“Traditional Hungarian Fare”

Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We wanted to experience typical Hungarian food on our recent visit to Budapest. We saw this restaurant advertised in the sightseeing bus brochure so decided to try it. It was located in a quiet street just off one of the main streets of the city. On entering we were not impressed with the furnishings and decor but after having a look at the menu, decided to give it a go. The waitress was very pleasant and took our order promptly. I chose a very popular dish in this country - fried goose liver with battered onion rings and potato mash. It was delicious. The liver was so tasty and just melted in your mouth. My husband had pork stuffed with bacon and cheese. Again he was pleased with the dish. We had lovely creamy soups for starter and finished with typical pancakes filled with cherries and smothered in cream and chocolate. Yummy! The prices were extremely reasonable - probably around 10 euro for 3 courses. I would certainly recommend a visit here. -

Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you want an inexpensive meal, this is an good choice. The restaurant dining room is very small; I am uncertain if there is upstairs seating or not, but during our dinner, everyone walking in the door headed to where we were seated. The dining area is bland in decor, so this is not a place where you will want to linger for the ambiance.

I had the chicken in green pepper sauce. Typical of Hungarian cooking, the meat was as flat as a pancake The sauce was a spicy peppery flavor, which looked like there was a heavy dependence on flour for the base. Having to avoid white flour, I scraped most of it off, but the spicy flavor stayed with the chicken. All side dishes are extra. I had the Vitamin salad, which was shredded cabbage, carrots, and other veggies with a slice of lemon on top. I did not finish it.

My two dinner mates stated their dinners were 'fine', but no one was thrilled with their dish. It was inexpensive, hearty, and the service was excellent. For a cheapish meal, I would return. The fact that order an entree without a lot of extra food that I don't want is a real plus. Not having to pay for a lot of extra food I don't want is an added value.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had great dinner in that restaurant ,this is a local typical Hungarian restaurant,
Great Hungarian food ,very cheap prices great local wine and be prepared to get Hungarian food smell stick to your clothes.
We had typical Hungarian portions ,were very tasteful great service by waiter ,English menu ,English speaking waiter .
Great deserts had Hungarian shomloy galushka and palacinta .
This restaurant is a Real hidden gem in Budapest also centrally located just near the big synagog in dob utca .

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Not far from metro station,quite small with good service and good that we came with coupon for guliash. Big plates with good looking food.

1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant doesnt try to look like a high level one, it's very simple and there is just one dining room with few tables.

The waitress is absolutely kind.
English menu available.
Prices are cheap so if you are looking for a place where to eat pretty good food without spending a lot, this is the right place.

Recommended..