“Nice modern Hungarian restaurant”
Review of Mak

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Paris, France
1,172 restaurant reviews
“Nice modern Hungarian restaurant”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Strangely enough Buduapest is usuall pretty disappointing on culinary front - few good restaurants, almost nothing modern / fusion / sophisticated. Mak Bistrot brings some nice fresh air, with a simple but good cuisine and nice although a bit too common decoration (old red brick, steel, wood tables &chairs).

Very good service, extensive wine list with almost everything available by glass and menu that changes often - looks like all elements of a good success story. The food is light and modern, without being too complex at he same time: we had great prawns with terragon foam and well grilled scallops followed by some cod or swordfish tempura and delicious steak. Make sure you have some room for desserts as they are very good, especially poppy seed cake.

Nice place I'm sure to revisit soon !

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Freeport, New York, United States
“Great Gourmet Experience!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My very first experience dining in Hungary was the Mak Bistro and it was wonderful. Everything tasted fresh. I had the Scallops with gooseberry which were cooked just perfectly... I also had the sea bass as my main course which was juicy and just great. The food is just high quality the service is equally great. Ive visited many bistro' restaurants here in the states but they've never lived up to my expectations the Mak Bistro did and really hit the mark with every dish.

I love their wine selection it really tied in with the dish nicely. The only thing I really didn't like to much was the Yogurt/ice cream desert it just didn't do it for me next time I'll try something different. The presentation of the desert was great just not something I enjoyed as much as my girlfriend did.

Service. Was great they were very attentive to us. For me service really makes or breaks any place and they were very friendly and on that alone makes me want to return. The atmosphere was just great its a beautiful place. Overall, I had a wonderful experience and I will absolutely visit again on my next trip.

Portland, Oregon
“YUMMY”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Wine was scrumptious! The meals were different but were excellent! I can't say enough about this place! I took my wife here and we had a blast! The next time we decide to come to Hungary we definitely will be stopping by here once again! Enjoyed every minutes of this place. If anyone was thinking twice about going here I hope you have read this review about this awesome wonderful place! Thanks for reading!

San Francisco, California
“Do not waste your time or your money”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was very disappointed with Mak Bistro as I had high hopes for the restaurant.

Upon arrival, our party was told that 3 out of 5 of the main courses were sold out and were no longer available. It just so happened that our party only wanted those 3 courses, so we were a bit flustered and disappointed. We were handed old menus, and had a hard time keeping track of what was available and what was not until we were given a new copy 45 minutes later, after we had ordered.

We ordered a squid appetizer and were given microscopic pieces of squid. It was so absurd we that couldn't help but laugh, and all concluded that it was the most pathetic plate of food we had ever seen. We couldn't even pick up the pieces on a fork. The other appetizers were okay, but nothing miraculous.

The main courses were just as minimal, and didn't have enough flavor to make one full. Instead, we found ourselves going through 4 baskets of bread (among 5 of us) so that we could walk away without being hungry. I have been to restaurants with small portions but with tasty flavors. This was not one of them.

The only redeeming quality of this restaurant is the wine selection. But seriously, don't waste your money or time here.

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Modern daily menu”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Lunch menu is very affordable. Went there because LP guidebook recommended it. European food with a modern twist. There is a good wine list too.

Visited August 2012