“Don't Feel Like a Tourist”

My Personal Budapest
Book In Advance
More Info
$68.28*
and up
Hungarian lunch in a Hungarian home
More Info
$249.18*
and up
The Hungarian Soul Tour from Budapest
Ranked #7 of 311 Tours in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Looking for the best local experience? If you don't want to be just another tourist, you have come to the right place! Some of our tour highlights: The Hungarian Soul Tour, The hidden treasures of Budapest, Sightseeing tours in retro/historical cars, Lunch in a Hungarian home, 4 hours wine tasting tour to one of the best wine regions just outside of Budapest, full day Danube Bend tour with optional wine tasting, full day Lake Balaton tour with optional wine tasting, wine tours to distinguished wine regions. Get your own personal travel experience of Budapest!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We did the Hidden Treasures tour and the Family Lunch, and had an amazing time. Even our 6 year old daughter never got bored. We didn't feel like tourists, but like locals getting an insiders view and getting to see things most tourists don't, then felt like friends who have been invited over for lunch. The meal was one of the best meals we ate during a 2 week trip that included 7 cities in Europe, and the company was very enjoyable. Exploring the city with András was really fun, and our only regret is that we didn't have more time in Budapest. Would highly recommend My Personal Budapest.

1  Thank Scott S

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Someone else said that this was the best thing they did in Budapest and I have to agree. My mother, sister and I booked the Trabant tour and family lunch with Andras (at short notice) and had the most amazing day out ever. My mother (in her seventies) was a little alarmed when she first saw the two Trabants that were arranged for us (somehow I imagined we would all be travelling in one - silly me!), but after a few explanations from Andras and his colleagues, she felt completely at ease. We packed a great deal of sight-seeing into the morning tour and Andras even amended it slightly to avoid some stair climbing, which my mother didn't feel able to manage. All the while we had a running commentary of all things Hungarian, from history to politics to cuisine. We stopped off at a lovely, Art Nouveau cafe in the center of town and ended up at Andras' parents' house for a delicious Hungarian lunch. Even though his mother didn't speak any English and his father's English was limited, we had a marvellous time and loved the feeling of getting to know some real Hungarian people. We also had a quick shot of traditional plum brandy, which just about shut down my nervous system. An acquired taste for sure!

Spurred on by the success of our first tour, we ordered another tour later in the week to Szentendere and Viesgrad and this time our tour guide was Atila. This was another fabulous day out. Atila is a font of knowledge on all manner of things and we enjoyed getting to know him and chatting through the day. He was a joy to be with and nothing was too much trouble for him, as he tried to work out which area would have the best view and where the clouds might be. We even saw some storks on their nest (first time for me). I felt very sorry when the day was over and we had to say goodbye.

If you are in any doubt about what to do in Budapest, look no further than Andras and his team. What a bunch of fantastic young professionals. We will certainly use them again on our next trip to Budapest.

1  Thank Leopard_Lil
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The trabant car tour was a truly unique way to see the city and our driver, Balazs was very passionate about his car. His family collects them and he even does stunt driving! Andras showed us the layout of the city so that we were able to go back and revisit certain places such as the Szenchenyi Baths and the Great Market Hall. Lunch at Andras house was so much fun. We met two other ladies on vacation who also spoke English. Andras mother and father did not speak much english but they were very kind and genuine and his mother was kind enough to cook me a whole separate meal simply because I am vegetarian. By doing the lunch we got to see an area just outside the city we would have never gone to by ourselves.
Andras was very accommodating with my grandmothers needs and even adjusted the price of our tour when she opted out of some things even though we had booked them in advance. He clearly trusts his customers alot. It was very refreshing to speak to a Hungarian tour guide who knew so much about his country and also a hunger to learn about me and my country.

Attila took us to Szentendre and even though it was snowing all day we had a good time with him because he told great stories and made us laugh. He too seemed eager to engage in conversation and not just spit facts at us. We saw a wild boar!

We went to Lake Balaton and Istvandy winery, both of which were beautiful even in the snow. Daniel, who greeted us at the winery, was warm and inviting. He was very casual and funny. We had an absolutely amazing meal (again I was specially treated with a wonderful risotto dish because of my vegetarianism) cooked by his girlfriend Czilla. Their guesthouse was in a pretty rural town and was absolutely luxurious. I only wish we could have stayed there a few more days!

I will never forget our tour with mypersonalbudapest and I know my grandmother feels the same. It was as if, only after a short while, Andras, Balazs, Atilla and Daniel were old friends that we were visiting.

I would highly recommend Mypersonalbudapest as a necessity when visiting Budapest even if you know the city very well.

1  Thank oonikitaxx
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I would highly suggest a Trabant Tour with Andras in the morning and the wine tour to finish the day. In spite of the snow, we had a fantastic tour of Budapest and all of the important sights and ended the day at the Hernyak Vineyard. The wine was fantastic and the hosts were warm and so welcoming on a cold snowy afternoon. My husband, my 20-year old daughter and I all agreed that it was the best day of our travels through Prague, Budapest, Paris and London. Don't miss out!!!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Last week my partner and myself took a combination of the Trabant-Tour and the Hidden Treasures Tour organized by Andras and our Trabant driver, Balazs from My Personal Budapest. It was an amazing experience for me because our family had a Trabant very long time ago (so I had some flash backs...) and for my partner, too, because he has not yet seen a Trabant from the inside, not even speaking about riding one.

We were picked up by Balazs and Andras at our hotel and were driven to interesting locations in the city, that we knew very little about. Budapest has so many hidden corners and even for someone who speaks Hungarian and lived there for years (many years ago) it is very hard to keep up with all the happenings, new places and old / hidden treasures.

We wholeheartedly can recommend this fun tour to anyone - even to locals! - who prefer to get true insider knowledge by excellent local guides, who love what they do. What we appreciated the most was really the mix of the places we visited that were off the beaten path and of course the sweet Trabant, that Balazs (owner of a Trabant collection) has proudly showed to us - the highlight was to have a look at the engine area... very special indeed! :)

1  Thank Monika G