“Good place to eat”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: A grill restaurant
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Spent evening of my birthday here. The food was of very good quality. We started by sharing a Hungarian cold plate ( cheeses and meats) then my friend had the pork that you cook yourself. I had duck breasts .The wine list had a good selection of good wines we chose the Bulls Blood. They gave us both an Irish Coffee on the house for my birthday. A nice gesture. The pianist and violinist were very good but on the night we went there were no dancers. We would both recommend this restaurant. Not the cheapest but very good value. If in Budapest again we would go again.

2  Thank paratanman
There are newer reviews for The Imperator

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I happened to be walking by this restaurant and the nightly shows caught my eye. My girlfriend was coming to BP in a week so I thought it would be a nice place to have entertainment while having dinner.

While I was inside making a reservation I noticed a pamphlet that said a Limo was available for pickup and drop off. NO charge! I looked at the prices and they were 25% more than at some of the other restaurants in BP and about the same as some of the tourist places.

The Limo arrived right on time with 1 driver and 1 assistant coachman. My friend was surprised because she thought we would be taking a cab.

The restaurant is very nice inside. The front wall of the restaurant can be opened up so it gives a more airy feeling. You can also sit outside but it is best to be inside to see the show.

Now there are choices on the menu and as with all places the Argentine steak is expensive. I decided to have a Magdaleca Pork on a hot plate and my girlfriend had shrimp on a hot plate.
The meal basically cooks before your eyes. It was very delicious and more than enough. The wine by the glass was good. Which usually is hard to find in BP restaurants.

All the while there was nonstop music. The guy was great; a one man show. Later, he was joined by a Gypsy violinist who was just as good. The remarkable thing was that they didnt appear to take a break. In between we had the Hungarian Folk dancers and the magic show followed by the belly dancer. Im not sure how bell dancing fits into Hungarian culture. Maybe from those nasty Ottomans. In any case she had some nice moves.

Considering what you got entertainment wise and the food as well as transportation, the night was inexpensive.

Well worth going for the experience.

6  Thank C210Flyer
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Had a great night at the Imperator. Live Hungarian and gipsy music with 2 dancers. There was also a magician and belly dancer. The restaurant was fully booked so the atmosphere was great.

Not much vegetarian choices but the meal I did have was very good. My husband loved the Hungarian goulash.

The only negative was the 12% added service charge on top which made the bill quite expensive for what we ate. We paid 300 HFT for the entertainment each which was very reasonable.

7  Thank Jill J
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very good service. Excellent 'steak on the stone' and entertainment (3 euros added to bill) that gave a flavour of the country's music and dance. More expensive than normal but good to do at least once.

7  Thank fahaja
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Grabbed a beer at lunchtime and were told about the evening entertainment. After looking at the menu we decided we would come back for dinner as it was an opportunity to enjoy hungarian food and traditional hungarian dancing all under one roof. On placing a reservation we were informed they would send the limo to collect us from our hotel free of charge.
Staff lovely, food lovely, entertainment good -especially the hungarian dancing. The ride to and from our hotel in the limo was brilliant.

8  Thank dj1404