“One in a lifetime experience”

My Personal Budapest
Ranked #44 of 361 Tours in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Looking for the best local experience? If you don't want to be just another tourist, you have come to the right place! Some of our tour highlights: The Hungarian Soul Tour, The hidden treasures of Budapest, Sightseeing tours in retro/historical cars, Lunch in a Hungarian home, 4 hours wine tasting tour to one of the best wine regions just outside of Budapest, full day Danube Bend tour with optional wine tasting, full day Lake Balaton tour with optional wine tasting, wine tours to distinguished wine regions. Get your own personal travel experience of Budapest!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We were privileged to attend a private piano concert with our incredible guide Andras Novak in Budapest. We visited the artist's home and were treated like special personal friends during a one hour concert performed by the incredible and world-renowned artist Adam Felligi. His keyboard mastery of Liszt, Chopin, Mozart.....and, just for us, Gershin and Scott Joplin, were mesmerizing and gave us so much to appreciate and discuss later. I didn't know exactly what to expect when I booked the concert, but everyone in my family agreed it was one of the major highlights of our trip to Budapest and Vienna. This is a must-do experience.

1  Thank FrancieAustin_Texas
"jewish ghetto"
in 12 reviews
"great tour"
in 33 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 18 reviews
"driving tour"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We had less than 72 hours in Budapest, one of us visiting for the first time, the other had been as a student 25 years ago. Encouraged by a great experience in Sarajevo and Belgrade with an outstanding guide Zlatan Ilic http://alturl.com/ce4yi we decided a personal guide was a must if we were to see anything of the Hungarian capital. When we first made contact with Andras we listed our 'must sees' as well a run down on what we both like to do when we visit a new city. He promptly came back to us with a tailor-made itinerary, this started with a decidedly-different city tour with us being whisked off through the narrow lanes of Budapest in a communist-era Trabant. With his colleague Balazs at the wheel we spluttered back and forth across the river Danube stopping at one breathtaking sight after another. Three hours later Andras drove us to his parent's house in the suburbs where we enjoyed a delicious, traditional Hungarian lunch prepared by his mother. Mrs Novak, now a successful businesswoman, gave us a first-hand account of her country's transition from Communist rule. Chatting to her gave us an insight not normally enjoyed by tourists.

Part of Andras's 'unique selling point' is that his tours are a little 'quirkier' than the others. That afternoon proved the point: we could barely take in all he showed us. Starting with an Art Nouveau cafe and museum we moved on to the city's Jewish Quarter (great for photography) stopping to enjoy the traditional Flodni cake at Rachel's Bakery. The next stop gave us a chance to catch our breath in the famous Ruin Pub, now a standard bearer for underground culture. As he walked us back through Budapest's 8th district to our hotel we were struck by his stockpile of anecdotes as every building, monument and business seemed to inspire yet another one. A truly remarkable day! We would recommend Andras to any traveller who wants to experience Budapest!
Robert Mullan Liz Russell www.robertmullan.com

Reviewed July 24, 2011

I went to Budapest with friends with no expectations and very little knowledge about the city or Hungary in general. I am so thankful that we signed up for this tour. With the small group we were able to see so many different areas and we learned things at each spot that we would not have on a larger tour. Andras was a fantastic guide and he explained aspects of Budapest's history that show the knowledge and love he has for the city. I really enjoyed hearing about the history of the city and the devastation but also the perseverance of Budapest. I also never realized how affected the Jewish community in Budapest was hit during the persecution and was moved by the synagogue area. I also thoroughly enjoyed the winery. It was so beautiful to be able to see the crowded city and then in a short drive to also see the countryside that was just incredibly beautiful. My favorite part of this tour though was getting to spend time with local people from the Trabant drivers, to lunch with Andras's mom, to the owner of the vineyard. We had a very short time in Budapest but I left feeling like we had a very complete trip and I learned a lot about the city and had too much fun doing it!

1  Thank jesullvn
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We had a very enjoyable day with Andras seeing Budapest. We started off with a city tour in a Trabant....be aware that the car is REALLY small, but it was a lot of fun! Afterwards we went to a winery outside of the city and had a personal wine tasting with the winemaker. We even got to taste some wine right out of the barrel. Excellent wine and a really neat experience. Budapest is a beautiful city and this was an excellent way to take in all of the city sights and also do something more personal.

1  Thank travelswithbeau
See more reviews
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I am a law student studying in Ireland for the summer. My friends and I were looking to book a trip in Europe for the weekend and my father recommended that we visit Budapest. We booked a tour with Andras and it was all that we could've asked for and more. Andras really made and effort to get to know us and tailor the tour to our personalities. We saw the "must see" sights in the morning and went to the hidden gems in the afternoon. He took us to the law school as he knew we were law students. After a whole day, he got to know our personalities and showed us a pub that he knew we would like that was also a pub unique to Budapest.

The most outstanding part of the tour was the personal connections we made. The homemade Hungarian lunch was delicious and the hospitality was even better. Seeing the architecture and historical sights of Budapest was wonderful, but being immersed into Hungarian culture is what made Andras's tour truly unique. Initially, we were supposed to do a wine tasting but the wine makers had to cancel. Andras knew how much we were looking forward to it, so he arranged with the wine makers to do a tasting before our flight. It was not the most convenient time for Andras but he made arrangements to make sure we were able to make our flight on time. It was a great way to end our trip (again, superb hospitality) and we were so grateful to have such a great tour guide.

I had no idea what to expect from Budapest, but it totally exceeded my expectations- in large part because of Andras. He made our holiday an absolutely outstanding one.

1  Thank shannonslaughter24