Brody House
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewshonesty barbrody studiosphoto roomludo roomhonor barmembers clubroll top bathsweeping staircasequirky hotelgrand staircaseno liftnational museumcommunal areasbeautiful old buildingjewish quarterhigh ceilingshome from home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Interiors are fantastic: a mix of fleamarket finds and vintage furtniture, complete with glossy parquet and high ceiling. Rough luxe in other words. Much more fun than city's corporate business hotels!

Room Tip: Even Standard Rooms are about 30 square meters large, so it is great value for money all around at this property.
1  Thank Kristaps K
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Gaspar Room for five nights in September 2013. Overall, I like my stay at the Brody House, it was certainly very special and quite unlike staying at a hotel, but a different side of the coin is you will inevitably run into issues you don't quite normally encounter at a typical hotel. My recommendation is - if you choose to say here, definitely get help as soon as you encounter problems (heating, bed, etc) I will layout the pros and cons of my stay here:

Pros:
- Good location, next to the Hungarian National Museum and the University. Good crowd, no obvious tourist traps nearby
- Unique experience, the Gaspard room is a small apartment with a nice kitchen and the sleeping and dressing area on the second floor. The decoration is unique and tasteful
- Clean, I am usually very wary of places with kitchen (because there is just so much more stuff that requires cleaning), but Brody House's sanitary standard is quite good
- Friendly staff

Cons:
- Uncomfortable mattress, low quality / poorly maintained mattresses is usually a common problem with a lot of the smaller / boutique hotels, unfortunately Brody House has the same issue. When I lay flat on the mattress, I could feel the springs digging into my back, also the mattress slumps in the middle. My husband has to resort to sleeping on the floor and I dug out a thin mattress pad to lay on the top of the original mattress. This arrangement was not great, but bearable, until somehow on our last night we realized the cleaning lady had removed the mattress pad from the apartment. But when I realized that, it was already mid-night and the receptionist was off for the day. I suppose we could have complained after the first night...but we didn't, so we suffered
- Heating, we tried to turn on the gas heater ourselves, but nothing happened, so our first four nights was spent in a rather chilly room (our apartment only has 1 window and we don't get much sunlight). On the fourth night, our next door neighbor complained and the staff came in to adjust the room temperature...after which the room was much warmer and nicer.
- No phone, our apartment did not have a phone (?!) we couldn't even call the reception desk
- Expensive breakfast, the optional breakfast is 8 euro per day per person...which is really quite steep

Again, I would still recommend this hotel, but again just don't be shy if you run into any problems - make sure you get help immediately.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hedonist97
VivienOrban, Manager at Brody House, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

What a shame that you did not enjoy Brody House's service or offering as much as other visitors - we will review scope for improvement as we continually do anyway. We are glad that our historic building at least met with your approval.

With specific reference to your comments and for the benefit of other readers, I note as follows:

1.) The Brody House building is a landmark building and 122 years old - the staircase is an architectural feature which, being rather grand, would be marred by installing an elevator. The steps are not steep (being created to accommodate long 19th century ballgowns) but guests do need to climb 78 of them. I am surprised by your comment about lack of assistance with your bags as our staff is always happy to assist as was the airport driver we arranged for you in advance. I gather he did come up to the top floor to collect your bags - please advise if this did not actually happen.

2.) As a small hotel we do not operate a 24 hour front desk (as larger hotels do) although our reception/concierge team is prepared to help ensure each customer's stay at Brody House is as comfortable by recommending/booking unusual non touristy restaurants, bars, backstage Opera tours and local wine tastings. Our desk hours are 8 am and 8 pm daily but the kitchen staff arrive at 6am and the last receptionist usually leaves around 9pm or once all our guests have headed out for their evening programmes. All guests are supplied our personal phone numbers should they need anything out of hours and have courtesy access to our private members' club (Brody Studios) whose bar/kitchen is open late on Wednesday-Saturday. It would be helpful if you could specify exactly what service/request our team did not deliver so I can address your concern more specifically.

3.) As for neighbour disturbance, it sounds like your neighbour was a loud sneezer or you maybe your window was open. We have thick walls throughout the building and have taken all appropriate steps to maximise privacy and guest comfort - sure, echoes and creaks are part of the charm/limitation of operating in a historic building of this nature. I am sorry you did not register this issue with us during the course of your stay as we would have tried to relocate you to another room. Any practical suggestions gratefully received if you think we overlooked something on the soundproofing front.

4.) Interesting to hear that you were not taken by Brody House's design and 'upcycling' styling - our team tries to use local materials, products and artwork wherever possible. We try out new ideas regularly although it sounds like our style is simply not your cup of tea.

Re The Four Seasons, I am confident that you would enjoy their product/offering - we often recommend them (and vice versa) as it is a wonderful large 5 star hotel. As it happens, a number of their senior management team are Brody House club members. Much as we admire their work, we do not pretend to emulate them (or their pricing) but aspire to offer something a little different that appeals to people looking for a unique and highly affordable experience.

Best Wishes,

Szilvi

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Many hotels call themselves boutique these days, but Brody House is very deserving of that title - unique, interesting and small, with the personal service that this enables. Housed in a former "palace" (wealthy doctor's house) built in 1896, the building is beautiful and so was our room. We chose Bullet for it's XL bath, but should also mention the XL bed. Very romantic.

We loved both the 24 hour honesty bar and the breakfast, both served in a gorgeous sunny room.

The location is also great, just a stroll from the hip Jewish quarter and the metro.

Overall, we loved Brody House and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for cool, quirky accommodation in Budapest.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at Brody House in early September and I'll say straight away that I would stay there again. Probably. Everything others have noted is true - beautiful old building, lovely staff, great bar, nice vibe. But there are several little things they could do so much better. For a start (& I know this hasn't been others' experience or view) we thought the breakfast was expensive and very ordinary. Worst of all, the coffee was virtually undrinkable (& this in a city that prides itself on good coffee). So after the first day, we took to buying pastries from a lovely cake shop down the road and getting take-out coffees from the Italian cafe next door-ish. Second, we booked the Yusuke apartment on the basis that we knew there is a famous market in Budapest and we hoped to self-cater a bit. But the apartment was totally unequipped for it. Yes, there is a kitchen but the cooker looks unused (no wonder, it wasn't the most straightforward piece of equipment to crack). And there was one small pan, one frying pan, a few glasses and a bit of cutlery. No kitchen knife, no chopping board, not even a coffee pot...they really don't want you to use this kitchen at all! My final gripe is that there is a beautiful but small courtyard around which all the rooms are situated. While we were there, another couple (English - everyone staying was English and I think everyone had been on Tripadvisor) took up residence at a table right outside our window - computers, newspapers, coffee, wine...they virtually spent their entire holiday there. It was hot and we needed to have the window open but it was very intrusive (not just to feel that they were practically in the living room with us, but also the bedroom which was on a mezzanine above). So, I might stay there again, though I'd go for a different room and adjust my expectations. But then again, a friend was staying in Budapest at the same time and found a fabulous apartment to stay in for the week, so actually I might follow her lead. If the rating system allowed I'd actually give Brody House 3.5 - above average but not 'very good'.

1  Thank chelterskelter
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Brody House in early September and had a wonderful stay. We were in Tepper room, which (contrary to other reviews) had air conditioning and windows (one of which did open).

We ate the excellent breakfast most mornings.

Great location, comfortable bed, amazingly quirky decor and helpful staff made for a memorable stay.

We would not hesitate to stay here again.