“You won't regret it” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant

Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant
Ranked #306 of 3,044 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Hunyadi Restaurant is located in the 1st district of Budapest, 2 minutes from the Chain Bridge and 5 minutes from the famous Castle of Buda. On the menu, you can find special Hungarian dishes and Hungarian wines as well as other meals from around the world. We are open on Tue-Wed-Thu from 5pm to 10pm. Fri-Sat-Sun from 12am to 10pm.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“You won't regret it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We started in Prague, went to Vienna and finally Budapest. By far the best meal we had at a reasonable price was here, at Hunyadi Etterem. They were very gracious and very helpful. You can nitpick about things if you like, but you are not paying high prices for small portions with snooty people looking down on you. On top of that, the food was very good. I don't travel a lot in Europe, so I didn't think that restaurants would only take cash, but that was just a minor annoyance.

• Visited August 2013

Bytom, Poland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“only average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Restaurant witout any character. Dishes correct but without any special advantages. A tablecloth not very clean. Dishes served quickly but just as quickly after eating the food we left the restaurant. Deshes not very big, rather small. Specially piece of fish was wery economical. 15% servis - too much. 10% is normal in Budapest. Poor value for money. We were in only three restaurants in Budapest, this was the worst.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cumbria, UK
“One of the best meals we have ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

OK, few things you need to know up front.

As others have said this place only takes cash.

You are given bread but not told you are charged for it, the cost was 390 Huf (about £1.20 or $1.69 at time of writing) so it doesn't exactly break the bank.

There was a 15% service charge on the bill - the service was fantastic and when we are in the US if we receive this kind of service we would have added 18-20 % so we actually saved on the charge !

It's a little hard to find but keep looking trust me it's worth it. You walk up a bit of a rise just along from the base of the funicular, just keep walking up you will find it.

So after all that - the review - I am not usually prone to hyperbole or waxing lyrical about places I have been to or eaten in but this place genuinely deserves it. We had - the Mangalica sampling plate, Beef Goulash with egg dumplings, Roasted Duck breast with wild mushrooms and Merlot sauce, roasted fillet of pikeperch, chocolate soufflé, oven baked golden dumplings (a bit like Apple pie). Every course was outstanding and I do mean outstanding. The Merlot sauce on the duck breast was incredible, so much depth of flavour. I was (I am embarrassed to say) wiping the sauce from the plate with the bread it was that good. I was minded of a bumper sticker I saw in the States once which read 'you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands' - substitute the word 'gun' with the word 'plate' and that's pretty much what I was thinking !! The Golden dumpling dessert was also outstanding, we don't normally have dessert at all but everything was so good we felt we had to. The chocolate soufflé whilst not like a traditional soufflé was also fantastic, really one for the chocolate lovers out there. The portion sizes were spot on, we were absolutely stuffed at the end of the night, and it was fortunate we had to walk back down the hill not up it or I fear we would be there yet !

Just in case I haven't made it clear about this place, we kind of like it. The total bill including 4 x large beers and service charge was 74 Euros, we were more than happy with that price as we have paid a lot more for an awful lot less.

We went as a couple and it has subdued lighting and is perfect for a romantic night, it was very quiet when we were there which we like, others may not but I guess it depends on the time of year.

If you are in Buda, seek this place out it really is worth the visit. We have been fortunate to eat in a lot of restaurants in a lot of cities around the world and this is without question one of the best meals/dining experiences we have ever had.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Lem69
Brussels, Belgium
“Overfriendly staff, small portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Nice atmosphere, but the staff was somewhat overfriendly (yes, there is such a thing as too much smiles). The food was good, but the portions could have been bigger given the prices. The fish was overcooked, but accompanying sauce delicious.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TomFrancart
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“High quality food, good service. Beware: only cash payment!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a very nice evening in this restaurant. At first we were disappointed that there is no outdoor seating, but this was quickly made up with the very nice food. It's a small restaurant; service is very good and the quality of the food was amazing. They accept cash payments only!

• Visited June 2013