“Great food, fun atmosphere but very pricey”
Review of Mak

Mak
Ranked #149 of 3,457 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Central European, Contemporary, International
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It is probably best to visit this restaurant for lunch as they have a better value menu then.

We had a three course dinner, only drank water and the bill came to 22000 (£62). This is very expensive in Budapest.

Now the positive things: great and very nicely presented food, fun decor and laid back atmosphere.
The portions were also quite small, which we didn't mind because the night before we ate more than we should have!

It is worth visiting if you can get a lunch deal. Otherwise there are plenty of other restaurants where you can get the same food for much less.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Probably the best restaurant in Hungary. Not only the service is kind, but the food and atmosphere is perfect. During my last visit I ate rabbit with polenta, it was simply awesome. I could just encourage you to try, totally worth it!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great food and great service. My wife and I shared a nice bottle of Riesling from an extensive wine selection along with rabbit and pork for mains. The creme Catalan for dessert was also outstanding. Wonderfully prepared and a good sized meal. The service was quick and efficient but always felt relaxed. Highly recommended for a nice night out in Budapest!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My friend suggested me to try Mák and after a bit of hesitation I agreed to give it a trial. I am usually not a big fan of trendy snobbish places.
The first wonderful surprise was that it isn't something I was talking about in my above words. It is fashionable in design but also simple and welcoming while the staff adds to the positive experience by welcoming you in a way that you would only expect from the very best family run businesses. For the whole of the visit we had a kind, attentive service which was however not very pushy at all. The wine list was absolutely impressive so was the recommendation from the gentleman. His choices very brilliant and he did not just simply try to sell us the most expensive items on the list. We are not wine experts at all but love good wines and in many places I feel ashamed or even humiliated by the staff when they realize this (although I never make a secret of it at all). In Mák this gentleman completely destroyed my embarrassment with nice service and a great sense of humor.

I was also told by my friend that the restaurant just recently changed the chef. I do not know how was it before but I have a feeling that it just could not bee better as it is now with the new chef. The menu is short and very interesting (we were told that is changes frequently). I had scallops as a starter, very tasty and wonderfully prepared. Then I had fillet of the specific Hungarian pork called Mangalica that was just amazing, juicy, soft and extremely tasty, an experience I will never forget. for desert I had cream catalan that was also living up to the expectations that were already set very high by the previous two courses. My friend had sea bass with Hummus and he was also amazed by it saying that he never even had so fantastic hummus even in the Middle-East while he also loved the fish.
All in all i would feel terrible If I did not do this very enthusiastic review. Mák is not cheap however compared to other restaurants in Budapest that provide a lot worse food followed by discouraging service Mák worth every single pennies you leave here. This is to encourage everyone who loves food and is ready for a lovely gastronomic journey to visit Mák restaurant.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We ordered starters, main dishes a deserts. While the starters and deserts were not anything special (home made ham plate was OK), the main courses were excellent (lamb and pork). It's hard to recommend any specific meal, since the place got a different menu every day. Place was not as cheap as referenced by some travel advisors; dinner for 3 people incl. 1 bottle of wine was approx. € 130.