“This could have been good, but....”
Review of Fungarian

Fungarian
Book In Advance
More Info
$90.00*
and up
Budapest Walking Tour and Basics of Hungarian...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Fun, interesting things to do in Budapest and ways to learn about Hungarian language & culture... Our Fungarian(R) classes are the perfect, relaxed way to begin your visit to Budapest. Whether you are interested in learning a few basic Hungarian words and phrases to help you learn more about the Hungarian culture or interested in one-on-one Hungarian tuition we would be delighted to help you. We are sure our Budapest city tours are the best on offer and that you will agree when you let one of our knowledgeable friendly guides show you the city. Our thematic tours like Communism tour, Art Nouveau Tour, The Flea Market Tour or the Public Transport Tour are among the most popular ones. Discover Budapest's hidden highlights with a knowledgeable guide as part of your own privately guided tour.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I'm surprised by the very high ratings given to this activity. I was not impressed.
I was told the waiters at the cafe would know about the Fungarian, but they looked at me like I was nuts. Our instructor (Reeka, I believe) was late and disorganized. Other reviews stated that cultural things would be discussed, as well as some highlights of what to do in Budapest or general friendly talk. There was none of this. It seemed like the instructor wanted to get the session over with as quickly as possible, she seemed uninterested and bored.

The sheet of paper they provide has some phrases and words on it. I could see that it could be fun to learn to pronounce things and try to say a few words, if the instructor had some enthusiasm. There were numbers, greetings, how to place an order, etc. Bring a pen for each person so you can make notes of how to pronounce things, so you'll remember later.

I think this is a cool concept, and all communication with whom I assume to be the owner was very fast, professional and polite. I think they need to take better care with who they hire for this job. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a better instructor than I did.

miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

On behalf of our small team I deeply apologise for failing to meet your expectations. The waiter issue is a bit embarrassing because we know the owner and the waiters. I think it must have been when there was a new staff member. Anyway, it’s a small place and our colleagues look out for our customers. As far as your criticism regarding our colleague is concerned I can only say that Réka is a great asset to our team since she speaks five languages and has a long experience of teaching. I am sure she will bring the conclusions for herself from what you wrote. Nevertheless, please keep in mind that according to our webpage description the 1-hour class is enough only for the language part and less for culture. That’s why we launched our two-hour session when we can focus more on culture and history. Finally, good news about the pens: each of our clients gets a notebook and nice pen with our company logo. The time you came we just were run out of pens. I hope you still had a good time in Budapest.
Miklos Molnar, director

"public transport"
"walking tour"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had a Monday afternoon lesson with Emese (I hope I've spelt it correctly!) - two hours long. It was my first time in Budapest, knew nothing about the city or about the language, and was to be honest quite intimidated by it all! But it was great - rainy afternoon spent in a cafe, sipping coffee while learning the Hungarian basics.
After the language lesson, she showed me the best places in town to visit - and they've been great recommendations!
I'd absolutely recommend a Fungarian lesson, especially if you're travelling alone.

Happy to hear you liked the class with Emese. She just loves this job. I hope you had a good time in Hungary. Miklos

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our instructor was really enthusiastic and clearly well educated, and gave us a great insight into Hungary's history and some basics of the language, all in just over an hour. Highly recommended

Dear Adam,
Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripavisor. My colleague and the our whole team were very pleased. Miklos

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a personal letter of thanks to Miklos that everyone can read.

Dear Miklos,
I have no word but Koszonom (accent less I'm afraid) to say to you after today. It was one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life: a crash course in Magyar language and politics. You are a wonderful man and a true pleasure to spend a morning with. I recommend everyone to hunt you down and see what Budapest has to offer when guided by a master. I trust that this will not be the last time we meet.

David

3  Thank TheDadofChas
miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Kedves Dávid!
Örülök. My colleagues and I are always delighted to have some positive feedback. It’s a great professional reward for us to know that our guests share our enthusiasm in making our language and culture more known to the other peoples.
Miklós

See more reviews
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had booked a one-hour lesson. Our teacher was Reka. And amazingly she was able to speak Danish as we do. I think it is a fantastic service to provide teachers who speak the native language of the students. In one hour we certainly learned that it is not so easy to learn and speak Hungarian. One very good thing is that the Hungarian pronunciation is consistent to the spelling. The Danish language is very different on this point.
The lesson is centered around one page with some phrases you have to learn. I think I expected a little more social / cultural lesson than what we got. It was more an actual language lesson.
But fun is was. Great concept.

Our Dear Danish Visitor,
Thank you very much for your contribution. I am pleased to learn you appreciate our efforts to provide teachers who speak the mother tongue of our guests (the eight of us speak 12 languages altogether). I understand you found the time short, however, as it says on our webpage the one-hour session is only to cover the basics of the language. We also have two and three-hour sessions focusing more on cultural issues and our visitors always have the option to ask the teacher to have a longer lesson. Also, we try to specify at the beginning what we should focus on depending on personal interests. I apologise if it was not clear enough.
Miklós Molnár, director of Hungarolingua