“A pleasant experience”

Ranked #144 of 3,154 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“A pleasant experience”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Excellent food and service. The menu choice was Hungarian and the waiter informed us that all the wines on the list were also Hungarian. We could not have asked for any better.

Visited September 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good Food, Solid Value”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

It's good food that is budget friendly. We enjoyed a VERY nice date night here. We had two glasses of wine, two appetizers, and two entrees for about 50$. And the complimentary sparkling wine and appetizer were well appreciated, it's touches like that setting Chess apart from other meals in Budapest. We had two soups that were fantastic to start and both had the duck breast. cardamon donuts, and jam for our main delicious, only thing I could say is the duck could have been treated a little better (I'm just being very picky, it was tasty by anyone's standards). A great meal and definitely worth the price. Best Meal we had in the city. Also received top notch service in english for Budapest as well. Great place.

• Visited July 2013
Ontario
“Outstanding meal”
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

After 6 days of great food experiences in Budapest, this was the best meal yet. With a lovely salad with prosciutto wrapped ricotta, wild boar, amazing duck and delicate but crisp exterior fish fabulous entrees. Desert was chocolate soufflé with wild berry compote and also a crisp pastry with plum jam and almond cream flavoured with hint of chili pepper. Amazing. Not cheap but worth every penny. Seats maybe 30 people we were lucky to get in with no reservation.

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This must be one of the best restaurants in Budapest! Located in the Pest side of Budapest this place is a must if you are looking for good food, service and ambiance! Once we ordered we were given a complimentary glass of champagne, then came the food, amazing tomato soup for starter, steak for main and chocolate souffle desert. All this, bottle of wine and all for around £40. You would pay at least double in any restaurant in London! A bit special!

• Visited September 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
“Good food”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The food is good. Location - I di not know. Atmosphere - like at charming cafe. But they charge 10% for service, and the when I was ordering glad of wine , he gave me double portion, and I found it only at the bill. If I knew, I would order a bottle.

• Visited September 2013