“Our Hungary Highlight”

Hungarian Wine Tasting with Cheese and Charcuterie in Budapest
Ranked #1 of 87 Food & Drink in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Food and wine experiences in the new old world.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I bought a wine tour to the Villány region for my partner after reading up on the growing reputation of Hungary's red varieties. Gabor picked us up from our hotel at 8am, he was ready with two bottles of water and some baked treats. We talked the entire three hour journey and were delighted with local stories about the areas we were passing through.

Our first stop was a little vineyard, Jackfall, that only offers cellar door sales. It's owned by one of the leading wine magazines and situated in a quiet little village. You could see the neighbouring area is poor, but I think that gave us a real insight into how people live in the country and the affect of Soviet rule on Hungary. On arrival at Jackfall a traditonal Hungarian "farmer's breakfast" was laid out with plates of cured meats, cheeses and salad. The wine was INCREDIBLE and we bought two boxes to ship home to Australia. I only wish I could back there right now, it was definitely our favourite place.

Thinking it was impossible to eat anymore after all that meat and cheese Gabor drove on to the Bock Winery, a much larger operation which has a restaurant serving local produce. Thanks to Gabor's recommendation I tried a game meat dish while my partner had a traditional red meat meal. Again we left with yet another box of wine.

From there we took a drive out to see the rows upon rows of family cellars and the fields where the grapes are grown. Absolutely breathtaking. After hundreds of pictures we made it to our last stop - the Sauska Winery, a newer winery with ultra-modern winemaking facilities and a gorgeous tasting area, which includes an outdoor terrace overlooking the vineyards.
Gabor made so much effort to find out about our wine tastes that he also organised for us to try Sauska's speciality tokaj. Another box later and our tour was at an end.

Perhaps we should have bought less, it cost us the same amount as the tour to send 24 bottles back to Australia through an international courier, but we can't wait to get home to share such beautiful red wine with our friends.

I think we were a little younger than those who would normally do tours with Taste Hungary (under 30) but I would highly recommend it to anyone. Gabor was the most amazing guide I ever come across in my travels. He is truly passionate about the local wine, region and you can see he has a good rapport with staff at each of the wineries.

My partner and I may have had to allocate a whole day to this tour but it was well worth it. An absolute highlight and I can't wait to go back to Hungary. The first thing we'll do is book another wine tour, to another region and soak up the best of what the country has to offer.

1  Thank ElleM86

Reviewed May 29, 2013

After my partner and I landed back in the US, we debated over cheeseburgers and margaritas the high points of our Holland-Hungary trip. The peak, we both agreed without even the slightest disagreement, was our experience with Taste Hungary. Considering our trip included everything from seeing Vermeers on a daily basis to running into a cast member of "Game of Thrones," hotels that made Versailles look like a Motel 6, and meals that would have made Wolfgang Puck stick out his plate and beg "More, please" like Oliver Twist on National Gruel Day, this is high praise indeed.

The first tour, the culinary food tour, started at the Central Market Hall, a massive indoor neo-gothic market hall with everything from rooster testicles to the deep-fried snack lángos, a flat beard rubbed with garlic and sprinkled with cheese. We passed on the barnyard fowl's gonads and sampled only the delicious lángos. Our guide, Dora, had the charm of a Roz Russell (No, Roz Russell 's not from Silents. IMDB her.) -smart, warm, open, and funny. She expertly navigated us through pickled watermelon, luscious cheeses, and meats from tongue and salami to ham and horse meat.

Dora then took us outside the hall to experience a buffet of Hungarian tastes, like artisanal chocolate makers (try the mushroom flavored chocolate. OK, it's an unlikely pairing but so was Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft.) and a lunch stop at a joint that offered some of the best duck, I ever had. Then we moved onward to a specialty candy manufacturer/shop, the fabled Central Cafe and a patisserie that served hazelnut cake. But it was no mere pastry.

Blake wrote about the wonder of seeing the world on a grain of sand - but what about a slice of hazelnut cake? Made for the Esterhazy prince in the 19th century, the walnut/almond cake (now called Esterhazy) became to Hungary what apple pie is to America. Its bakers -the Dobos family- became famed and feted, then banished from Budapest during the Stalin era. When communism collapsed, the Dobos family rose again, like a meringue. We wolfed down the Esterhazy and a Dobos torta (multi-layered cake with 5 sheets of chocolate inside topped by a plateau of carmelized sugar) in the gilded-age cafe, devouring the city's history along with the cakes.

Finally we ended the day sipping a variety of wines that were as light as a Viennese waltz. But it was Dora, whose knowledge and friendliness acted like a great chef preparing an unforgettable meal, who turned the tour into something terrific.

3  Thank ChasPappas
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Great time. Went with a group of 5 friends and Judit our guide was friendly, knowledgeable and introduced us to a huge variety of tastes. A little bit expensive, but definitely a premier guide, especially on your first visit to Budapest.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

While I lived in Hungary a couple years back, I went on several Taste Hungary excursions graciously hosted by Gabor and/or Carolyn. Among the tours my friends and I went on, the wine tasting tours to Tokaj and Villany were particularly amazing. The selection of larger and smaller wineries with their lovely wines and the delicious food accompanying the wines made for memorable times. I always let Gabor and Carolyn know ahead of time that I was a vegetarian, and they went out of their way to inform the individual (usually boutique) wineries so that they could be prepared. For a majorly carnivorous country such as Hungary, this was really a big deal and always appreciated. I highly recommend Taste Hungary for their delicious view into the culinary and wine scene in Hungary.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our tour with Taste Hungary was a lovely way to see the countryside of Hungary and learn about their developing wine industry. We provided Taste Hungary a little bit of information on our wine preferences ahead of time and they developed a great itinerary for us that includes visits to several wineries and a perfect traditional Hungarian lunch (with wine pairings, of course!). I would definitely recommend booking a tour with Taste Hungary!

1  Thank Natalie M