“Nice Hotel. Pity about its Location”

Royal Park Boutique Hotel
Ranked #97 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. Got transfers from the hotel which were on time. The hotel is clean and is around a half hr away from the city centre by foot. The breakfast is ok it had bread and cereals so it was fine for me. Any questions with the receptionists were answered which was of great help. Only had one problem that someone else gave our room number for breakfast so we had to get the receptionist to explain to the waitress that we were staying in the hotel. Liked the fact that brochures were given at check in by the hotel and tours could be booked at the hotel

The area is the only problem about the hotel. Every day when walking near the hotel homeless people come up to you looking for money and there are a lot of people hanging around near the hotel of this nature. Obviously this is not the fault of the hotel but I don't think everyone would feel safe walking near here at night.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Szilvia-Kecskemeti, Front Office Manager at Royal Park Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear JohnnyD89!

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Royal Park Boutique Hotel!

We are pleased that you had a good time at the hotel, you were satisfied with the room and our staff as well.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused regards to the breakfast; finally we ascertained that the Guests before told a wrong room number which caused this misunderstanding.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon!

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Royal Park Boutique Hotel

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have just returned from a long weekend in Budapest- staying at the Royal Park Hotel.

The hotel itself is lovely - very modern minimalist decor, small bar area in the foyer serving very reasonably priced drinks; there is a small dining room which serves the breakfasts - not open after that for other meals; no fitness centre, rooms were average sized, nicely decorated - and indeed like others have said they have a big window between the bathroom and bedroom! For which the blind stayed firmly closed!! But it was very up and together, clean with a nice sized tv. Didn't have a problem with noise from lifts or other customers - just a little road noise, sirens now and again.

The first night we arrived around 6pm so settled in our room & went for a walk to have a look around and find some food. This is when we discovered that the hotel is in a less than desirable area! There are fast food joints and corner shops nearby but the area is just nasty!! Really run down, dodgy people around, homeless people, sex shops, hookers etc. The hotel is like an oasis! We walked for about a mile but I felt so uncomfortable we turned round, went to the nearest Burger King and then headed home! - The rest of the tour was much better mind you although we got taxi's pre booked for us from the John Bull British Pub each time we returned after dark.

Also, on that first night, we went to bed - not particularly late, maybe 11pm, comfortable air conditioning setting, nice double bed - with two single duvets but didn't mind so much. The next thing we're aware of is at 3AM our LOCKED bedroom door being OPENED from the OUTSIDE!!?????!! Needless to say we were awake in an instant and I've never seen my husband move so fast as he shot over to the door - where stood a member of staff, in his 50's, greying hair, rather gormless looking with dark eyes - who mumbled a bit & walked off!?? My husband couldn't get anything out of him despite asking (with, understandably, a few choice expletives!) what the hell was going on! I didn't get back to sleep for hours after - and didn't sleep well the rest of the time in case we had another fanciful old man try and join us! We actually moved a big chair in front of the door the rest of the time we were in the room.

We went to reception the next afternoon to demand what was going on - where the same guy was stood, with another guy of similar age behind reception. They both were sheepish and flakey in their replies, without a good grasp of English, mumbling about a "mistake" - at 3AM though??!! Why they would go into any booked room at 3am unless there was an obvious problem is beyond me. Dodgy, really dodgy. We did wonder if we had booked into a swingers type hotel by mistake!! Luckily no body else tried to get in the rest of the holiday!

Anyway, enough of that unsavoury experience!

We were picked up when we first arrived by a nice mercedes which is definitely worth booking.

A lot of people in Budapest obviously don't speak English- the Hungarian language looks very different to ours and signs/shops/labels etc often don't have an English translation underneath which we found difficult so take a language guide!

The hotel is quite far away from the main tourist attractions so be prepared to walk through dodgy area or navigate public transport - metro and trams nearby. Some tourist attractions are nearby - such as the baths, ice skating etc which we walked to. We walked in the daylight and got prebooked cabs in the night as had heard about dodgy cabs.

Definitely book guided tours and excursions otherwise you'll never find anything - the younger members of staff at the hotel (mainly the female ones) are good at English and very helpful so we booked ours with no problems.

The buffet breakfast selections were slightly strange to an English palette but there was something we found to eat each day.

Check in and out was fine, no problems.

There is free wifi which was really handy, there was laptops you could use, and we got given a welcome pack which gave leaflets to the places we wanted to go which was also good.

All in all a fairly good hotel - the area, and the older male staff let it down as did the breakfast, but aside from that everything was great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rozzy_L

Dear Rozzy_L!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments.
We can only apologise for your experience as it does not represent the level of service we strive to deliver. This incident is the first of its kind to occur here at Royal Park Boutique Hotel that during the night room control the security guard opened a residential room.
Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

We are looking forward to hopefully welcoming you back in our hotel!.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and found this hotel clean with helpful staff. The beds were not particularly comfortable and the rooms hot, and tea and coffee facilities were not provided unless you upgraded for 15 euros a night, per person. Location was good, it took about 40 mins to get to downtown on foot, but there was a station opposite if you prefer not to walk. Nice relaxed bar in the lobby with relatively good priced drinks.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kathryn654!

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Royal Park Boutique Hotel.
We were delighted to read that you liked our hotel and our staff ensured that you enjoyed Budapest!

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused with regards to lack of coffee and tea facilities. Only our superior rooms are quippedd with a Nespresso coffe machine, and the normal upgrade is 18 EUR/ night for these rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Had a great stay at the hotel. The room was great as were the staff. Had too walk a lot, to get to and from town which became a but tiresome towards the end. The breakfast was a bit of a letdown, felt it was very much on a budget but only real fault of hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Clewer1781
Szilvia-Kecskemeti, Front Office Manager at Royal Park Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Clewer1781!

