“Great central location”

Courtyard Budapest City Center
Ranked #59 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Almost missed the entrance as it is understated. Great location right off one of the central city tram stops. Banking and local restaurants within walking distance. Lobby and dining area very modern with several sitting areas for relaxing. Ate breakfast daily with a variety buffet having many great choices of hot foods or cereals and fruits. Good coffee and juices. Dinner has a good menu and was fine. Rooms were modern and included: Safe box, TV, hair dryer, refrig and coffee maker. Would suggest a higher level room so street noise is lessened, although it was fun to watch the daily hustle and bustle of commuters. Small shopping mall next door that has a currency exchange office and a Walmart-like store in the lower level.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room to lessen street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Ferenc H, General Manager at Courtyard Budapest City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for placing a review here on TripAdvisor with regards to your most recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and do look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Ferenc Horvath

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Very good hotel and friendly check-in. Stuff is helpful. Room was large, comfortable, modern and fresh. The breakfast was nice, including fresh prepared, a lot of choice. The bar is good. They have rally good cocktails.
If you want to stay in the city and you travel for business it is a good choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us here, we really appreciate it.

I am happy to hear that you really enjoyed our hotel and the super friendly staff.
We’re looking forward to welcoming you back- thanks again!

Best regards,

Ferenc Horváth

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I stayed here for one night last minute.
I loved it. After arriving I was given a room facing the courtyard (hence, the name of the place) which some people prefer because it's very quiet. However I was a bit depressed with the little light and nonexistent view. I requested a change and I was given a super duper nice, even larger room in the older (but perfectly modernly refurbished) part of the hotel building, street facing and with larger windows and small french balconies. The room had very high ceilings, 4 meters at least, which gave it a very open atmosphere somehow.
The staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful.
There are much cheaper options to lodge in Budapest, but this one is perfect if you want to place a safe bet that the stay will be comfortable and pleasant, without much fuss and at a well-maintained luxury level you can still afford as middle class westerner.

Room Tip: The floor to ceiling window rooms are apparently in the more modern part of the hotel. But the room...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and you plan on staying with us again. We hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Centrally located in Pest, this hotel was several steps above the Courtyard hotels we've experienced in the States. The floor to ceiling windows making up two sides of our very large (and very clean) room looked out on the bustling city. Just steps to the tram and a very short walk to the hop on/hop off bus stop at the New York Cafe. The hotel is located next door to a small shopping mall. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

On the downside, breakfast was not included and the hotel restaurant was somewhat pricey and lacked variety in its offerings. We found that connecting to the free wi-fi available only in the lobby and restaurant was spotty.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might want to request a room that does not face the street as there...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ferenc H, General Manager at Courtyard Budapest City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I am most pleased to read that you had another enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hotel itself was an average Marriott Courtyard. It had most items you'd need at a hotel and it was kept clean. The staff was a bit slow when any request was made but they did come through eventually. I was disappointed with housekeeping in that we were gone from our rooms at about 7 AM every morning and usually back by 6 PM or so and out of 3 nights there no one did our room. I don't mind so much if the bed is not made but towel replacement and toilet paper is essential so I had to call for those items which did come but I shouldn't have had to ask. Internet is available in the lobby. The hotel is on a major thoroughfare and therefore outside the traffic is very busy and noisy. Ask for a room higher up and in the back for a quieter night. It is located on the Pest side of the river and therefore most businesses are there and most of the people live on that side. Of course that means there is more to do and see there and public transportation is readily available. We used the trams and subways every day which were easy and inexpensive. While many signs are in English if you know the stop you need there is no problem because it is well marked. There are plenty of attendants in the subway to ask if you have a problem and they speak English as well. There is a small mall next to the hotel with coffee shops and well stocked drug stores for sundries. A small grocer store is also there and an ice cream stand should you have the need. A short walk down that same main Jozsef Krt. street will take you to a gorgeous pedestrian walk where you can stroll and read the menus of about 16 restaurants on both sides of the walk. They are all indoor/outdoor and from our samplings they are invariably delicious. Prices in Hungary tend to be higher than Poland or Czech but to anyone from the US or Western Europe it is certainly a bargain. As for this hotel it is adequate and I'd have no problem staying there again however I'd try to get a hotel closer to the older part of the city and in a side street that might be noisy and full of traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up and in the back for a quiet night's sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ann B

Thank you for your recent review here on TripAdvisor, your comments are sincerely appreciated.

We are committed to providing excellent customer service and we sincerely apologize that while on our property we failed to exceed your expectations.

I do hope that you are able to make it back down to Budapest soon and that you will give our hotel another chance.

Best wishes,

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed at Marriott's before? This one doesn't bring the same standard that any frequent marriott member expects. Who puts a marriot courtyard next to a dangerous building? This isn't the management or staff's fault, but I expect a certain standard when I choose marriott. Instead, I'm unable to walk outside at night...it's that bad. The hotel has a restaurant that offers outside seating. When I tried to sit at a table, I was approached by street peddlers. Very uncomfortable. Truly unfortunate.

Upon check-in, there is no bell hop service. When I asked the front desk for assistance with my bags, they showed me where the carts were located and told me to help myself. Completely unacceptable. I stayed at a 4 star local multi-national hotel where I had better service.

Be warned!!! No breakfast included, no free wi-fi in your room (you must pay a fee). Housekeeping didn't even fold our used towels in the bathroom.

Positives? The air conditioning is superb, which you definitely need in the summertime. And, if you do decide to pay the $12/day fee, the internet is incredibly fast.

Overall, I'm truly disappointed. I trust in the marriott name to provide me consistent service and a certain level of quality. This specific hotel is not a true representation of the marriott brand.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the courtyard to avoid the noisy streets.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Scribblingscrib

I am deeply sorry to learn that your visit with us did not fulfil your expectations. We strive to provide a warm and genuine service to all of our guests. What you have described is to me personally disappointing as it is so far from representing what we strive for every day.

I truly hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next in Budapest.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel is generally a fairly nice Marriott property. It's well-located with a very short walk to the metro and walking distance from almost all the interesting Pest sites. While playing tourist, we walked almost everywhere from here.

The rooms are clean and fairly modern. The beds are rather comfortable by European standards. Bathrooms are decent, although they have that silly half shower wall that causes water to be sprayed all over the bathroom floor. Who ever thought these things were a good idea? No room service, FYI. Generally, this hotel falls into the perfectly adequate but unremarkable category.

Staff were friendly, but unremarkable. Treatment for Marriott Gold/Platinum elite members is nothing special...free internet. The expensive breakfast is not included. No upgrades either.

Overall, if you can get a good room rate, this is a perfectly acceptable base for exploring Budapest.

Room Tip: High floor away from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for sharing your experince with us! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,