“Right price, right food, right people”
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #187 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

This is our first restaurant in Budapest and we loved it so much that we went back for a second night.

The ambiance is homey despite the black and white decor. Seating is comfy and can fit anything from a family gathering to a business dinner.

The food is one thing that blows everyone away- the goulash is well executed, salad refreshingly flavourful, and the main course we had were stunning. The lamb shank is tender and flavourful and the salmon fried in coconut oil sings in your mouth. Not to mention the side dishes that are just right to accentuate the flavours of the protein.

The services is another thing that made us so impressed- the waitor are attentive to the details. But not annoying at all.

This is just a great tull package on hungarian culinary experience that is always welcoming to all.

There are newer reviews for Chess Restaurant

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a restaurant on Sunday night in Budapest and we end up at Chess: what a great surprise!! The food was absolutely amazing, the perfect combination between Hungarian, Italian and French cuisine! The dishes seemed a piece of art and the prices are very fair. Don't miss it!

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We went on a Monday night and although there were quite a few people there, they had plenty of staff on. However service was very slow and after we finished our meals they cleared our plates but didn't offer us the dessert menu or the bill. We sat at the table for ages until we finally just got up and asked for the bill ourselves. It was very poor service - yet they charge you a 'service' component on the bill.

The food was nice but average for what it cost. We had the duck and pork with the pork being the clear winner but nothing special. What was good about this restaurant is that they brought out a glass of Champagne and a little entree which we weren't charged for.

I wouldn't recommend going here as there are plenty of other choices which are better value, have better service and much better food.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Very nice ambiance pair with delicious menu choices. Hungarian food in its gourmet version. We opted for an outside table in the courtyard. The service was very professional and pleasant. Solid choice in Budapest.

1  Thank ZhannaL
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Chess is a pleasant modern restaurant tucked away in a side street. The service was friendly and professional and we had a nice table for two by the window.
The menu was a mixture of Hungarian, Italian an European cuisine. I had cream of potato soup with ginger flavoured duck which was absolutely first class, my wife had a prawn cocktail with port, I had a taste of this as well and again first class with succulent prawns. My main course was a tagliatelle with beef in sauce. The sauce was a bit overpowering, but it was nicely cooked, the beef stock seemed to overpower the chilli flavour, but nonetheless it was something different and well worth a try.
The wine list was good, not a huge amount to choose from, but they were all well described in several languages, a good price range and the red we selected was excellent.
The main courses were god helpings, so we didn't have a desert.
The price of t meal was good, certainly by London standards. I would say it was cheaper than Cafe Rouge, but with nicer food, wine, ambience and service.