“Top Quality Food & Service”

Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant
Ranked #293 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Hunyadi Restaurant is located in the 1st district of Budapest, 2 minutes from the Chain Bridge and 5 minutes from the famous Castle of Buda. On the menu, you can find special Hungarian dishes and Hungarian wines as well as other meals from around the world. We are open on Tue-Wed-Thu from 5pm to 10pm. Fri-Sat-Sun from 12am to 10pm.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We found out about this restaurant having seen the reviews on TripAdvisor and so glad we opted for this ahead of a few others we were looking at. It is easy enough to find, about a 10 minute walk from the nearest Metro stop, set in a quiet street just up the hills off the Danube.

We were given a friendly greeting on our arrival and the staff were knowledgable and happy to give us their time when we asked about certain drinks/dishes. Staff spoke fluent English which was brilliant as our Hungarian is appalling, and we felt totally at ease.

Food was unbelievable! Probably the most enjoyable meal I have had this year, and was great value. The dishes were beautiully presented, well-sized and, most importantly, tasted great. The staff who waited on us were attentive without being pushy, and helped make for a great evening. Service was timed very well, with no long waits, though the restaurant was fairly quiet so was to be expected.

Our food bill came to around £35 and included two starters, a side, two mains and a dessert. Where we couldn't help but overindulge was in the drinks department: we spent a further £35 on two gorgeous bottles of wine and a couple of shots. There was an extensive wine list and it was a special occasion, so we splashed out a bit. Beers and soft drinks were very reasonably priced, and had we opted for these instead we'd have spent less than £50 rather than £70. This included an automatic 15% service charge, which I disagree with but I suppose is increasingly common these days. We gave a tip on top of this however as it really was a near-perfect meal.

We will be going back to Budapest and will definitely be returning to this restaurant. Here is our bill:

Home Made Bread (this was pretty much a full loaf!): 390 HUF
Turkey Ragout Soup with Tarragon: 890 HUF
Greek Salad: 1090 HUF
Smoked Honey Chicken Breast (this came with the best creamy mash I've had): 2790 HUF
Tenderloin Medallions: 2990 HUF

Total: 22900 HUF

4  Thank AdamThomas
There are newer reviews for Hunyadi Etterem Restaurant

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I chose to go to this restaurant because of the reviews on TA and I am very glad I did. The restaurant was pretty deserted but it was a Weds night in early March so I hope business picks up. I have to say that the food was really very good. I had goose liver to start and duck breast as a main course and it was as good as anything I have ever eaten. The duck was perfectly cooked, with crispy skin and trimmed of fat and I loved it. The red cabbage was a bit sweet for my taste and I didn't love the potato cake - should have asked for roasted vegetables instead as my companion did.

The service was very good and the restaurant nicely decorated with subdued lighting. I am sure this would be a great place to go for a special event. It is in a good location, just below the Castle and very easy to get to. I go back to Budapest regularly and look forward to my next visit to this restaurant.

3  Thank traceyf1958
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Out of a three day stay this was a visit on last night, overated eating place,one member of staff very rude and not helpful.Food overated and not well presented.i would not recommend to visit.wong rest sorry

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited this small restaurant after reading reviews on TA. The restaurant's main room is nothing special really but looks very clean and well looked after.

The staff was very helpful with the food and wine menu, speaking very good english. They seemed keen on going the extra mile to give customers an enjoyable experience.

The food was very good, properly cooked and presented. Portions were generous as well. When leaving we asked for instructions on how to find a place to buy some cigarettes (it was a bit late in the evening) and they spend 5' showing us the route on the map.

I would definitely go back there myself and surely recommend it to anyone visiting Budapest.

1  Thank Nikos_DC
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Enjoyed a really great meal here during a 1 week trip to Budapest. One of the best restaurants we ate in during our stay. The restaurant itself is small but very welcoming with a nice intimate atmosphere. Food was excellent, good fresh ingredients that were very well cooked and presented. Accompanying wine was also really good too. Although we were staying on the Pest side of the city, it was definitely worth making the effort to go to this restaurant. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank xlynnbx