“Lovely but not exciting dining.”
Review of Pater Marcus Abbey

Pater Marcus Abbey
Ranked #299 of 3,550 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If this were my local I would not only be happy to eat (and probably drink) here but also drag visiting friends and family along. The food was nice, the service was nice and the beer selection is cracking.

I had the mussels which were nice (that word again) while my partner had the duck and sausage cassoulet which was great if a little too hearty. The wine selection is not wonderful but we managed to find an ok bottle for a reasonable price.

Overall my problem with the place was that it was just a little bland. Everything was just nice, rather than being great or exciting or surprising. Whilst I would definitely visit again if it were just round the corner on a rainy night I would not consider it worth a mention if friends were visiting Budapest.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

On our first night in Budapest we ate at Pater Marcus Abbey which was right next to our hotel, the Carlton Hotel. The food was delicious, we had a traditional Hungarian stew which was very flavoursome and like nothing I'd tasted before. The drink variety was immense as they have many beers available to try, however I didn't try any and drank wine instead - the wine worked out at about 80p per glass. Very good prices indeed! The waiter was very friendly and was happy to speak English to us, which helped as we were all a bit disorientated from our flight.

Wouldn't hesitate to go back there again if I went to Budapest.

1  Thank Tasha H
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Good wine and beer selection. Good food, just a few steps from Carlton Hotel. Some tables outside. Good sevice.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Rather unfriendly staff especially when we wanted to order wine instead of the extensive list of Belgian Beers that they stocked. Food was good value.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Good food at suprisingly good prices, particularly given its proximity to Castle Hill. The staff are charming, the outdoors area not particularly pretty but that really doesn't matter, and the indoors dining room quite stunning.