“Terrific time, tasting new things”
Review of Taste Hungary

Hungarian Wine Tasting with Cheese and Charcuterie in Budapest
Ranked #1 of 88 Food & Drink in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Food and wine experiences in the new old world.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Even if you already know a bit about Hungarian food and drink, you will enjoy this fantastic tour! Not only did we hear many interesting anecdotes about Hungarian food, wine, liquor and history, but we ate an incredible amount of delicious food. Everything from salamis, cheeses, langos, ice cream, chocolate, blood sausage, lecsó, mini pickled watermelons, and the list goes on. We would do this again :)

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to go on a Taste Hungary culinary walk during my stay in the city and it was one if the highlights of my visit for sure! It was a great chance to learn about culture, food and life in Hungary while fuelling up on every type of food imaginable! Definitely add this trip to your list for a guaranteed fantastic day, but be sure to arrive with an empty stomach!!

2  Thank Courtney M
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We very much enjoyed this tour - a nice variety of food and drink + local culture. Tour guide was first rate! We continued to visit the eateries throughout our stay. Especially the boutique chocolate shop

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This food tour of Budapest was one of the best 4 hours of my life! A beautiful city, a knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide, and amazing food - what more is there? Judit lives in the area she guides through so was able to give us a very personal tour with her local knowledge. Although officially a food tour, Judit often stopped to point out interesting cultural or historical features and was more than happy to answer questions or give an opinion about anything. She walked us through the market and then many of the quieter streets nearby. We sampled a wide range of food and some wines. There were only 3 of us in the group and this intimacy added to the experience (I understand there is a limit to the number in a group so there were 2 small concurrent tours). Judit's recommendation for my dinner than evening was perfect! I have saved the 'Sweet Walk' for next time.
Others reviewers have outlined the tour in detail so I just want to urge you to consider this as your FIRST experience of Budapest. To understand the food of this country is to understand much of its culture and history. Thank you Judit!

2  Thank Gunny64
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My partner and I agreed without any hesitation at all that our two tours with Taste Hungary were absolutely the highlight of our two-week trip to Amsterdam and Budapest. Hands down. No contest. This was because our guides were fabulous.
The best guides, I think, possess the ability to filter their own personal history, education and experience into a distillation that gives not just a factual accounting of events, but a feeling of what it must be like to be a part of their country, their history and their culture. Dora and Gabor brought this to us with passion, intelligence, knowledge, inherent curiosity, generosity and above all, with humor.
There was a fair amount of walking-a couple of miles in Budapest and a bit more in Tokaj. Tokal involved some rural areas, but nothing that was too much for a pair of street sandals. I wouldn’t recommend heels for either tour.
A word about traditional Hungarian food. Hungarian food predates the discovery of cholesterol, and, for that matter, calories. Contemporary chefs do make a nod to these innovations, but traditional Hungarian cuisine is bound by no such constraints. It is delicious.
Oh - one more word! The word for bathroom is mojdoc (mozsh-döc). It’s a good word to know. Bring pocket change! Many bathrooms in Hungary charge for the privilege. And they (bathrooms) aren’t in serious abundance on the Tokaj tour, though it is much easier to find one on the Food and Wine tour in Budapest.
The Budapest Food Tour
We met Dora at the Central market (very easy to find) at 10AM. She produced a bottle of water for each of us and we proceeded through the market where many locals and restauranteurs shop, trying the national drink, Unicum, and a wonderful fried dough with butter and garlic, moving on to different sausages, (one made with horsemeat-apparently a very popular dish), tongue (which I looooove. They gave it to me when I was little. Didn't tell me what it was. So, they sandbagged me, but it is wonderful stuff.) We finished at the market with fresh local cheeses. And then....only Dora could have talked me into eating chocolates filled with, I kid you not, PORCINI MUSHROOMS! Excellent! At a local lunch spot for the Budapest Wall Street crowd we ate perfect crispy duck, sausages and pickled vegetables (very big in Hungary) and tiny little tart pickled watermelons-very different from our Southern, sweet rind. We passed on the rooster testicles, but they did look surprisingly appetizing. (Really.) We tried the exquisite Esterhazy Torte and Dobos Torte in a traditional patisserie. All of this was accompanied by Dora’s informed, insightful and often humorous explanation of the history and preparation of each dish. It was fascinating and fun! We finished off the day with some Tokal wine in a local bar and went home to not eat dinner. It was fantastic.
The Jewish Heritage and Wine Tour
Gabor met us (with bottles of water) at our hotel at 8AM. We drove in his SUV out to the Tokal region for the Jewish Heritage and Wine tour. We had picked a perfect spring day. Everything was in bloom and we drove through some of the most magnificent country I have ever seen. Rolling green hills and streams, vineyards leading to distant blue violet mountains. So beautiful. More beautiful even than the Blue Ridge country in my part of the US.
This tour was stunning in its scope and view of Jewish Hungarian history in Tokaj in particular and humanity in general. I had never heard of the Tokaj Wine region or the Jews who lived there. Gabor told of the rich history of Jewish winemaking here, the communities that sprang up beginning in the 1700's when the first Jews from Galicia and Poland came, and then more, until Jews eventually comprised about 24 to 25 percent of the local population here. Anti-Semitism was evident-laws were passed as early as the late 1700's to prevent Jews from making "good" wine. (OK, get your Manischewitz jokes out here), and of course, there were the devastating consequences of World War II and then years of Communism. Only a few Jews now live here. After the Communists left, Jews did not return and buy back their land as many other Hungarians did.
We began in the town of Mad, where the US Chasidic community has lovingly restored a beautiful old synagogue (where I, a woman, would be praying in the smaller, much less ornate gallery). Gabor introduced us to the man with the twinkliest blue eyes who has been taking care of the synagogue for decades. He has met presidents and kings and wonder rabbis. He told us, through Gabor, much of the history of the synagogue and the Jews there.
We went on to visit restored and ruined synagogues and cemeteries dating as far back as the 1700's. We discussed the origins of the Vulcan hand symbol that accompanies the greeting, "Live long and prosper." (Thank you, Mr. Nimoy. Star Trek! Bringing cultures together peacefully, even in syndication.) We continued on to eat The. Best. Duck. Ever! in the wonderful restaurant of owner/chef/painter, Pascal Leeman. And the foie gras! Oh! Truly there are not words.......Later that afternoon, my partner and I walked into the cool, cool ancient wine cellar of a Tokaj vintner and tasted several glasses of both sweet and dry lovely, gold Tokaj wine. The tour ended at a wine festival in the town of Istvan. The synagogue here, restored, (unused) is where the Jews of the surrounding areas were brought and made to walk to the trains that would take them to Auschwitz.
We strolled through the festival, people watching, eating the local sweet treat of sugared dough and drinking coffee at a local bar. We got in the SUV and drove back, discussing what we had learned and seen. It was (pardon the expression) sobering. When we arrived back st the hotel Gabor gave us two bottles of the Tokaj wine. And we will toast him when we drink it on Rosh Hashana.

2  Thank bg319