“Connoisseurship” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Budapest Culinary Walk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Food and wine experiences in the new old world.
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Connoisseurship”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Everyone here agrees on the real quality of this experience, and that's a good indication of time well spent on a unique insight into a food culture derived from a lively folk culture in a lovely city. People here are knowledgeable and above all proud of their food and wine, and a walking tour that explores the 'gems' is a stimulating (and filling) experience. What really set the tour apart for us, though, was the passion of our guide, Dora, and the fact that she had an opinion on things! I read somewhere about the value of connoirsseurship - the fact that, whether you agree with someone or not, you can be confident they've come to that opinion through experience and careful consideration, and thy really value that opinion and hold to it for a reason. This makes for authenticity and 'high touch', a sense of sharing an 'insider's' knowledge. As, for example, in the careful selection of just a small number of salamis from the scores available (and otherwise accessible only through an impenetrable language!) Absolutely irreplaceable, highly recommended.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank trabant_02

• Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Treat yourself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I cannot recommend this more highly. I think food tours are a great way to immerse yourself not only in the food but the culture of a place. That is exactly the experience you receive with Taste Hungary. We started at the market sampling delicious local produce and were then taken to some of the hidden gems of Budapest including chocolate, pastry and lolly stop offs. Lunch was great and something that you can't replicate without the help of a local. We finished off with wine tasting which was a nice touch and the wines were divine.

Definitely indulge yourself - it is well worth it. Don't have breakfast because you will be eating a lot. Ask questions - our guide was so happy and informative and really willing to give as much information as possible about everything. I really loved this tour.

3 Thank slcarberry
Michigan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Our Budapest Highlight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We did the Culinary Walk with Barbara as our guide. I'm not sure I can say enough good things about the experience. Everything I would say has already been said!

What I can tell you is that I'm one of those types of people that is only comfortable when I know I have some form of control over a situation. When this Capricorn found himself in the middle of Budapest where I lost the ability to communicate, I was a ball of nerves. In this case, the Taste of Hungary tour saved the day! Barbara was simply amazing; she felt much more like a friend than a hired guide. Her expertise and laid back attitude set my mind at ease and let me relax completely.

I can say this, don't go with any preconceived notions or expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised. In most cases, you will be experiencing things you never would have imagined. Take your sense of adventure and an open mind and mouth and have a blast!

My best suggestion for those who don't often venture outside their comfort zone. Assuming you have no food allergies or sensitivities, try everything BEFORE you find out what it is. You may surprise yourself!

Happy Travels!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank SPGryphon
Dubai
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Did the food tour with Barbara and was the only one booked on it, so got a private tour. And it was fantastic. Started in the local market with many stops to sample the deep-fried bread with garlic slathered on it (sooooooo nice), the cured meats and salamis, cottage cheeses and fresh milk direct from the cow, local gems of eateries, cakes, coffees, pickles, all finished off with wine tasting, Such a good time, and learnt a lot about Budapest/Hungary at the same time, Loved every second and a huge thank you to Barbara.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank kfn219
Burbank, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“So full.. hurt so good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

By far my favorite part of my two week trip in the area was our culinary walking tour with our tour guide Barbara. learned so much history and had some of the best food we had the whole trip for small places off the beaten path. Highly recommend for anyone headed to Budapest. I love learning the history of a place through its food, this tour did just that. we learned history, culture, architecture, you name it it was part of our tour. Having a local tour guide with so much passion and knowledge was amazing. It was fun and tasty... made everyone who didn't join us jealous. We started in the great market and tried so many meats and cheeses then on to a chocolate shop, pastry shop, lunch stand, cake shop and wine shop. Best way to learn this city so full of life.

Visited October 2013