“My favorite restaurant on Vaci Utca”

Sorforras Etterem es Rendezvenyterem
Ranked #472 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Eastern European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I avoid eating on Vaci Utca but could not avoid it one day -- my teen age sons were ravenous and losing patience with me ... so after checking out the menus of other restaurants nearby, we chose the Sorfarras because they had tradtional Hungarian dishes (sorry, but why go to Hungary if you are not going to try the cuisine?)

We sat inside as it was incredibly warm that day -- our waiter was Mr. Molnar -- an excellent, well trained waiter who took very good care of us. We all had different dishes -- my son, who is a gulyas/porkolt expert, rated his prix fixe meal very highly -- soup, with porkolt & dumplings, palacsinta for dessert -- it was great.

My other sons had chicken paprikas and schnitzel, I had stuffed cabbage and the raspberry trifle for dessert -- it was excellent.

I would eat there again -- we enjoyed it -- food, service and atmosphere!

There are newer reviews for Sorforras Etterem es Rendezvenyterem

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I came to this restaurant on my last day in Budapest and had the three course set lunch menu for HUF2900 plus wine and coffee. As it was a little chilly I elected to sit inside and it was immediately apparent that this restaurant was a class above many of the other places I had visited with exceptional service from the waiters who were suitably dressed as such and quality food in very pleasant surroundings. .

I do believe the set menu is only available from 12-2pm and is probably why I had missed it. I wished I had looked closer at the menu when passing previously and certainly if this was not my last day, I would have returned.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Nice, good looking restaurant in the Vaci utca offers turistical menu's. It was real Hungarian
food with desert. The service was good and waiters were very polite. The tip is included in
account.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We had dinner at this restaurant, centrally located on the Vaci Utca near the Elizabeth Bridge. It is located in a very beautiful old building. While there was no one else in the restaurant at the time we visited and only a few people on the patio (and they were drinking only and not eating), we thought it was because it was fairly early for dinner. Maybe, based upon our experience, it was based upon more.

The food was just ok, for the cost it just isn't worth it. My wife had beaf on gnocchi and it was just ok. I had steak with pan fried potatoes, and again it was just ok. Not bad but not impressive either.

The service was just ok at best. Highly professional and perfunctuary. Sometimes we had to wait to find our waiter (and there was no one else dining in the restaurant!).

Given the quality of the food and the cost (it's pretty expensive), I can't recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stumbled on this restaurant as it is on the main shopping street. Look for the statue of a waiter holding the menu and you won't miss it.

There is a good choice of Hungarian and Euro dishes and the service was good. I had the goose liver selection for the starter which at about £10 was good value for 4 different foie gras dishes.

We ran out of time, or would have gone there a second time