“Quirky, artsy and just wonderful!”
Review of Brody House

Brody House
Ranked #3 of 190 Budapest B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Two couples stayed at Brody house for four nights before we embarked on a river cruise. This place is just fabulous although when you enter you might not be so sure. You come in to an unmarked entrance and are staring at a large empty foyer with a huge marble stairway. Reception is on the second floor which is three flights up. Szilvi was there to greet us and get us to our rooms which were across the courtyard and up another flight of stairs. Szilvi is a tiny thing who grabbed our bags and ran them right up the stairs! We had the Tinai room for two nights and then had to change to the Claret because of a computer crash that lost their reservation info. However. They moved our luggage while we were out that day.

I cannot say enough about this place. It is charming in a shabby chic way without trying to be shabby chic. The hospitality and service is the best you will ever find. The only downside is the number of staircases to be negotiated between the rooms and the reception, common spaces.

I wouldn't dream of going to Budapest and staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: The Tinei was our favorite. The Claret has the shower in the bedroom which I didn't particularl...

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at Brody House in early October 2013 and can only describe it as excellent. I had 'e' mail contact with the hotel staff prior to arrival and all my messages were answered promptly and thoroughly. We stayed in Gaspar Room, which could really be described as an apartment. Our welcome (Szilvi) was most welcoming, we were shown to our room immediately, all its facilities were explained and advice offered re visiting the city. The 'room' has lounge, fully equipped kitchen and bathroom on one level whilst the double bedroom is upstairs. All rooms are of a generous size and well equipped with the usual hotel offerings. The rooms were spotlessly clean and maintained that way throughout our stay by the daily visits from cleaning staff. The room is not air conditioned (not needed in October) but the central heating was efficient and controlled by a wall thermostat in the lounge. We had breakfast in the hotel on one day, which was a buffet style continental breakfast. The choice was excellent and well on a par with breakfasts provided at 4 and 5* hotels I have stayed in. The staff working in the breakfast room were friendly and helpful explaining what was available and were very attentive. I would agree with other reviewers that this is a hotel with a difference and I mean that in a positive way, the atmosphere created by the staff is one more akin to a private club and not in any intrusive way. The location is fine for visiting most of the sights in Buda, obviously the Pest side is across the river so a little further away but still not a problem and easily within walking distance. The staff in the hotel, and in particular Szilvi and Vivien, were just amazingly helpful and friendly, by far the best hotel staff I have encountered after visiting many countries. If I ever have the opportunity to visit Budapest again I will look no further than Brody House for my accommodation. Fantastic.

Room Tip: Gaspar is on the ground floor along with a couple of other rooms. Some of the others are on the 2nd...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at Brody House from the 21st - 23rd and had the most memorable stay. I had booked the Printa Suite and it was better than any of the website images could portray.

We were able to check in early and Vivien from the Reception kindly showed us around to explain everything thoroughly. Very personalised service - as other reviews have expressed, you feel like you are staying with very cool friends.

Cannot fault breakfast or indeed the very cool 'honesty bar' principle (you can serve yourself drinks from the bar and note down what you consumed) - we made use of it every day, having a relaxed drink upstairs after sight seeing and trip around Budapest.

Prices are absolutely decent and Szilvi was kind enough to only charge us for 2 coffees rather than 2 breakfasts as we didnt have much to eat on the morning of our departure.

The building itself is fantastic and those who enjoy art and like to stay somewhere with a difference - this is the place to come to.

We did not unfortunately see the Brody Studios but that is just another reason to return. Szilvi and Vivien were both fantastic with assisting to make my boyfriends Birthday special, arranging a cake and helping with bookings for dinners.

FANTASTIC STAY and I will be back for sure!

Room Tip: if you want to go somewhere for amazing food and great atmosphere, the MAK Bistro is a 10 minute wal...
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Interiors are fantastic: a mix of fleamarket finds and vintage furtniture, complete with glossy parquet and high ceiling. Rough luxe in other words. Much more fun than city's corporate business hotels!

Room Tip: Even Standard Rooms are about 30 square meters large, so it is great value for money all around at t...
1  Thank Kristaps K
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gaspar Room for five nights in September 2013. Overall, I like my stay at the Brody House, it was certainly very special and quite unlike staying at a hotel, but a different side of the coin is you will inevitably run into issues you don't quite normally encounter at a typical hotel. My recommendation is - if you choose to say here, definitely get help as soon as you encounter problems (heating, bed, etc) I will layout the pros and cons of my stay here:

Pros:
- Good location, next to the Hungarian National Museum and the University. Good crowd, no obvious tourist traps nearby
- Unique experience, the Gaspard room is a small apartment with a nice kitchen and the sleeping and dressing area on the second floor. The decoration is unique and tasteful
- Clean, I am usually very wary of places with kitchen (because there is just so much more stuff that requires cleaning), but Brody House's sanitary standard is quite good
- Friendly staff

