“Nice concept, you have to love wine.”
Review of ZONA Budapest

ZONA Budapest
Ranked #270 of 3,515 Restaurants in Budapest
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Every tiny detail of the renewed ZONA is inspired by our trips to global cities. The cuisine is influenced by their diversity, the respect for their cultural heritage and the current gastronomic trends. Exciting flavors, blustering colors unite in a unique location by the Buda side of Chain Brindge, but almost in the downtown. We add an honest, accomodating but professional table service to make your stay a unique experience, so we could show what guest and restaurant relation really means to us. ZONA got 17 Gault Millau points in the past two years (3 hats) and received Dining Guide's Restaurant of the Year award last year.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

First of all I can say that the interior of this restaurant is very very nice. It is simple modern yet warm and cozy. It has his own touch to say it is a wine bar.
From the beginning they said that their restaurant had an own concept and that the portions would be small. Everything we got from starters to dessert was absolutely delicious. some of the combinations I had never seen before. It felled like being in a Michelin star restaurant only this was still affordable even for a student like me.
If you compare it with the rest of the prices in Budapest it was expensive but for West-Europeans it is not that expensive.

Their were a lot of wines on their wine card and not only bottles. It is a thing you don't see often but the card of wines where you pay per glass had also a wide choice. I liked that.
They don't have much choice in their menu. You have like 3 or 5 choices per dish.

there are some down points we experienced, like the amount of waiters that were in the room. They were with 5 or 6 in the room for like 14 tables. that's to much! some of them order your food and others do the bar. half the time they where doing nothing and just stood there looking at you or walking around. It ruined some of the experience.
Another thing is that the courses where going so fast that you didn't had the time to talk between and making it cozy.

In overall it was very good and I had a very good time there.

BALDASZTI_GROUP, Manager at ZONA Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write the feedback, your opinion is very important to us! We are pleased that you had such a nice time at our restaurant, and you even compare us to Michelin star restaurants - what a compliment!

About the rest of your review: we will seriously consider you observations about the number of waiters, possibly it was just a one-time issue. However, it is our attempt not to make our guests wait - if it was disturbing, we are utterly sorry!

The fact that the courses arrived without longer breaks inbetween might be a pleasure for some people, but for others - as in your case - a little disturbing. The staff tries to find balance, thank you for highlighting this problem!

We hope you will have the chance to visit our restaurant again!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The two of us have visited the restaurant in a hope to have an extraodinery dining experience. I have heard good and bad things about this new estabilishment, but I still had my hopes very high. Unfortunately it turned out that they were set way too high. The portions were quite small, but it was not a big deal for me since I was expecting this. However I had my hopes that the quality of the food will strongly compensate. Well, it didn't. My conclusion was first of all that the prices are not only high for the small portions, but also for the average quality of food that they serve. I had cod with asparagus, that was small, as mentioned above and while it was nicely cooked and tasty, it was really nothing special. I also tried their chocolate cake dessert and the best I can say that it was just OK. However you can get this quality in many other restaurants as well with bigger portions and of course significantly higher value for your money. The service is attentive, and the interior of the restaurant is nice, modern, a little bit snobish. All in all if you want great culinary experience rather than just visiting a new, shiny restaurant, make sure you avoid Zona. There are quite a few better spots in the city of Budapest.

1  Thank molnarrio
Baldasztis, Manager at ZONA Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear molnarrio,
We really appreciate your review, and feel sorry if you were not satisfied with your time spent at us. The portion size is a concept (similar to the pintxo - pincho - which is especially popular in Basque country). The prices are a bit higher due to the quality of the raw materials, which are hand-picked very carefully. In any case, we do hope that you will give ZONA another try and be more satisfied with the result.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went there for a business lunch & meeting. Nothing really formal even though the restaurant looks very good and has it's design. When ordering we were recommended to go with a full course menu as the dishes are not very big, I would say the right quantity. I'm lucky enough to travel often and eat in many restaurants, but I will for sure remember of this one. Ingredients that you don't find anywhere, combined in a way that the flavor is just superb! we were all really impressed! good wine. Next time I go past Budapest I will for sure stop by!

It was a pleasure to read your review, thank you very much! It is an especially great compliment to get this kind of feedback from an experienced restaurant-goer who can really appreciate amazing food and excellent restaurants. We hope you will visit us again very soon!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I live in Budapest, I am hungarian and I have been all around the world.

This is the kind of restaurant that makes me feel ashamed of being hungarian. The name of the restaurant is ZONA but for all i care it could be called...HANDS UP. THIS IS A ROBBERY. The prices are simply ridiculous and the portions are smaller then starters. This in fact is the CONCEPT of this place. Do you get it? Small portions for a lot of money....and they call this a concept.

The place revolves around a chef by the name of Huszár Krisztián. He seems to have a very strong self marketing and seems to believe all the self generated hype around him. One of his signatures (according to the waiter) that most of the micro sized main dishes are standing in some sort of liquid. it is very special i grant you that however it is simply not tasty.

There is not much to talk about the dishes and the tastes because this is a subjective issue.

This restaurant in its current form has about 4-6 months at max. Nobody likes to be robbed and this is robbery on a big scale. Even if they called it ZONA....its still just robbery. Plain and simple.

5  Thank GPeto

Dear GPeto,

We feel sorry if you had a bad experience during your last visit in ZONA. We pay very high attention to our service, to the food we serve up and to the mood in order to make our guests feel comfortable, so we take your comments seriously.

We can imagine that our concept doesn't fit to everybody's expectations. Yes, the portions are smaller (similar to the pincho in Basque country) and the prices are not the lowest due to the extra quality of the raw materials. In addition to the materials it's also good to know that our chef prepares the menu with serious and professional specialized knowledge. Next time (if you are interested) we would gladly inform you a bit more about the ideas and the actions behind the kitchen door. Hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Started well enough with a nice glass of wine and a tasty beer at a very reasonable price. We ordered the foie gras terrine and scampi. When the food came we were astonished to discover that the scampi was in fact a scampus (literally one scampi) placed elegantly on top of some green goo. The foie gras was lovely but was just this, no salad, no bread, no nothing. These were apparently main courses although admittedly it was hard to tell despite the menu being in English.

Pudding was lovely, however when I left I had to go to the Christmas market and buy a cheesy pancake which was more substantial than both of the meals put together from Zona!

BALDASZTI_GROUP, Manager at ZONA Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for your review, it is important to us what our guests think about our restaurant. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the quantity of the food you had on your plates. It is admittedly our policy that the size of the dishes is "pintxo"-like. That is, we intend to serve smaller portions in order for the guests to have the chance to try several dishes and be able to enjoy a great variety of different tastes. Still, we hope that people would leave with a full but not overfilled stomach - in your case it didn't happen, we are terribly sorry about that!