Book In Advance
Tours from Fungarian tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Fungarian
from $80.00
from $66.00
from $231.00
from $65.00
More Info
All reviews hungarian language hour lesson flea market art nouveau three hours budapest trip communist tour public transport goulash beautiful city walking tour miklos pronunciation culture insight introduction tours
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had a Monday afternoon lesson with Emese (I hope I've spelt it correctly!) - two hours long. It was my first time in Budapest, knew nothing about the city or about the language, and was to be honest quite intimidated by it all! But it was great - rainy afternoon spent in a cafe, sipping coffee while learning the Hungarian basics.
After the language lesson, she showed me the best places in town to visit - and they've been great recommendations!
I'd absolutely recommend a Fungarian lesson, especially if you're travelling alone.

Date of experience: November 2012
miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Happy to hear you liked the class with Emese. She just loves this job. I hope you had a good time in Hungary. Miklos

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our instructor was really enthusiastic and clearly well educated, and gave us a great insight into Hungary's history and some basics of the language, all in just over an hour. Highly recommended

Dear Adam,
Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripavisor. My colleague and the our whole team were very pleased. Miklos

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a personal letter of thanks to Miklos that everyone can read.

Dear Miklos,
I have no word but Koszonom (accent less I'm afraid) to say to you after today. It was one of the most extraordinary experiences of my life: a crash course in Magyar language and politics. You are a wonderful man and a true pleasure to spend a morning with. I recommend everyone to hunt you down and see what Budapest has to offer when guided by a master. I trust that this will not be the last time we meet.

David

3  Thank TheDadofChas
miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Kedves Dávid!
Örülök. My colleagues and I are always delighted to have some positive feedback. It’s a great professional reward for us to know that our guests share our enthusiasm in making our language and culture more known to the other peoples.
Miklós

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had booked a one-hour lesson. Our teacher was Reka. And amazingly she was able to speak Danish as we do. I think it is a fantastic service to provide teachers who speak the native language of the students. In one hour we certainly learned that it is not so easy to learn and speak Hungarian. One very good thing is that the Hungarian pronunciation is consistent to the spelling. The Danish language is very different on this point.
The lesson is centered around one page with some phrases you have to learn. I think I expected a little more social / cultural lesson than what we got. It was more an actual language lesson.
But fun is was. Great concept.

Our Dear Danish Visitor,
Thank you very much for your contribution. I am pleased to learn you appreciate our efforts to provide teachers who speak the mother tongue of our guests (the eight of us speak 12 languages altogether). I understand you found the time short, however, as it says on our webpage the one-hour session is only to cover the basics of the language. We also have two and three-hour sessions focusing more on cultural issues and our visitors always have the option to ask the teacher to have a longer lesson. Also, we try to specify at the beginning what we should focus on depending on personal interests. I apologise if it was not clear enough.
Miklós Molnár, director of Hungarolingua

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Fungarian was one of the best, most unique experiences on a four-day trip to Budapest. Why doesn’t every city have this!?! It really helps set the stage for a visit to the city. I learned how to pronounce tricky Hungarian consonants and vowels, several key words/phrases (please, thank you, bring me the bill, I would like some coffee), got info on favorite local foods and deeper insight into the collective psyche of Hungarians based on their long, unsettled history.

I'd read plenty of history and background about Budapest in guide books, online etc, but Fungarian really helped to bring it all home. Lilla was fabulous! She answered all my questions and even told personal stories of her life growing up around Budapest.

I took the 1-hour class and afterward felt confident in my new words and phrases and started using them right away with locals when I went to the main market. It was great!

Set it up for your one of your first few days in town. Miklos, the director, was super responsive and accommodating. Highly recommended!

1  Thank whenyougo

Thank you for all your praise. Lilla was delighted to have this feedback. Cheers, miklos