“This place rules #YOLO”

Carpe Noctem Hostel
Reviewed April 7, 2013

It's totally impossible to stay here and not have the best time ever, unless you're someone who hates awesome staff, making friends, seeing cool stuff, extra large nights out and sleeping in quiet comfortable beds.

Room Tip: One of the rooms has a balcony. If you're not able to avoid falling up and over railings then av...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Carpe Noctem Hostel

Reviewed April 6, 2013

If you are traveling alone, Carpe Noctem is the perfect place to meet people. I first stayed at Carpe Noctem in Oct. 2012. I booked for 2 days, stayed for 6, and missed two flights home. I then came back and spent 3 months in Budapest at Carpe Noctem. They were the best 3 months of my life. I met so many cool people. The staff is amazing. It's only 22 beds and they don't allow groups larger than four. Everyone hangs out in the living room; a perfect area to meet people. They will help you with any question you have. If they don't know the answer, they will find out for you. They take you out every night to meet up with the three larger sister hostels. Plus, every night is a different theme: Party boat; costume night; party at the baths (seasonal); pub crawl; open mic night. Bottom line is you will not regret staying here if you are open minded and eager to meet people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you're a young and sociable traveller look no further than carpe noctem. It doesn't feel like an institutional hostel, but rather like crashing with some friends of friends who live in Budapest. The staff are some of the highest quality and most fun people I've ever come across; most of them checked in as guests and simply never left. Honestly, one of the main reasons I eventually checked out was because I was afraid I would abandon my real world responsibilities and do the same.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Studying in Paris, I have friends that constantly tell me about their crazy weekends and the first time I arrived in Budapest was due to the glorious stories from a close friend of mine. Everything from the thermal baths during the day which heal you from the outrageous evenings you encounter, I knew I wanted in. To say my first experience at Carpe was incredible is an understatement. I was welcomed by a friendly staff and It felt as though we had been friends already. By the time I had to leave the first time, I was already trying to change my flight, which the only reason I made it home, was my friend who was clearly more responsible, and promised me that we would return. WHICH WE DID, as I just recently got back from staying at Carpe this past week, and I ended up having an even more outrageous and hilarious time. So many people are looking for the same kind of fun, then you make friends (dare I say romance, fleeting or not) and you come back with an experience that I can only say is addicting. Even though my flight was cancelled, Carpe welcomed my friend and I back with open arms and showed us such great hospitality, not to mention a good time each night. As to why anyone would stay elsewhere in Budapest is beyond me, because you meet everyone from the other party hostels anyways, so you feel a part of the community, whether your stay is brief or for weeks... The city is already so alive, and the staff, Claws whom I loved the moment she bear hugged me upon first meeting me, Scrumpy who is just adorable and always playing great music, Scotty who seems to charm every person with his ridiculous personality, as well as others like Rikki, Jakes, Germany, really everyone, I fell in love with each of their quirky personalities, and I have no problem calling each of them friends at the end of the day. (You get close when you spend your mornings and afternoons hungover as a community, as well as drunk off your head during the evenings.)
Love the hostel
Love the people
Love my stories
And I def. will be returning...
(although I'll need a break to recover from my last trip in particular.. It was too epic.)
:3 So Stay at Carpe, collect some stories, and you'll be trying to get back there in no time, no doubt.

Room Tip: Stay in Simpla, there is a progressive piece of art that the staff let me draw on the back of the ro...
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My friend and I ended up at Carpe Noctem on accident, but its was an accident we loved. The staff rivals that friendliness of a 5 star hotel with a crazy party edge of course. The whole staff is like one big family only happy to adopt anyone who walks through the door. The hostel was extremely clean, secure, and had an awesome, friendly, and considerate atmosphere. The night we arrived I happened to be turining 21 and the staff and group made my birthday the best one I've ever had. I even accidently left some money and a debit card out all night and someone found it and returned it to me the next day. The Bar crawl lead by "Claws" was amazing and gave you a very different view of the city, though the bars/nightclubs got a bit hazzy and more difficult to remember as the night wore on. The next day I woke up dragging and still a bit drunk and got a breakfast made by "Scrumpy" which was delicious. I've stayed in quite a few places all over the world and nothing compares to Carpe Noctem, it was the best hostel/city/experience/Birthday ever! I can't wait to go back and no hostel or hotel can or will ever be able to compare to Carpe Noctem. Love you guys!!! Be back soon!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hostel was AMAZING. The staff was friendly, funny and helpful. I felt safe, in a clean enviornment, and thanks to them I never had a boring night. A few people suggested I stay at Retox (another hostel in the same group), which I did before switching, it was NOT for me. I am so glad I ended up at Carpe Noctem for the rest of my stay. The experience was soooo much better. This hostel is now the high bar to which I compare all other hostels. And really they have made my other hostel stays look like $h!t. I will remember the people I met there and the fun that I had for many years to come. They made my time in Budapest the best it could have possibly been. I would definitely stay there again, and I have already told about a dozen people to look them up if they go to Budapest.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

A long time ago...

It was early in the morning - grey sky - and I decided to go on the road on with a sign written on it: Budapest! Two days later... I reached it. It was late in the night.. and I was really tired. Heading for a internet cafe looking for a hostel. And I saw this sign and name "Carpe Noctem"....and my brain remembered this one guy (I met in Riga) who told me about this place. So I thought... go for it - sleep! 40 minutes later and a crazy walk through the city I came there.. 5 minutes later on the stairs I finally reached the "top floor" and the entry to a new incredible awesome episode of my life.
Carpe Noctem is just the place you enter and feel home - even if you enter it after a trip like mine. You easily get together with all the people in this little family hang out on the couch during the day and hang out in the best pubs, clubs, on a boat or where ever in the night.
I dont wanna tell to many stories because my introduction was already to long...and there are just to much so I just end with this: "Carpe Noctem means fun, crazy nights and awesome people - just an amazing time!"

Thank you guys for everything!

Room Tip: Every bed is good even the couch! Go for it!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo