“DO NOT GO HERE!”

Ranked #2,643 of 3,207 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: All of the customers are welcome in our new restaurant in the city center of Budapest, where you can taste the traditional hungarian specialties, but you can try some italian food specialties as well.We serve approximately 100 types of famous hungarian wine beside the excellent dishes.You can find here all of the best values of the old times, in the design, and in the friendly atmosphere as well.
Hull
“DO NOT GO HERE!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

As mentioned above, the staff were reasonably friendly when trying to get us to eat there. However, once we were seated they didn't seem to bother (they just stood and smoked trying to get more customers in whilst forgetting about the ones already there!).

I ordered a pizza as a safe option and was still extremely disappointed. It was not freshly cooked at all and was even burnt!! I was not impressed at all.

The bill was not only waaay overpriced but also included a service charge for service I feel we didn't even get!

All in all, it was overpriced, the food wasn't nice and the staff service was appalling!

Trust me when I say... DO NOT GO HERE!

• Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
Dc Washington
“Authentic”
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

In this restaurant we found the real hungarian food. Authentic place, with authentic food. The food was good, an the restaurant was really authentic.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Zoeachel
Melbourne, Australia
“Not impressed”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I wasn’t particularly hungry and just felt like some soup. As I was checking out Monarchia Old’s menu I was immediately invited to take a seat and as I saw they had a variety of soups, I decided to eat there. As soon as I sat down, I was asked what I would like to drink, I said “Nothing at the moment”. They wouldn’t take no for an answer and within 2 minutes I was asked about a drink 5 times by different people. When I ordered my soup, the waiter asked what else I would like to order. I said I wasn’t very hungry but he persisted about me having a main and pointed to one of the most expensive meals as being very nice. I caved in and ordered a less expensive meal of chicken and pineapple. Then I was asked what I would like with it potato, salad or garnish. I said fried potatoes thinking it actually came with the meal. End result: my mushroom soup was extremely salty, did not taste like mushroom soup and looked like oily tomato soup with a few slices of mushroom, I couldn’t eat it, so left it. When I questioned it, I was told it was Hungarian mushroom soup. Chicken dish was fried chicken strips with tin pineapple pieces and chips and a little salad (that I didn’t ask for) and paid extra for both plus an additional charge. Receipt was in Hungarian so I could work out what I was paying for just a list of amounts of which I recognised only 2! Monarchia Old, You snared me in once, NEVER AGAIN!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Elizabeth S
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Value”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We ate here on our first night, the food choice was excellent. Everything was well cooked and very good value for money. Lots of authentic Hungarian food.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank skybluedi
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible Pizza and Poor Service”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Service was okay to start with to try and get you into the restaurant but it was all down hill from there. Ordered 2 pizzas and took over half an hour to arrive despite not being terribly busy. Pizza ended up being incredibly doughy, cheese was rubbery and sauce was salty- they advertise on the front as being a pizzeria but it was a huge disappointment. We only managed half of our pizzas each but only because we were hungry. Overall 2 pizzas and a bottle of water cost 6000HF (around £17) - definitely not worth that! Nice street but obvious tourist trap - only ended up there after being turned down by nicer looking restaurants that were full!

• Visited May 2014