“Nice soup”

Ranked #754 of 3,299 Restaurants in Budapest
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Várkerület
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Food and drink was lovely, but unfortunately 2 coach loads of tourists arrived after I did so service was excruciatingly slow

1  Thank G1ngerN1nja

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Good atmosphere and food, but without question the best beer in Budapest. Hungary is a wine country, not a beer country, so the house-brewed beer here was a real standout. Prices were very reasonable as well.

2  Thank Adam M
Reviewed August 13, 2012

What a surpise this mysterious cellar in an otherwise pretty unattractive street turned out to be! The service was outstanding! The very friendly waiter caught us puzzeling over the menu, looked us over and chose the absolute perfect starter, main course an desert for all three of us, my wife, her son and me, in each case something we wouldn't have thought of, but turned out to be delicious. The home-made beer was the best we had on our trip. Absolute "MUST EAT HERE" when visiting Budapest!

1  Thank Willem B
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My partner and I went for an early evening dinner and found the restaurant well over half empty. Even so, our waiter forgot to bring our starters--until he brought the mains and we reminded him--and forgot to bring a drink order. The waiter did offer, apologetically, free desserts in place of the missed starters, but my grilled carp fillet and my partner's pork dish were middling at best.

We also found it strange and annoying, on visiting the toilets, to find notices asking for tips. There was no attendant in the men's room, and the attendant in the women's offered no extra services or toiletries--I mistook her for a cleaning woman.

We're already talking about where we'll go on our next trip to Budapest, but this isn't on the list!

1  Thank Carrie328
Reviewed March 31, 2012

What a friendly place. In the 19th century the location of the restaurant (30-36 Kinizsi utca) was used as a garrison. The building first became a tobacco factory and its cellar was a storage room for years. Refurbishment started 24 years ago, establishing today’s restaurant with its current capacity of up to 360 customers.
The soups were great full of taste and very fresh, the large selection of starters and desserts.
The Beer bowl was great