“Very good,but little bit expensive”
Review of ZONA Budapest

ZONA Budapest
Ranked #194 of 3,384 Restaurants in Budapest
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Every tiny detail of the renewed ZONA is inspired by our trips to global cities. The cuisine is influenced by their diversity, the respect for their cultural heritage and the current gastronomic trends. Exciting flavors, blustering colors unite in a unique location by the Buda side of Chain Brindge, but almost in the downtown. We add an honest, accomodating but professional table service to make your stay a unique experience, so we could show what guest and restaurant relation really means to us. ZONA got 17 Gault Millau points in the past two years (3 hats) and received Dining Guide's Restaurant of the Year award last year.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very good food. Nice service. A little expensive. Overall, I think this is a good 4.5 star restaurant. I did like it, but....

BALDASZTI_GROUP, Manager at ZONA Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your comments on the food and the service, and we are sorry you found our place too expensive. We hope you understand that in order to keep the high quality of the restaurant that our guests are used to, it is not possible to lower the prices.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I recently had the chance to eat at Zona restaurant during my last vacation in Budapest and there really is not much to say. Zona is superior. The food is brilliant, the interior design is perfect and you get a fantastic service. Most recommended to go. If you don't go on your Budapest trip, you surely will miss out.

Thank you for your flattering review! We are delighted to read how much you enjoyed this great combination of food, design and service. We promise we will not stop improving!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Small menu but very high quality, showcasing some interesting hungarian cuisine and local foods. Sadly, the AC wasn't working during a recent hot spell.

BALDASZTI_GROUP, Manager at ZONA Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the excellent dishes at ZONA! We hope you will have the chance to come back again after the summer holiday - when the AC should work already. We are utterly sorry for the inconvenience, we promise the next time you will have a perfect time at our restaurant.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

First off, know that I'm being incredibly critical of this excellent restaurant, based on the pricing of wine and dishes. You can fully expect to come here and have an incredible meal. A meal prepared with fresh local ingredients, seasoned and presented beautifully. In Budapest, this calibre of restaurant is scarce.
I first ordered a tomato consommé and a plate of fowl leg. The consommé has incredible depth, first taste of tomato, then ginger, then salt, then herb -- fun! The fowl, however was really special. This perfectly cooked leg was moist, with a crispy skin surrounding it. The dish included a salad as complex in flavor as the consommé, the acidity nicely complementing the richness of the chicken and crispy skin. I was so impressed that I ordered the Saibling (which is Arctic Char, I think??), despite being somewhat full from the earlier courses.
Plates were delivered swiftly, the kitchen churning out amazingness faster than necessary -- but let down by (slightly) clumsy service and ambience in the dining room.

It's 21h (9 PM) and the dining room is empty, save for me and 2 other tables. 5 servers are working the floor, all kind of huddled behind the bar, ignoring the empty glass of wine on my table. You're serving delicious wine, sell me more of it :) -- twice I had to flag down a server to get a refill. Same deal with ordering the second plate, and asking for the check. Actually, it took two requests to get the check, the second 10 minutes after the first met with a somewhat curt "Just a moment, Sir". Some of this is certainly cultural, but I've had much more attentive service in Budapest at lower end restaurants. Your mileage [and perception] may vary.

Also, why is it so bright in here? The decor is nice, we're on the Danube with a great view, I'm sipping Hungary's best grape, and the lights are cranked! Cutting the lights by half, and maybe throwing some little candles on the table and I'd have drank another bottle here.

Overall a very well thought out, ambitious eatery with stellar food and a great wine list, let down a bit by lack of attention in the front. Will stop in next time I'm in Budapest.

Thank you for your useful remarks! We really appreciate your nice words about the dishes, however, we sadly hear that the service was disappointing for you. We will certainly look into the problem, and try to improve as much as possible in order that our guests always have a perfect experience at ZONA. We hope the next time you visit Budapest, you will have the same opinion about the food, and a better one about our service!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Zona is in my opnion one of the absolute best restaurants in Hungary. No other remarks on the food than "amazing", credit to the chef. The thing I miss a little is a bit more caring towards the customers, a smile always helps!
Despite a spelling mistake in the English menu, and a little lacking customer care, I would still recommend this place, because the food is stunning and so are the Hungarian wines they have!
On top of this it has a view to the Chain Bridge and the Danube and the interior design is really cool!

BALDASZTI_GROUP, Manager at ZONA Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for your nice review! We are pleased to read that you find the food and the wines amazing here, but your remarks on the service are also important to us! We will naturally consider what you mentioned here because our intention is to make the whole ZONA experience as perfect as possible - and we know that not everything is about the dishes, the design or the view.