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your positive feedback on the hotel rooms and staff. Regarding the breakfast I am very sorry that we could not meet your expectations.
Thank you once again for having given us information on your experience in Royal Park Boutique Hotel! We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Well, I have spent only one night on 27 December 2013, in this hotel but I have to say I was kind a disappointed of the lack of security of the room. It's disturbing and frightening that a big crack in the ceiling above the shower with water running down clearly need a quickly repair because it can't be very secure. I was waiting for the ceiling coming down any minute, I hope the stuff already fixed that otherwise I don't know how long will last before collapse on somebody. So not happy ! So watch out for room no. 110!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear Diana K!

Thank you for your comment.
Regarding your critical points, they are to be addressed during the ongoing deep cleaning and renovation project. Thank you once again for having given us information on. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

First of all, the staff of the hotel (morning and evening receptionists and bar) is very kind, helpful and very efficient as well. My check in and check out was very quick and upon arrival they gave us the map of Budapest and other useful information. There is also a laptop at the ground floor for the guests, so I was able to print my boarding pass before leaving.The wi-fi was excellent in my room.
I liked the room. It is new and has a nice modern design. Maybe it is not what I have in mind -in terms of space and utilities kit- for a 4 star hotel, for exemple, the only thing that was given, was the shampoo (in the wall) and the cup for the head (one, not even two). I find it though much better than a 3 star hotel, it stands for me somewhere in the middle. I also liked the design of the bathroom, there is a glass wall and they may see your figure when you take a bath, but there is also a shade and you can choose whether you use it or not.
The room was very clean. The only inconvenience was that the housekeeper knocked at the door of the room and opened it a little to check if we are inside, almost every day between 9 and 9.30 and the vaccum cleaner operated at the corridor. So if you plan to wake up late it is not possible.
As of the area, it is slightly out of the center, but was very convenient to me and with very good transports. The metro station is a couple of minutes away. Although I have read other traveller's comments saying that the area was a little strange in the night with vagabonds etc, I haven't see such people. On the contrary the station area was busy with normal people and I felt very safe when I was returning late at the evenings at the hotel.
I also want to mention that upon arrival (around 11.00 o'clock) they informed us that the normal time for check in is at 3.00 o'clock, but they can give us the room immediately with extra cost (i cant remember how much, maybe it was 15 or 20euros). I just mention it, because I can't help it, but compare this to my country's hotels, where the majority of the hoteliers are happy to accomodate their guests earlier for free if they have the room empty!
Last but not least, during our check out they told us that we had eaten a twix (or it was a mars chocolate?!) from the mini bar. That was not true, neither my mother nor me ate any twix - and generally speaking we don't eat such sweets. We told them so, and they asked me to SIGN A PAPER THAT WE HAVEN'T EATEN THE TWIX!!! This is the only thing that make us leave with a bitter taste from an otherwise very nice hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank cherin95

Dear CristinaAthens!

Thank you for your comments. We are very happy that you had a nice stay at Royal Park Boutique Hotel it was our pleasure to ensure you had a memorable holiday with us.
Regarding your critical points, please note that we took the necessary steps to prevent any similar mistake in the future.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Starting with the location, there are much better areas in Budapest, however it is very well communicated with the rest of the city, and buses, trams, trains are quite often, so it is not a big deal. The hotel as well as the rooms are nice -although smalls- you can feel safe and comfortable, and modern lobby and bar. The point in favour is the cleaning, rooms are very well cleaned and service is done every single day. The hotel is pretty quiet with the exception of the housekeeping ladies in the morning who were really noisy, anyway a 10 for housekeeping.
On the other hand, I felt really disappointed with the reception staff in the hotel. I would like to say first that I have worked in hospitality for some years and this is the reason I am doing this review because I really think they have a beautiful hotel, but average staff.

First day when we checked in, the gentleman who welcomed us was cold and quiet, I did not feel welcome at all, I had to ask for the information and while we were filling our reg card... just silence, nothing like "how was your trip?/did you find us easily?/any plans for today?" he just gave us some brochures with no extra information, 0 excitement for having guests. After that, we went upstairs and I checked there was a shower instead off a bathtub, I came back to the reception and kindly asked to the receptionist if it was possible to move to a room with a bathtub, "we don't have rooms with bathtub in the hotel"...... you don't? That is... strange, but it's ok, I came back to the room and that was all.
The day after I saw on the television just behind the reception desk some pictures of the hotel... there you are! a picture of a room with bathtub!! :/ . One night we asked for some help to the night auditor, he helped us but at the very beginning he looked like we were bothering him, we had to add "I am sorry" -several times- and a couple of "we don't speak Hungarian this is why we need your help"....
I have to say that the check out was much better than the check in. Two ladies who smiled and talked to us, it was not so difficult, was it?
Our stay in Budapest was perfect, the hotel was well communicated, nice and clean but DEFINITELY NOT a 4*hotel, and most of the staff should improve their performance.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BValver

Dear BValver!

Thank you for having chosen the Royal Park Boutique Hotel and for taking the time to tell us about your experiences. I'd like to tell you that it is very important for us that you shared your feedback with us.

I wish to express you how disappointed am I, because our reception could not meet your expectations. I think it was only a misunderstanding regarding the room equipped with bathtub. Our standard rooms are equipped with shower, we have bathtub only in our higher category superior rooms. I suppose that is the reason why the receptionist told you that we do not have any standard room with bathtub, but I have to apologise, because we did not offer you the higher category room.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.