Cons:
- Uncomfortable mattress, low quality / poorly maintained mattresses is usually a common problem with a lot of the smaller / boutique hotels, unfortunately Brody House has the same issue. When I lay flat on the mattress, I could feel the springs digging into my back, also the mattress slumps in the middle. My husband has to resort to sleeping on the floor and I dug out a thin mattress pad to lay on the top of the original mattress. This arrangement was not great, but bearable, until somehow on our last night we realized the cleaning lady had removed the mattress pad from the apartment. But when I realized that, it was already mid-night and the receptionist was off for the day. I suppose we could have complained after the first night...but we didn't, so we suffered
- Heating, we tried to turn on the gas heater ourselves, but nothing happened, so our first four nights was spent in a rather chilly room (our apartment only has 1 window and we don't get much sunlight). On the fourth night, our next door neighbor complained and the staff came in to adjust the room temperature...after which the room was much warmer and nicer.
- No phone, our apartment did not have a phone (?!) we couldn't even call the reception desk
- Expensive breakfast, the optional breakfast is 8 euro per day per person...which is really quite steep

Again, I would still recommend this hotel, but again just don't be shy if you run into any problems - make sure you get help immediately.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hedonist97
VivienOrban, Manager at Brody House, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

What a shame that you did not enjoy Brody House's service or offering as much as other visitors - we will review scope for improvement as we continually do anyway. We are glad that our historic building at least met with your approval.

With specific reference to your comments and for the benefit of other readers, I note as follows:

1.) The Brody House building is a landmark building and 122 years old - the staircase is an architectural feature which, being rather grand, would be marred by installing an elevator. The steps are not steep (being created to accommodate long 19th century ballgowns) but guests do need to climb 78 of them. I am surprised by your comment about lack of assistance with your bags as our staff is always happy to assist as was the airport driver we arranged for you in advance. I gather he did come up to the top floor to collect your bags - please advise if this did not actually happen.

2.) As a small hotel we do not operate a 24 hour front desk (as larger hotels do) although our reception/concierge team is prepared to help ensure each customer's stay at Brody House is as comfortable by recommending/booking unusual non touristy restaurants, bars, backstage Opera tours and local wine tastings. Our desk hours are 8 am and 8 pm daily but the kitchen staff arrive at 6am and the last receptionist usually leaves around 9pm or once all our guests have headed out for their evening programmes. All guests are supplied our personal phone numbers should they need anything out of hours and have courtesy access to our private members' club (Brody Studios) whose bar/kitchen is open late on Wednesday-Saturday. It would be helpful if you could specify exactly what service/request our team did not deliver so I can address your concern more specifically.

3.) As for neighbour disturbance, it sounds like your neighbour was a loud sneezer or you maybe your window was open. We have thick walls throughout the building and have taken all appropriate steps to maximise privacy and guest comfort - sure, echoes and creaks are part of the charm/limitation of operating in a historic building of this nature. I am sorry you did not register this issue with us during the course of your stay as we would have tried to relocate you to another room. Any practical suggestions gratefully received if you think we overlooked something on the soundproofing front.

4.) Interesting to hear that you were not taken by Brody House's design and 'upcycling' styling - our team tries to use local materials, products and artwork wherever possible. We try out new ideas regularly although it sounds like our style is simply not your cup of tea.

Re The Four Seasons, I am confident that you would enjoy their product/offering - we often recommend them (and vice versa) as it is a wonderful large 5 star hotel. As it happens, a number of their senior management team are Brody House club members. Much as we admire their work, we do not pretend to emulate them (or their pricing) but aspire to offer something a little different that appeals to people looking for a unique and highly affordable experience.

Best Wishes,

Szilvi

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Many hotels call themselves boutique these days, but Brody House is very deserving of that title - unique, interesting and small, with the personal service that this enables. Housed in a former "palace" (wealthy doctor's house) built in 1896, the building is beautiful and so was our room. We chose Bullet for it's XL bath, but should also mention the XL bed. Very romantic.

We loved both the 24 hour honesty bar and the breakfast, both served in a gorgeous sunny room.

The location is also great, just a stroll from the hip Jewish quarter and the metro.

Overall, we loved Brody House and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for cool, quirky accommodation in Budapest.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at Brody House in early September and I'll say straight away that I would stay there again. Probably. Everything others have noted is true - beautiful old building, lovely staff, great bar, nice vibe. But there are several little things they could do so much better. For a start (& I know this hasn't been others' experience or view) we thought the breakfast was expensive and very ordinary. Worst of all, the coffee was virtually undrinkable (& this in a city that prides itself on good coffee). So after the first day, we took to buying pastries from a lovely cake shop down the road and getting take-out coffees from the Italian cafe next door-ish. Second, we booked the Yusuke apartment on the basis that we knew there is a famous market in Budapest and we hoped to self-cater a bit. But the apartment was totally unequipped for it. Yes, there is a kitchen but the cooker looks unused (no wonder, it wasn't the most straightforward piece of equipment to crack). And there was one small pan, one frying pan, a few glasses and a bit of cutlery. No kitchen knife, no chopping board, not even a coffee pot...they really don't want you to use this kitchen at all! My final gripe is that there is a beautiful but small courtyard around which all the rooms are situated. While we were there, another couple (English - everyone staying was English and I think everyone had been on Tripadvisor) took up residence at a table right outside our window - computers, newspapers, coffee, wine...they virtually spent their entire holiday there. It was hot and we needed to have the window open but it was very intrusive (not just to feel that they were practically in the living room with us, but also the bedroom which was on a mezzanine above). So, I might stay there again, though I'd go for a different room and adjust my expectations. But then again, a friend was staying in Budapest at the same time and found a fabulous apartment to stay in for the week, so actually I might follow her lead. If the rating system allowed I'd actually give Brody House 3.5 - above average but not 'very good'.

1  Thank chelterskelter