“Delicious food in a pleasant atmosphere”
Review of Chess Restaurant

Chess Restaurant
Ranked #175 of 3,237 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Tubingen, Germany
“Delicious food in a pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We enjoyed a dinner for two at Chess Restaurant and tried both regular menu items and specials. Everything we ate was delicious and creative. We especially liked the fish options (the butterfish was excellent) and the soups. We would have tried dessert, but couldn't eat any more!

Visited January 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent steak, amazing chocolate soufflé, free champagne! ”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We both had the tenderloin which was an amazing piece of meat! Tender, tasty and very tasty hollandaise sauce. The house offered us an appetizer and a glass of champagne as well. And The chocolate soufflé was the best chocolate dessert i have ever had!

1 Thank Jessica D
INagy, Owner at Chess Restaurant, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Jessica D,

thank you for taking the time writing your experience about us. I am happy to read that you find excellent our steak and the chocolate souflé!
I am sure that at your next visit in Chess Restaurant you would enjoy our other dishes as well - and hopefully we could deserve a perfect rating next time in your review!

Best regards from Budapest,

Istvan Nagy
Cornwall
“beautiful meal”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Chose chess due to proximity to our hotel (hotel nemzeti). It was literally 20 yards from andrassy avenue. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. Staff spoke excellent English and catered to our every need without being intrusive and over the top. I had the tomato soup to start which was more than I bargained for- a very posh tomato soup, and the duck for main which was fantastic. My fiance chose the goulash soup for start and the hare for main, both of which were beautiful. We were greeted with a glass of crisp champagne and an appetizer which consisted of sweet bread, goose pate and a sweet onion marmalade all for free!! I chose pannacotta with rhubarb for dessert and my fiance finished with a cappuccino. All of this plus a bottle of Hungarian white for 15000ft including service ( approx 40 quid). Amazing value and service, would defintely recommend.

• Visited January 2013
6 Thank ashleymcd
Heidelberg, Germany
“Amazing venue don't miss it!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was there with my girlfriend on the 1st of January 2013. It was really quiet, maybe 2-3 tables were occupied from the total of a about 10-12. I had a four course menu: a salad with shrimps, aubergine creme soup, tenderloin steak and chocolate sufle. Each bite was fantastic! Normally I don't like the taste of shrimps, but the way it was prepared here was amazing. Even the toast served with the salad had something special! The staff was also great, they offered a glass of champagne and venison pâté on the house.

We had an amazing dinner, many thanks to the whole staff of the Chess Restaurant!

• Visited January 2013
6 Thank Ulyanov89
INagy, Owner at Chess Restaurant, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Ulyanov89,

Thank you for your complimentary words about us, I will let my team know that you liked us that much!

Unfortunately I cannot share here, what is the "secret ingredient" in the salad with shrimp or how we do the toast - but believe there is a secret! (No, not like in the Kung fu Panda...:-)).

I hope to see you soon in Chess and we can discuss the "secrets".

Best Regards,
István Nagy
Barlad, Romania
“it was my move...”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

An elegant restaurant, set in a gorgeous black and white game, with an attentive staff in an atmosphere that brings French bistros.
My menu, all excellent:
- balsamic tomato soup with walnut pesto and pecorino cheese;
- beef tenderloin steak with sun-dried tomato cannelloni and truffle arugula (absolutely TO DIE FOR!);
- dessert: chocolate souffle with passion fruit cream and vanilla ice cream;
- wine: Szekszardi Merlot 2011 (Heimann Pince).
The flawless service and exquisite menu make you want to return here. A memorable evening in a beautiful city!
Tip: book an advance, like me, it is very crowded, for reasons easy to guess...
Strongly recommended!

• Visited October 2012
9 Thank Mateesescu N
INagy, Owner at Chess Restaurant, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Mateesescu,

I really appreciate your feedback and thank you for this "move". Reading your review, it seems we did not checkmate your stomach, so we will be happy to welcome you again anytime you are visiting Budapest!

Kind regards,