Silver Hotel Budapest
City Hotel Unio(Budapest)
  • Restaurant
Medosz Hotel(Budapest)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmini fridgemetro stationwould stay here againheroes squareclean hotelinternet connectioncity centrepublic transportshort staybuffet breakfastbars and restaurantsoctagonhungarians
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The location of the hotel wasn't bad. However, all other aspects of the experience certainly were. Am I the only one who believes that a budget hotel can still fulfill some basic lodging expectations such as clean sheets, a functional heating system, functional lights, and secure entry/ doors? I made the mistake of following another user's advice to book the airport transfer with the hotel. An extremely rude man met me at the airport and made me wait in the cold for approximately 25 minutes while he went to get the car (from the smell of the car, he took his time smoking prior to picking me up). I saw other passengers from the Ryan Air flight pick up taxis for half the price and take off toward the center long before my pre-booked, overly-expensive ride showed up. During the ride into the city, he made it clear that he wasn't interested in conversation-- which is fine, but not a great welcome to the city. I used Booking.com to book a double room with a double bed, and naturally ended up with a room on the 5th floor with three single beds, separated in a dormitory style. I immediately called the reception and was informed that I could easily push the beds together... and that if I had any trouble, I could probably ask another person staying there to help me. Because it was late and I wasn't interested in picking a fight with the hotel so late at night, I attempted to sleep in the makeshift bed... There is nothing more uncomfortable than slipping between the crack of two single beds pushed together. In additional to poor sleep quality, the hotel is literally connected to a bar and entering the hotel at night proved to be more than a little uncomfortable. The elevator, which only had instructions in Hungarian, often malfunctioned. I probably don’t need to mention it, but the wifi did not work properly either. In regards to the shower, the floor tiles were all broken and the showerhead fell down on me every time I took a shower! On the bright side, the television did work and my bed sheets did seem to be changed each day. For the price and service, I definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank kpontar1
Reviewed November 21, 2012

For the charged price the location and the rooms are fairly good.
Since the staff speaks good english also i would say that is perfect for a city trip but not exactly during summer months as there is no air co.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights with a friend during a backpacking trip around Europe in September. The hotel was easy enough to find however we would have struggled to communicate with the receptionist if it wasn't for the fact we had met a Hungarian friend to show us around the city.

Breakfast was stated to be included in our room rate however upon check in we were asked to pay extra on top of what had already been charged to out credit card - not impressed!

The room was nice however not as clean as it could have been, there was hair in the bathroom and the shower attachment kept falling off the wall, a bit inconvenient!

Despite this the hotel served its purpose, was in a great location and easy to access using public transport.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel seems to be the only place in former socialist countries, where foreigners pay less than nationals: due to a “creative” currency-calculation it is cheaper to pay with a foreign credit-card than cash in Hungarian Forint. Nonetheless, the guy at the desk was not embarassed after charging about 10% too much from my card.
They welcome groups as well and I had the impression that we as single travellers generously subsidize their stay. These people have a lot to tell to each other late at night and early in the morning, even if they meet in front of your door and you want to sleep. There is a note at the elevator to be calm. But although you HAVE to take the elevator (as the staircase is permanently closed – definitely in case of a fire!) it seems that they didn't read the note because there were too many communicative people waiting.
Breakfast was very basic with mountains of empty plastic-containers at the end. I don't want to complain about the bad smell in the bathroom or the damaged TV. The facility is central next to some museums, the view of our room was nice, the staff was friendly but I was very happy to leave. It is much too expensive for offering only backpackers standard.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed two nights there in July 2012. I have been waiting to calm down before writing this.
I had read warnings about currency-rate problems. Since I decided to pay in advance, without possibility to cancel, I thought there can't be any currency risk.
I had booked the room for 67 eur. I was stunned when I received the credit card- invoice; I was charged 75 eur !!! The currency risk realized before my trip !!!
The currency fraud was not the only problem with the hotel. There was no air-conditioning in my room. I thought the housekeeper had forgot to leave a soap to the bathroom. The receptionist told me that soap doesn't include the room price. I was amazed, not even a small bar of cheap, bad-smelling soap?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo