“After 15 countries in the past year, this might be our best meal....”

Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant
Ranked #310 of 3,304 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Hunyadi Restaurant is located in the 1st district of Budapest, 2 minutes from the Chain Bridge and 5 minutes from the famous Castle of Buda. On the menu, you can find special Hungarian dishes and Hungarian wines as well as other meals from around the world. We are open on Tue-Wed-Thu from 5pm to 10pm. Fri-Sat-Sun from 12am to 10pm.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We passed by this restaurant on our way down the hill into the city and noted it was rated #30 out of 1081 restaurants in Budapest. That caught our attention and my wife and I agreed we would stop here on the way back. Perhaps the best decision we have made in the 100 or so restaurants we have eaten in in Europe.

We walked in and it was just past 5 p.m. and no one was in the place. Normally, my rule is not sit down in a restaurant if no one is there (based on a bad experience in Rome many years ago), but we didn't follow that rule tonight and I am very glad we did not. From the time we entered until we rolled out of there 2 hours later, the entire experience was phenomenal!

We had a bottle of Vida red wine, the house red, based on our waitress, Guandai's recommendation (sp?) and it was delicious. we started with the house cold starter, a combination of ham, salami, and paprika sausage, and a butter-type sauce, with some little veggies in it, which set the palate for the rest of the meal. We had the goulash soup with some hot paprika, which was also incredible tasty. But the highlight was the main dish, a Hungarian filet minion with a letch sauce and foie gras (which I normally don't like, but not this time), accompanied by potatoes. We topped it off with a chocolate souffle with flamed cherries. Absolutely delicious.

As to other reviewers who complained about overly friendly staff or having to pay with cash, all I can say is get a grip on reality. Our waitress and the owner were attentive, helpful, and caring. Not something common in my experience. Expensive? Not in our experience. Try eating in New York, Tokyo, or Paris. And to the folks who thought this was an average or poor meal, you must eat in heaven. I spent three years in Italy when I was young and ate some unbelievable meals and this one matched it.

Bottom line: Eat here, enjoy the wine, the meal, and the staff; this is an remarkable dining experience. Bring cash and pay your bill without complaining about not them not taking credit cards. We're going back to tomorrow night before we leave Budapest. Enough said.

4  Thank JDB1958

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I really can't believe that there aren't more reviews calling this place expensive. Dinner for two was 12,000 HUF, and neither of us were really that full when we left.

While the food was good, they seemed more interested in presentation of the food and not quantity. I would certainly not go here again as there are better places around town for quite a bit less money.

3  Thank brandasa
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We started in Prague, went to Vienna and finally Budapest. By far the best meal we had at a reasonable price was here, at Hunyadi Etterem. They were very gracious and very helpful. You can nitpick about things if you like, but you are not paying high prices for small portions with snooty people looking down on you. On top of that, the food was very good. I don't travel a lot in Europe, so I didn't think that restaurants would only take cash, but that was just a minor annoyance.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Restaurant witout any character. Dishes correct but without any special advantages. A tablecloth not very clean. Dishes served quickly but just as quickly after eating the food we left the restaurant. Deshes not very big, rather small. Specially piece of fish was wery economical. 15% servis - too much. 10% is normal in Budapest. Poor value for money. We were in only three restaurants in Budapest, this was the worst.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

OK, few things you need to know up front.

As others have said this place only takes cash.

You are given bread but not told you are charged for it, the cost was 390 Huf (about £1.20 or $1.69 at time of writing) so it doesn't exactly break the bank.

There was a 15% service charge on the bill - the service was fantastic and when we are in the US if we receive this kind of service we would have added 18-20 % so we actually saved on the charge !

It's a little hard to find but keep looking trust me it's worth it. You walk up a bit of a rise just along from the base of the funicular, just keep walking up you will find it.

So after all that - the review - I am not usually prone to hyperbole or waxing lyrical about places I have been to or eaten in but this place genuinely deserves it. We had - the Mangalica sampling plate, Beef Goulash with egg dumplings, Roasted Duck breast with wild mushrooms and Merlot sauce, roasted fillet of pikeperch, chocolate soufflé, oven baked golden dumplings (a bit like Apple pie). Every course was outstanding and I do mean outstanding. The Merlot sauce on the duck breast was incredible, so much depth of flavour. I was (I am embarrassed to say) wiping the sauce from the plate with the bread it was that good. I was minded of a bumper sticker I saw in the States once which read 'you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands' - substitute the word 'gun' with the word 'plate' and that's pretty much what I was thinking !! The Golden dumpling dessert was also outstanding, we don't normally have dessert at all but everything was so good we felt we had to. The chocolate soufflé whilst not like a traditional soufflé was also fantastic, really one for the chocolate lovers out there. The portion sizes were spot on, we were absolutely stuffed at the end of the night, and it was fortunate we had to walk back down the hill not up it or I fear we would be there yet !

Just in case I haven't made it clear about this place, we kind of like it. The total bill including 4 x large beers and service charge was 74 Euros, we were more than happy with that price as we have paid a lot more for an awful lot less.

We went as a couple and it has subdued lighting and is perfect for a romantic night, it was very quiet when we were there which we like, others may not but I guess it depends on the time of year.

If you are in Buda, seek this place out it really is worth the visit. We have been fortunate to eat in a lot of restaurants in a lot of cities around the world and this is without question one of the best meals/dining experiences we have ever had.

2  Thank Lem69