“Cute restaurant with huge portions & great customer service”

Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant
Ranked #290 of 3,299 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Hunyadi Restaurant is located in the 1st district of Budapest, 2 minutes from the Chain Bridge and 5 minutes from the famous Castle of Buda. On the menu, you can find special Hungarian dishes and Hungarian wines as well as other meals from around the world. We are open on Tue-Wed-Thu from 5pm to 10pm. Fri-Sat-Sun from 12am to 10pm.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Hunyadi was the first place I tried for Restaurant Week, and the only one on the Buda side. It was a tiny out of the way restaurant, which was not typical compared to the rest of the places I dined. Very amazing service here as we came late and the kitchen had closed, but we were not hurried out the door. The soup I had was amazing, and the duck main course was good as well. Portions were huge, so that really stands out. Cash only.

1  Thank veeRob

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a short break in Budapest and visited the Gong restaurant, Hunyadi Janos utca on the 12th October. We were warmly greeted by Bokanyi Nandor and found the interior of the restaurant extremely pleasant. Nandor speaks limited english and my Hungarian is not as good as it used to be, however we managed to communicate quite well and we understood the majority of what he was telling us about his boxing career and the various memorabilia around the room.
I have been visiting Hungary since 1991 and have tasted many delicious meals in many restaurants throughout the country during that time and the meals we enjoyed on this visit were amongst the best. Our evening started with a couple of Palinka aperitifs recommended by Nandor followed by the Hortobagy pancake. Our main courses of a beef steak (Hungarian style of course), and my Hungarian beef stew were cooked to perfection - melt in the mouth!!!
A good bottle of red wine from the Villany region complemented the perfect meal.

This restaurant is ideally situated if walking up or down Hunyadi Janos utca to/from the Mathias Church and you will not be disappointed. Price of the meal and drinks amounted to just under 18,000 HUF which when compared to other restaurants which we ate in on this trip, was excellent value for money, and better quality food.
Try this restaurant-I doubt you will be disappointed. Nandor, thank you for your hospitality and company. Visontlatasra
Rob Wright 16 Oct 2013

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went to this restaurant based on the TA reviews and as such wasn't disapointed. The food was absolutely worth enjoying but we can not give more than 3/5 because it was nothing special. The location was remote and the interior seemed a bit worn down. i enjoyed the veal cheek but it was a bit on the fat side and my daughter who was with me had the duck breast which she enjoyed even more. She is more on a 4 star than me. Please be aware that they do not accept credit cards, so bring cash. We payed around 11000 for two persons incl. drinks (soda and beer)

2  Thank PLNG
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We booked our group's final dinner in Budapest in this restaurant--primarily because of its location near our hotel on Buda Hill, but also because of the recommendations. It was as advertised, excellent food and great service. There are two reasons for only four stars--the cost is very steep, given other options available, and they do not take credit cards. Given the cost of their food, if you have a group of four, this means carrying a significant amount of cash with you. This is not realistic on their part.
The food we selected was traditional Hungarian, meat-heavy, but exceptionally well prepared. My roast was perfectly cooked, very tender and tasty.
The street is a nice walk down from the Fisherman's Bastion (take the stairs right next to the entry to the bastion, walk down the hill and the restaurant is five minutes down on your left). The walk up is even more wonderful at night with the lights on the cathedral and bastion.

1  Thank RichardinOhio
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We went here out lastnight in town based on our great experience 2 years ago .. overall, it was very good but not amazing and not as good as last time.
Small little restaurant with around 10 tables (so make a reservation); couple notes ... cash only, no CC's. As well, there is 15% service charge added ... really don't like this myself even though the service was great.
As well, if you look at the menu from their website, it is different than the current version (IE items) and prices are higher (all items we ordered were higher than on the website).
Nice selection of menu items ... we wife loved her dinner, while I found mine (appetizer and dinner) just Ok hence the 4 star.
We started with the foie gras (wife-very good) and goulash soup (ok) and then moved to the duck breast (very good) and stew/paprikash (just OK). No desert was we were stuffed ... wine was around 1400-1600 per glass ... my still water was 1090.
Overall, a good dinner with the total bill after service charge and additional charge for bread (390) was 14,530 ...