“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #57 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Athens, Greece
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Positives: Near to metro station. Two metro stations away from the center. Nice, big, clean rooms (our was at the corner, with big windows and very nice view). Nice breakfast with many choices.
Negatives: Only one, like other travellers we think that the price for the internet is unreasonable high (at the lobby i used the computer for 15 mins and i paid 4,5 euros).
Overall: Excellent hotel - one of the best i stayed in, with very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Great hotel, great location, great breakfast. Not much more to say.

Room Tip: The airport hotel transfer service usually stops at this hotel first on this particular route. Journ...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Nice clean rooms with comfortable beds and friendly, helpful staff. Fast wi-fi.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here after redeye from US, so arrived tired. Staff was helpful. Had a paid reservation and that room class was full so they upgraded me to a suite with terrace overlooking the city. Jet lag meant I slept through breakfast, so cannot comment.
The suite was nice, clean, big bath and the terrace was a real bonus. The location was right on subway and trolley stops. My only negative was the high cost of internet access. Why is it that this is free in lesser hotels but so often costly in nicer ones? I ended up just going to the McDonalds across the street, which had free wifi.

Room Tip: I was on the street side but on a higher floor--the noise did not bother me.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I am a frequent traveler, as well as the designated "travel agent" for my family. Generally, I am pretty good at assessing what I can expect at any given hotel and hotel chain within the States or internationally. So, I was surprised by our experience at The Courtyard Budapest City Center.
Let me start with the pros. It is centrally located, provides easy access to all the tourist attraction while being part of the real city. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The front desk crew (with the exception of the young man who greeted us at arrival) is very nice and try to be helpful.
That said, I feel I need to share some of our experiences that were clearly not up to the Marriott Courtyard standards. We arrived to the hotel at 2:10 in the afternoon and since we were aware that check-in time is 3pm, we inquired politely if our room is ready. They took our travel vouchers, thoroughly examined it and informed that they had number of were rooms available for an early check-in fee of 10 Euros plus tax. When we declined, we were told in an overly courteous tone that "as a courtesy we may leave our luggage until we return". By that time it was close to 2;30pm. I have been in situations where arriving somewhat early, they were no rooms available, I was also in situations when arriving four or five hours prior to check in time I was asked for (and agreed to) an early check-in fee, I've never been asked to pay about $20 dollars for the privilege of checking in half hour early.
Also,since I stayed in this hotel a number of times before, I knew that some of the rooms have handicapped accessible toilets, which are so high that my feet dangles a couple inches of the ground (I am not a midget, I am 5.4), before we left I requested that when they assign our room it won't have the handicapped accessible toilet. He said he'll make a note of the request, which he probably did because when we checked in the young lady assured us that she took care of it. Clearly my mistake, I took her word for it and instead of checking it after close to 24 hours on the road I went to sleep. Guess what.....? I ended up using the public bathrooms on the conference floor for our entire six days stay.
Amenities... We were provided with hand soap, bath soap and shampoo. We learned that we could get conditioner at the front desk and body lotion from the housekeeping supervisor. The housekeeping staff only had the shampoo to distribute and they only replenished the supply if we requested at the front desk. The same was true for the coffee, creamer and sweetener, nothing was replenished without daily requests. None of these are "catastrophic" incidences, and have I stayed in a one star motel on the side of the road somewhere in boondocks I would have carried my own supplies, but to the Marriott? Never occurred to me. If that is Marriott's idea of saving money, in my opinion it is not good business.
Last, breakfast was plentiful and tasty and there were more than enough "trainees" to clear the plates and occasionally pour coffee. However, some of them need a bit more training.... One morning I made a plate eggs, bacon and potatoes for myself and as I started to eat it I discovered a couple of inches long hair in my eggs. One of the trainees were standing right there waiting for my husband to finish his fruit plate,so she can clear it. She saw me pulling the hair out of my eggs, gave me a disgusted smile, but never occurred to her to say "i am sorry can I get you another plate?" or just "I am sorry".
The long and short of it, location is great, rooms are clean, the service "needs improvement".

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have handicapped accessible toilet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank NewYorkVeri
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Marriott Courtyards can be a mixed bag, but this hotel was much more like a Marriott. Very modern, clean room, nice bathroom, comfortable bed. The front desk staff was quite helpful. The location is a bit far from the river, but it is walkable. The hotel itself is a bit sprawling.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
oradea
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great hotel!
We enjoyed a great weekend in this hotel, and we had the best of time!
Thank you!