“Best food I have ever eaten” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pater Marcus Abbey

Pater Marcus Abbey
Ranked #149 of 3,043 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Belgian, Bar, European, Pub, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Piestany
“Best food I have ever eaten”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Nice place near the hotel where I stayed. I had goose specialties and it was perfect. Good service and nice people.

Visited November 2012

• Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
“Great prices and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stumbled across this Belgium style restaurant. As the nights were cool we ate downstairs and the atmosphere was great.
Service was good and the meals were "Hungarian" style. Loved the veal stew.
Beer selection was great and we tried a few different ones after visiting twice whilst in Budapest.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jane T
Wiesbaden, Germany
“One of the best "finds" in Budapest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

This delightful and fun "Belgium" style restaurant is a hidden gem and mostly local crowd. The best selection of Belgium beers outside of Brussels with food to match. Sit outside if weather permits but do see the downstairs inside for a warm and friendly enviornment. Menu is reasonably prices with lots of seafood/fish dishes and some Hungarian dishes - always ask for the chiefs offerings and have a few beers while there.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank SLHull783
“Lovely but not exciting dining.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

If this were my local I would not only be happy to eat (and probably drink) here but also drag visiting friends and family along. The food was nice, the service was nice and the beer selection is cracking.

I had the mussels which were nice (that word again) while my partner had the duck and sausage cassoulet which was great if a little too hearty. The wine selection is not wonderful but we managed to find an ok bottle for a reasonable price.

Overall my problem with the place was that it was just a little bland. Everything was just nice, rather than being great or exciting or surprising. Whilst I would definitely visit again if it were just round the corner on a rainy night I would not consider it worth a mention if friends were visiting Budapest.

Telford, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food at very good prices!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

On our first night in Budapest we ate at Pater Marcus Abbey which was right next to our hotel, the Carlton Hotel. The food was delicious, we had a traditional Hungarian stew which was very flavoursome and like nothing I'd tasted before. The drink variety was immense as they have many beers available to try, however I didn't try any and drank wine instead - the wine worked out at about 80p per glass. Very good prices indeed! The waiter was very friendly and was happy to speak English to us, which helped as we were all a bit disorientated from our flight.

Wouldn't hesitate to go back there again if I went to Budapest.

• Visited September 2012