“TAKE ON THE NIGHT IN A MAJESTIC HOSTEL OF GLORY.”

Carpe Noctem Hostel
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“TAKE ON THE NIGHT IN A MAJESTIC HOSTEL OF GLORY.”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Studying in Paris, I have friends that constantly tell me about their crazy weekends and the first time I arrived in Budapest was due to the glorious stories from a close friend of mine. Everything from the thermal baths during the day which heal you from the outrageous evenings you encounter, I knew I wanted in. To say my first experience at Carpe was incredible is an understatement. I was welcomed by a friendly staff and It felt as though we had been friends already. By the time I had to leave the first time, I was already trying to change my flight, which the only reason I made it home, was my friend who was clearly more responsible, and promised me that we would return. WHICH WE DID, as I just recently got back from staying at Carpe this past week, and I ended up having an even more outrageous and hilarious time. So many people are looking for the same kind of fun, then you make friends (dare I say romance, fleeting or not) and you come back with an experience that I can only say is addicting. Even though my flight was cancelled, Carpe welcomed my friend and I back with open arms and showed us such great hospitality, not to mention a good time each night. As to why anyone would stay elsewhere in Budapest is beyond me, because you meet everyone from the other party hostels anyways, so you feel a part of the community, whether your stay is brief or for weeks... The city is already so alive, and the staff, Claws whom I loved the moment she bear hugged me upon first meeting me, Scrumpy who is just adorable and always playing great music, Scotty who seems to charm every person with his ridiculous personality, as well as others like Rikki, Jakes, Germany, really everyone, I fell in love with each of their quirky personalities, and I have no problem calling each of them friends at the end of the day. (You get close when you spend your mornings and afternoons hungover as a community, as well as drunk off your head during the evenings.)
Love the hostel
Love the people
Love my stories
And I def. will be returning...
(although I'll need a break to recover from my last trip in particular.. It was too epic.)
:3 So Stay at Carpe, collect some stories, and you'll be trying to get back there in no time, no doubt.

Room Tip: Stay in Simpla, there is a progressive piece of art that the staff let me draw on the back of the ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My friend and I ended up at Carpe Noctem on accident, but its was an accident we loved. The staff rivals that friendliness of a 5 star hotel with a crazy party edge of course. The whole staff is like one big family only happy to adopt anyone who walks through the door. The hostel was extremely clean, secure, and had an awesome, friendly, and considerate atmosphere. The night we arrived I happened to be turining 21 and the staff and group made my birthday the best one I've ever had. I even accidently left some money and a debit card out all night and someone found it and returned it to me the next day. The Bar crawl lead by "Claws" was amazing and gave you a very different view of the city, though the bars/nightclubs got a bit hazzy and more difficult to remember as the night wore on. The next day I woke up dragging and still a bit drunk and got a breakfast made by "Scrumpy" which was delicious. I've stayed in quite a few places all over the world and nothing compares to Carpe Noctem, it was the best hostel/city/experience/Birthday ever! I can't wait to go back and no hostel or hotel can or will ever be able to compare to Carpe Noctem. Love you guys!!! Be back soon!

Maynooth, Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hostel was AMAZING. The staff was friendly, funny and helpful. I felt safe, in a clean enviornment, and thanks to them I never had a boring night. A few people suggested I stay at Retox (another hostel in the same group), which I did before switching, it was NOT for me. I am so glad I ended up at Carpe Noctem for the rest of my stay. The experience was soooo much better. This hostel is now the high bar to which I compare all other hostels. And really they have made my other hostel stays look like $h!t. I will remember the people I met there and the fun that I had for many years to come. They made my time in Budapest the best it could have possibly been. I would definitely stay there again, and I have already told about a dozen people to look them up if they go to Budapest.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed March 16, 2013

A long time ago...

It was early in the morning - grey sky - and I decided to go on the road on with a sign written on it: Budapest! Two days later... I reached it. It was late in the night.. and I was really tired. Heading for a internet cafe looking for a hostel. And I saw this sign and name "Carpe Noctem"....and my brain remembered this one guy (I met in Riga) who told me about this place. So I thought... go for it - sleep! 40 minutes later and a crazy walk through the city I came there.. 5 minutes later on the stairs I finally reached the "top floor" and the entry to a new incredible awesome episode of my life.
Carpe Noctem is just the place you enter and feel home - even if you enter it after a trip like mine. You easily get together with all the people in this little family hang out on the couch during the day and hang out in the best pubs, clubs, on a boat or where ever in the night.
I dont wanna tell to many stories because my introduction was already to long...and there are just to much so I just end with this: "Carpe Noctem means fun, crazy nights and awesome people - just an amazing time!"

Thank you guys for everything!

Room Tip: Every bed is good even the couch! Go for it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio de Areco, Argentina
Reviewed March 10, 2013

hello my friends from Budapest! we love your hostel it's such a nice place. We will for sure recommand it to our friends from argentina/chile. next time we will also saty in our place, I hope we will come back there soon! love you x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria F
Bourne Lincolnshire
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I arrived at Carpe Noctum quite early after an overnight train, and as my bed wasnt ready yet I sat in the lounge area and watched as random crazy characters emerged, pushing through the effects of the previous night. My first impression then was of a bunch of mates hanging out together, and importantly I couldn´t tell who was staff and who wasn´t; there´s no reception area, I just walked straight in and hung out on the couch. Everyone was so relaxed together, and with only 2 dorm rooms I didn´t feel like I was in a hostel at all, brilliant!
Being un-organised and un-knowing of the city has never mattered so little. Right from check-in the staff told me everywhere to go, from restaurants to caving, and even put my name down for the caving so all I had to do was turn up. They really are happy to help.
Then of course the organised nights out blew my expectations of any night out I´ve been on. Where else would I be able to party on a night cruise up the river, go to a techno rave in the thermal baths, and witness a 150 drink Jager-train, all in about 4 days! The fact that the four party hostels will often go to the same venues means that you feel like part of a huge family, and knit even closer to the people in your own hostel. The companionship in these hostels is amazing. Being a part of these hostels also means discounts on drinks, free entry to bars (and the bars in Budapest are unique), and the opportunity to go out in a dress and do an open mic night without feeling like a muppet.
The hostels are cleaned daily, as are the staff, so the facilities are always comfortable and clean.
Fantastic location, within a few minutes of clubs, food, the river, and walking tours - and right by nyguati station and the metro; everything´s reachable from carpe.
Budapest is a beautiful city, but the people I´ve met at Carpe have made this trip for me; if there is any hostel you want to stay at in Budapest, go to Carpe, make some friends and a bag full of crazy memories. A truly unique place.

Room Tip: Every rooms a gooden.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 4, 2013

To start off, I'm usually paranoid of hostels, so I tend to avoid them. But I was travelling with a friend who had stayed here before and loved it, and now its easy to see why. From the moment you walk in, you feel right at home. The staff are genuinely nice and very helpful. There are nightly events organized to keep the fun rolling. The other guests are easy to get along with, the hostel isn't noisy and the beds are comfortable. The hostel is centrally located, very tidy and above all very safe. Would highly recommend staying here if your going to Budapest...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends