“Great tour and we enjoyed it!!!”
Review of Taste Hungary

$80.00*
Budapest Culinary Walk - Sunday Edition
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Food and wine experiences in the new old world.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great tour and we enjoyed it!!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Four of us took a tour on May 8, 2013 and Judith was our tour guide. (Sorry if I spell it wrong!) Firstly, my expectation was quite high as one of us keep complaining about the price and three of us were foodies.!!! The result was satisfactory and everyone was happy.

We started the tour with a shot glass of Unicum (local Plum liquor) and learnt more about its history. Then Judith took us to taste the Logos (Deep fry pastry with sour cream and cheese on top, we were told that was a local dish). It was our new experience and it was a good way to learn how local people eat. We did enjoy it and had fun.

After that we had meat and cheese tasting, before walking around the market to see other parts. Judith told us which paprika we should buy and not to pick the mass production one. We learnt quite a lot from the market but most importantly, we saw real hungarian life style and that what we want.

Next, Judith took us to unique butcher shop which sold the hot food, and we had duck leg & cabbage, sausages, soups and salad. The great thing about this place was we had to stand to eat our food as there was no chair for customer. Surprisingly, we found it was fun to do it.

Furthermore, we stopped at fantastic local chocolate shop, candy factory and pastry shop. The end of the tour we had 3 different wine to taste (Rose', White and Red - they all were Hungarian) near the park.
It was a nice place to sit and relax at the end.

Judith was good and knowledgeable. The tasting portion was generous and in fact you can ask to try more or to have something else if you want to. You do not have to stick with the food that guide pick for you.

To sum up, I read other comments and just want to point out couple things for you:
1) if you are vegetarian - I suggest you to ask for a private tour just for your group, you might have to pay more but it is for your own comfort.
2) if you are looking for intense cooking knowledge, perhaps cooking class might suite you better than this tour as this tour will give you only general information of hungarian culinary.
3) Tous costs about £56pp, and it might be quite expensive for someone but i think it worth it.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank MaxiEdinburgh

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“It will be the highlight of your trip!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have lived in Hungary for several years now and this is not my first review of the Taste Hungary wine tours. I have lost track of how many I have done - I think I've hit almost every region they cover, and it's a stable go-to activity for my out-of-town guests. It always exceeds expectations and becomes the highlight of the visit. The thing that sets this company apart from the rest is the Hungarian-American duo behind this small company. They combine the best of both cultures to bring you an authentic experience with the highest level of service quality. Carolyn literally wrote the book on food and wine in Hungary, and Gabor will instantly feel like your long-lost cousin, welcoming you back home to the region's wineries. I always have a great experience, and everything I said in my previous review holds true. After the experience on my latest tour, I was really compelled to review again. After returning to Budapest at about 10pm, my friend realized that her wallet was missing.....and she was flying out the next day. Gabor went above and beyond to track it down and within the hour it was found safe and sound in the bathroom of the last winery we visited, and the winery made arrangements to have it delivered to my door the next morning by 9am. No small feat considering the winery was a 2.5+ hour drive away! It was completely intact, and Gabor followed up to ensure the transaction went smoothly. Having lived in Hungary for some time, I can attest to the fact that this is highly unusual - and really speaks to the strong relationships this company has with the wineries, and the care they take with their guests. Don't hesitate to take this tour - you won't regret it!

Visited March 2013
Boise, Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such a great day and a great way to experience Hungary!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We did the Taste Hungary wine tour a few years ago while visiting a friend in Budapest. At first we were hesitant about spending a whole day 'wine tasting' - but we were so glad we did it! It was such a wonderful way to spend a day - touring around Hungary. So often when travelling, we stick to the bigger cities and only experience the sights, sounds and tastes within the city - but this tour got us out of the cities and gave us the amazing opportunity to see the beautiful countryside that we would have otherwise missed out on . . even better that we didn't have to drive ourselves! The bonus element was visiting so many wonderful wineries - sampling their wines and tasting their excellent food. And boy did they go all out for us - they welcomed us like we were being welcomed in to their home and treated us like familiy! The organizers of the tour were wonderful and the tour was so well organized. We would definitely recommend this tour to anyone thinking about doing it - and we would definitely go on it again!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank NJRFH
Delray Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Taste Hungary Culinary Walking Tour”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is a MUST for anyone visiting Budapest. My wife and I travel extensively and are foodies. Many tours are boring and not that enjoyable. This one however, was probably the highlight of our 3 weeks in Europe. Our guide was very knowledgable and the variety of food, cheeses, and wines were great. You left the tour with a different understanding of how the people in Budapest live which is sometimes missed when you are just looking at museums and historic buildings.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank chuck k
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Hungary has world class wine but you need a guide!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Friends of mine live & work in Budapest & have been on several wine tours in Hungary. They advised that there are so many wineries & so much variety that we should use a guide. They were right & Gabor is the perfect guide. We did Villany near the Croatian border. The wine was incredible. Rose that rivals France & Cabernet Franc blends that will make you squeal. Our guide stuck with us all day and answered all of our questions & translated every single thing we wanted to ask at the wineries, even our boozy jokes (later in the day). The landscape is wonderful. Our lunch was rustic & delicious. Overall the wineries & the tour were fabulous. I'm going back shortly with my husband & neighbors.

Visited March 2013