“Just Amazing”

Cuisines: Hungarian, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Hunyadi Restaurant is located in the 1st district of Budapest, 2 minutes from the Chain Bridge and 5 minutes from the famous Castle of Buda. On the menu, you can find special Hungarian dishes and Hungarian wines as well as other meals from around the world. We are open on Tue-Wed-Thu from 5pm to 10pm. Fri-Sat-Sun from 12am to 10pm.
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We spotted this restaurant from the window of a bus, it looked like a good whole in the wall to try. And we were right!
The food was excellent. We tasted some great Hungarian wine and service was very friendly. Even the kids loved their meals and dessert.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

On Sunday late afternoon many restaurants around the area are closed, but luckily we found this one, of which I had read good reviews here in TA.
The place was still quiet, and the waiter (the owner) had time for us, telling some details of hungarian food in general and making us feel well taken care of.
My hubby had the beef goulash soup, which is his favourite when he is cookin at home too. He found this one the best he ever had, and was very pleased. I had truly great sauteed oyster mushrooms with delicious deep fried goat cheese camembert. Perfect choice!
The mains didn't let us own either. I had oh-so-tender veal cheek with chive dumplings and my husband had the wiener schnietzel - both very well prepared and tasty. The hungarian red wine (can't remeber the name) was recommended by the waiter, and a good match for my food.
To finish we had very good double espressos, with complimentary digestives.
Not having eaten in other places in Budapest yet, we found the price reasonable (compared to Finland where we come from).

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have been here on several occasions as I stay at the Bellevue B&B nearby. The staff are most helpful and it is quite a cozy atmosphere with a good mix of tourists and locals. I have had the schnitzel a couple of times and was advised to ask for a small portion - actually once two of us had a regular one and the waitress suggested we share !! We could only just finish that. Good soups and a variety of main courses and delicious desserts. Highly recommended

Reviewed November 24, 2013

After looking for a Buda restaurant I chose this for a surprise birthday meal for my boyfriend's birthday. The staff were really helpful and helped me organise a birthday cake before we travelled from the UK. It seems off the beaten track but is easily reached by either heading up from Clark Adam Ter or down the steps from the cathedral in the castle district. Food was delicious and plentiful, the wine list consists of good quality Hungarian choices and there is Palinka a plenty! Staff were lovely and speak English and German and there is a lovely intimate setting perfect for couples.
It is not cheap, we spent around 20,000 Forint and my only slight criticism was charging for (admittedly delicious) bread but serving it with the starter so leading us to assume it was included. You wouldn't order pate without expecting toast to be included surely?!
That said I would return for a special occasion as overall it was lovely.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We only found this place because of trip advisor reviews. It's slightly off the beaten track and doesn't have a view but is very cosy and more than makes up for it with superb food. We had the beef goulash (my first post about compare but was delicious!). Our mains were wonderfully cooked pork and am amazing 'pike fish' with pasta and prawns with a subtle sauce. Slightly irritating music (very common in this country?) was turned down after a request and made for a lovely meal. The best of our trip!