soufflé. Pleasant staff, nice to have a good meal without the stodgy goulash

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Such a good dinner, recommendation inside!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

what can i say, crowd rating can't mistake. It's all started with me and wife locking for a good restaurant to spend our last night in budapest. We used the trip adviser city guide App, and searched for near by restaurant. when we saw we have 9 min walk from our hotel to the restaurant and the restaurant was ranked 20 out of 1369, we knew it's going to be great. Restaurant is small, Intimate and romantic, service is excellent and the food.......food was just above our expectation. Adding to that the really reasonable/low price, made it the best restaurant experience we had in Budapest.

Go there (reserve a table) and have fun

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank meiru1
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Where are all these great reviews coming from?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

We went here after reading reviews on trip advisor. It wasn't what we expected. Actually the goat whopper I had at Burger King was better than this. I had Some strange sort of paella that was so dry and over cooked the shells on the mussels crumbled in the rice. It was like eating grit and Chinese rice with bad seafood in it. Duck and donuts were also disappointing and not appealing. They did have a great starter and the soup was...meh.

Visited June 2013
6 Thank ILikeSoup518
Oslo, Norway
“Mixed experience.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We expected a lot based on the rating. The waiter was nice but I did not receive the meal I ordered. The same story occurred at the neighbor table.My wife ordered boar filet and she was worried about this when the neighbor table told us about their boar filet which was overcooked and dry. Well, my wife got a perfect boar filet. Quite a lottery.
Two of us ordered 'leg of lamb'. This must have been a big lamb! Dry and hard to smell the taste of lamb. We got a good wine advise. A nice Hungarian wine.
This restaurant is not on my restaurant list now.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank jerikl_12
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely goulash soup, friendly staff, cocktails ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Goulash soup was delicious. Had burgers and club sandwiches which weren't that great. Cocktails ok. Staff very nice. Cafe lattes fantastic !

Visited October 2013