“Outstanding”

Ranked #187 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited here based on Trip Advisor reports and found it even better than we hoped. Thoughtful and delicious menu, wonderful cheese, attentive and knowledgeable staff. Marvelous.

There are newer reviews for Chess Restaurant

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Took my girlfriend for her birthday and not giving any spoilers but not only did she get the promised surprise we got a surprise from the extra effort put in by the staff when they sang for her as well. Perhaps they thought they did not have the best voices but they certainly created a beautiful moment. Pleasant and calm setting too for couples and groups or family. I will commend the entire staff, very hospitable and professional. We had a great time. I recommend Chess restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Super restaurant with great food, good local wine and a very friendly and service minded staff.
Really good menu for a great price.
Is highly recomended and worth a visit if you like fusion food from france, italy and hungary.
We will return to this great restaurant.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I'm struggling to know how to rate this restaurant. I had a really enjoyable meal, however, when the bill came it looked like we were double charged for the wine. As our waiter had left, we were told by the manager that the advertised price was per half glass and that our waiter should have told us that. He never mentioned it. In the end the manager was very nice about the situation and did not charge us for the full glasses, but it was a conversation that did not need to happen.

In saying all that the food was very good. I had a white fish, with grapefruit gnocchi which was very tasty with the sauce complimenting the gnocchi very well. I had noodles (yes noodles!) for dessert. The noodles were chilled, with an orange sauce on top and a berry coulis on the side. It tastes much better than it sounds. The wine selection was very good and there was a number range of wines to choose from by the glass.

The restaurant is only a 10 minute walk from the Oktogon Metro station and is located close to Kiraly Street, which has a good selection of bars and clubs.

1  Thank ijustlovegoodgrub
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I tried this restaurant after reading all the positive Tripadvisor reviews and since it was near my hotel. The setting is pleasant and service is friendly. However the food is so salty it is inedible! I had two spoons of my goulash and could not eat anymore. If you decide to try this place, make sure to ask for less salt!