“Great place for an intimate dinner”

Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant
Ranked #293 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Hunyadi Restaurant is located in the 1st district of Budapest, 2 minutes from the Chain Bridge and 5 minutes from the famous Castle of Buda. On the menu, you can find special Hungarian dishes and Hungarian wines as well as other meals from around the world. We are open on Tue-Wed-Thu from 5pm to 10pm. Fri-Sat-Sun from 12am to 10pm.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Hunyadi Etterem was a perfect place for a quiet & intimate dinner. The food was excellent and the service very helpfull but not too intrusive. We both had sampling plates as starters and veal paprikash as main courses. The waitress recommended a red wine called Juhatz (Egri?) with the meal and it was an excellent choise and not the most expensive wine on the list. The chocolate suffle was a bit heavy but the tiramisu was very good. The check was also very reasonable appr. 24.000,- HUF for 3 course meal for 2 with wine.

1  Thank TheFinnishRocks
There are newer reviews for Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Really great hungarian Food. Very Nice people. It was a great evening. They were very Nice to the childern. The restaurant is easy To find. We had a wonderful evening!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you only eat in one place in Budapest this is the place . Food was outstanding Service was friendly and efficient

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We found out about this restaurant having seen the reviews on TripAdvisor and so glad we opted for this ahead of a few others we were looking at. It is easy enough to find, about a 10 minute walk from the nearest Metro stop, set in a quiet street just up the hills off the Danube.

We were given a friendly greeting on our arrival and the staff were knowledgable and happy to give us their time when we asked about certain drinks/dishes. Staff spoke fluent English which was brilliant as our Hungarian is appalling, and we felt totally at ease.

Food was unbelievable! Probably the most enjoyable meal I have had this year, and was great value. The dishes were beautiully presented, well-sized and, most importantly, tasted great. The staff who waited on us were attentive without being pushy, and helped make for a great evening. Service was timed very well, with no long waits, though the restaurant was fairly quiet so was to be expected.

Our food bill came to around £35 and included two starters, a side, two mains and a dessert. Where we couldn't help but overindulge was in the drinks department: we spent a further £35 on two gorgeous bottles of wine and a couple of shots. There was an extensive wine list and it was a special occasion, so we splashed out a bit. Beers and soft drinks were very reasonably priced, and had we opted for these instead we'd have spent less than £50 rather than £70. This included an automatic 15% service charge, which I disagree with but I suppose is increasingly common these days. We gave a tip on top of this however as it really was a near-perfect meal.

We will be going back to Budapest and will definitely be returning to this restaurant. Here is our bill:

Home Made Bread (this was pretty much a full loaf!): 390 HUF
Turkey Ragout Soup with Tarragon: 890 HUF
Greek Salad: 1090 HUF
Smoked Honey Chicken Breast (this came with the best creamy mash I've had): 2790 HUF
Tenderloin Medallions: 2990 HUF
Oven-baked Golden Dumplings: 1190 HUF
2 Bottles Wine: 7800 HUF
2 "Palinkas" shots with dried fruits: 2780 HUF
Service @15%

Total: 22900 HUF

4  Thank AdamThomas
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I chose to go to this restaurant because of the reviews on TA and I am very glad I did. The restaurant was pretty deserted but it was a Weds night in early March so I hope business picks up. I have to say that the food was really very good. I had goose liver to start and duck breast as a main course and it was as good as anything I have ever eaten. The duck was perfectly cooked, with crispy skin and trimmed of fat and I loved it. The red cabbage was a bit sweet for my taste and I didn't love the potato cake - should have asked for roasted vegetables instead as my companion did.

The service was very good and the restaurant nicely decorated with subdued lighting. I am sure this would be a great place to go for a special event. It is in a good location, just below the Castle and very easy to get to. I go back to Budapest regularly and look forward to my next visit to this restaurant.

3  Thank traceyf1958