“Nice service, absolutely delicious food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #113 of 3,044 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice service, absolutely delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I could feel the passion of the chef on the food as it was perfectly cooked for my taste! The service that Zholt the waiter(sorry if i spell it wrong) provided was amazing. This fella...gosh added his through smile and passion to us and got into a nice chat! We really appreciated his communicational and service skills. Also the food was plated decoratively and the portion was well measured so overall a good experience.
Thanks

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Matthewww

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent restaurant in Budapest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We are a couple from Thailand doing a round trip in Europe. Budapest was one of our best places we have visited. We went to the Chess based on its ratings on the TripAdvisor. It came out to be the perfect decision. We had a great time in this cozy centrally located restaurant. Very efficient staff and excellent food. We can only recommend it to every traveler and locals as well.

Edinburgh, Scotland
“Great food at Chess”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Fantastic food and staff, with a big "koszonom" to Adam, the head waiter, who gave us great service and conversation. On arrival, we were given a complimentary glass of bubbly while we perused the menu. I ordered a bowl of tomato soup with balsamic vinegar, which was bursting with flavour and thoroughly delicious, and my partner had a seasonal salad which was excellent. For main course, we ordered pork tenderloin served with mini savoury doughnuts (which I know sounds strange, but actually worked really well) and chestnuts drizzled in a sweet sauce. Again the taste was amazing! This was definitely one of the best meals I have eaten recently, taking the food, the service and the value for money into account. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
“Lovely restaurant attached to a hotel in Budapest VII”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We picked this restaurant for my birthday dinner and had a very nice time here, although the food wasn't as good as some other restaurants we ate at in Budapest. However, the decor was very pleasing and the menu had a wide selection of items, so we were pleased we chose it, especially as it was just around the corner from where we were staying.

I had the mushroom risotto for starters and I must say that it was fabulous. In fact, I would go back there again just for that risotto. My main course was a Hungarian goulash and it was very salty, so I didn't really enjoy it and couldn't finish it. I mentioned this to the waiter, and he said he would inform the chef, but that was the end of it. Other places where this has happened, I have been offered a complimentary dessert, for example, or had the offending dish taken off the bill. Not here. However, I followed up with a traditional dessert of cottage cheese balls rolled in breadcrumbs and that was delicious, so two out of three isn't bad.

What made this dinner very special, though, was that we found another lady in the restaurant also celebrating her birthday, so we had to go over and talk to her and then found out that she was celebrating her 60th. So it made it a special experience all round.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Really enjoyed our evening meal at the Chess Restaurant the staff were very sweet and attentive but the restaurant lacked atmosphere. The décor was bright and pleasant which made the evening pleasurable. The food was tasty and well presented, I ordered the seafood haloumi paella. It arrived as a very large portion with plenty of seafood. The sparkling wine was lovely and would defiantly go back. The only downfall of the restaurant was the moody lady at the till who failed to break a smile. The other male staff were great.

• 2 of 5 bubbles