“A lot of fun”

and up
Budapest Jewish Heritage Walking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Fun, interesting things to do in Budapest and ways to learn about Hungarian language & culture... Our Fungarian(R) classes are the perfect, relaxed way to begin your visit to Budapest. Whether you are interested in learning a few basic Hungarian words and phrases to help you learn more about the Hungarian culture or interested in one-on-one Hungarian tuition we would be delighted to help you. We are sure our Budapest city tours are the best on offer and that you will agree when you let one of our knowledgeable friendly guides show you the city. Our thematic tours like Communism tour, Art Nouveau Tour, The Flea Market Tour or the Public Transport Tour are among the most popular ones. Discover Budapest's hidden highlights with a knowledgeable guide as part of your own privately guided tour.
Denmark
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A lot of fun”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had booked a one-hour lesson. Our teacher was Reka. And amazingly she was able to speak Danish as we do. I think it is a fantastic service to provide teachers who speak the native language of the students. In one hour we certainly learned that it is not so easy to learn and speak Hungarian. One very good thing is that the Hungarian pronunciation is consistent to the spelling. The Danish language is very different on this point.
The lesson is centered around one page with some phrases you have to learn. I think I expected a little more social / cultural lesson than what we got. It was more an actual language lesson.
But fun is was. Great concept.

miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Our Dear Danish Visitor,
Thank you very much for your contribution. I am pleased to learn you appreciate our efforts to provide teachers who speak the mother tongue of our guests (the eight of us speak 12 languages altogether). I understand you found the time short, however, as it says on our webpage the one-hour session is only to cover the basics of the language. We also have two and three-hour sessions focusing more on cultural issues and our visitors always have the option to ask the teacher to have a longer lesson. Also, we try to specify at the beginning what we should focus on depending on personal interests. I apologise if it was not clear enough.
Miklós Molnár, director of Hungarolingua

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Unique and worth it!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Fungarian was one of the best, most unique experiences on a four-day trip to Budapest. Why doesn’t every city have this!?! It really helps set the stage for a visit to the city. I learned how to pronounce tricky Hungarian consonants and vowels, several key words/phrases (please, thank you, bring me the bill, I would like some coffee), got info on favorite local foods and deeper insight into the collective psyche of Hungarians based on their long, unsettled history.

I'd read plenty of history and background about Budapest in guide books, online etc, but Fungarian really helped to bring it all home. Lilla was fabulous! She answered all my questions and even told personal stories of her life growing up around Budapest.

I took the 1-hour class and afterward felt confident in my new words and phrases and started using them right away with locals when I went to the main market. It was great!

Set it up for your one of your first few days in town. Miklos, the director, was super responsive and accommodating. Highly recommended!

1 Thank whenyougo
miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for all your praise. Lilla was delighted to have this feedback. Cheers, miklos
southport
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A must do start to your visit to Hungary”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked a session after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor
Our teacher was Lilia and we had a valuable session in a local bar / cafe close to our hotel
We learnt about the origins of the language, useful phrases as well as some local history and culture.
We found that the local people greatly appreciated our efforts to speak Hungarian and were every encouraging
I would strongly recommend Fungarian even for a short visit to Budapest

1 Thank gloves
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Do this first!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

If you are visiting Hungary, i highly recommend you do this class on your first full day, so that you can br a good ambassador right from the start, We are expats and plan to live in Budapest for two years. This crash course in Hungarian language and culture was very helpful to us, and I wish we had done it our second day here. Miklós did a custom class for our family of 5. He went over the Hungarian alphabet, because, even though Hungarian sounds difficult, it is completely phonetic, so once you learn to pronounce the letters, you can pronounce anythng. We also learned the basic phrases, "Hello," " Thank you," " "I would like," and how to count. Even more valuable than the language were the various cultural tips he gave us about how to greet people (or not - a woman saying hello to a man she doesn't know on the street could be construed as an invitation, but one should always say hello when entering an elevator or shop) how to order and eat in restaurants, how to behave in the workplace, etc. it made us realize we still have a lot to learn about the subtleties of Hungarian culture.

4 Thank Emily M
London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good way to start the trip”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We booked a session for soon after we arrived which is the only sensible time to have it. You get a chance to chat to a guide (we had Miklos, who I believe is the boss) who teaches you the basic lingo, customs, culture, some basic phrases, although I found it was too many phrases to learn in one session. Stick to a few basics like hello, goodbye, thank you, bathroom, and you'll be fine.

I more enjoyed the conversations about the culture and mentality of the Hungarian people. The things to avoid when talking to the local people. etc

Miklos comes across as fairly reserved (which depends on where you've come from too). Don't expect big, loud "how are you???"'s and hugs and smiles. That's just not him. But he's an open, honest guy and will give you honest answers to whatever you ask him. So ask away!

Visited August 2012