“As far as we're concerned, the ONLY place to stay!”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #39 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Macungie, Pennsylvania
“As far as we're concerned, the ONLY place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

There are SO MANY GREAT things about this hotel, it's going to be hard to refrain from adjectives and stick to facts that will help you.

The title of this review spells out clearly how we feel.

The place is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

The staff ... Oh my God, the staff! .... If you have ever stayed at a Four Seasons hotel you know and understand their level of service. Well, you would not think possible but Hotels Zara's staff is every bit as good, if not better.

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE is UNBELIEVABLY professional, courteous, impeccably attired.

Hotel Zara uses their own fleet of taxi's (Mercedes-Benz's). NEVER be afraid to have the front desk get one for you. You will never be taken advantage of.

We were privileged to have met and spoken to the General Manager, Mr. ZOLTAN GEHER. A true professional with a passion for his hotel. He took great pride in telling us that within two months of the hotel's opening in June of 2010, they were and have been at over 91% capacity. In a city with hundreds of fine hotels that, is quite an accomplishment. Thank you Mr. Geher. It was an honor and pleasure to have met you. We hope to see you again. And my wife and I hope you take us up on our offer of you visiting us and staying at our home?

There is a young man at the front desk whose name I must mention, Mr. GABOR NYERGES. What a professional. ALWAYS with a smile and warm greeting. ALWAYS eager to be of assistance. THANK YOU GABOR!!!! We appreciate you very much. And we wish you GREAT SUCCESS. To be truly successful in the Hospitality Industry you must possess, looks, manners, refinement, intelligence, a passion to be of service, impeccable appearance and poise. You, young sir, have them ALL. Please stay in touch with us. We would love to hear how your career is growing as time passes. Again GABOR, THANK YOU!

Now for what you want to know, the hotel:
ROOMS - Beautiful, gorgeous, comfortable, and on and on. Cleanliness - Beyond expectations. We stayed in room #627. Amenities galore!
BREAKFAST - Here comes another adjective, UNBELIEVABLE. Anything you could possibly want. And what a job the staff does. Chafing dishes are always full.
LOCATION - We loved it. We were in a "neighborhood". Surrounded by restaurants and pubs. Easy access to everything.
SPA - YOU MUST INCLUDE THIS IN YOU ITINERARY!!!! Sauna's, jacuzzi, indoor and outdoor pools, locker rooms, showers, mineral water, fruit, and the list of massages and body treatments are OUTSTANDING!
PRICING - GREAT, GREAT, GREAT VALUE - Including, room rates, restaurant, cafe/lounge, spa treatments, cab rates.

Okay, I believe you know how we feel. Thank you for reading. And THANK YOU ALL CONTINENTAL HOTEL ZARA.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ANTONIO L
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, November 20, 2010
Dear FidaAndTony,
I feel so happy, that we could meet during your stay with us and had the opportunity to personally listen your experiences with us. This is the reason why I believe that all your comments are coming from your heart and are very serious observations from an experienced traveller with 41 (!!!) contributions on Tripadvisor. Be ensured our Gabor will receive his well deserved praise. Reading such reviews me and the entire staff are very much motivated to continue serving our guests on a high level. A BIG THANK YOU and looking forward to your return.
Kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

Perfect place to stay if you plan on exploring the city. Subway and trams are within 5 minutes walk and the Danube is a leisurely 20 minute stroll. Rooms are on the small side, but the deal we got through Expedia was very reasonable. Bathrooms are bit tricky, especially the shower, but all fine given the price. One gripe was the mini-bar/fridge; this was not working upon arrival, and despite giving the front desk notice and receiving assurances the problem would be fixed, it never was during our eight night stay. Take your bathing gear as both the indoor and outdoor pool were worth a visit. Breakfast was good, although my companion didn't like the way the eggs were cooked (typical American!!). The refurbishment of what was a bath house is pretty spectacular and sitting on the rooftop deck or atrium must be wonderful in warm weather. Just the lobby was pretty cool in itself. There's a handy 24-hour convenience market just a couple of minutes away on Dohany, perfect for a late bottle of wine or munchies. This is a great place for a fun vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Loanheidyin
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, November 14, 2010
Dear Loanheidyin,
I appreciate your fair review with some valubel remarks, like the size of the standard room. For your information, we however provide higher category rooms for a small premium. I hereby apologize for ignoring your report on the minibar. Corrective actions are in place already. Thnaks for sharing some igames of the hotel with the readers!
Looking forward to welcoming you again! Best regards,
Gdansk, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

The reception area is superb. The rooms & restrooms are very nice decorated and the quality of the execution is superb. Congratulation for who choose this quality materials and more for who done the finishing. BUT: If you want to sit down , to work on a PC and you already used the only one ... a kind of stool to put there your luggage ... bad luck. Or you put your luggage on the floor and you stay on the stool or you stay in bed with the PC in your arms. The breakfast is by far lower the general hotel level plus the coffee is horrible.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miaku
Dear miaku,
many thanks for your review and in general quite good scores. Wish we had known that you need more space and a more comfortable room, probably we could satisfy you, since we have 4 categories of rooms with different sizes. We are currently in the process to convert 35 standards rooms into business rooms what changes will definitely eliminate such lacks. Since we have changed the coffee in our breakfast room we did not experience any complaints, which certainly does not necessarily means that the quality of it is satisfactory for everybody. Anyway thank you for speeking up, I will pay attention to the coffee as of now again.
Best regards,
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

I was delighted with the Continental hotel Zara from the moment we walked into its grand entrance. The rooms were lovely, very clean and quiet. The roof top view was amazing especially from the roof top outdoor pool! I also used the gym facilities and, although it was a bit hot down there, the equipment was similar to any gym. The staff were really helpful and friendly (they even found some jewellery I left and are returning it to me). I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone, it is very close to the main tourist attractions in Pest and close to the 'Hop on Hop off' bus route which takes you to Buda as well as public transport links. If you can get the deal we did from Expedia (£300 for 4 nights, including flights!), this hotel is a bargain!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank NottinghamClaire
Dear NottighamClaire,
what can I add to such a nice review? Nothing, just thank for it. It is good to read that we are not working for vain, our goal is to satusfy all of our clients. I hope your scores, review and recommendation will make a lot of potential guests book Continental Hotel Zara.
Again, many thanks and look forward to welcoming you again! Best regards,
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

Went for a long weekend. Really liked some things about this hotel but other things were not to my taste. Good bits- the pool is wonderful. On the roof of the hotel with a great view, heated, fabulous. The staff are really lovely and helpful and the beds were comfy and the room was nice and very clean. Location is good and the building itself is amazing.
Not so great bits- it does feel a bit like any other huge touristy hotel. Breakfast was plentiful and varied but chaotic and its a bit souless- like you could be anywhere in the world.
Overall, I liked it and had a nice time though.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonJessR
Dear LondonJessr,
many thanks for your review and your fair observations. Yes, you are right sometimes - especially aon weekends when guests do not start breakfast before 9 o'clock - the breakfast room is chaotic. It is really difficult to serve 300-400 people at the same time, but we are working on alternate solutions. I hope you will return shortly! Best regards,
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

Generally, it was an average city hotel, certainly good for its price. The lobby and all the public places were very good and spacious, and I really liked the decoration. Also the hotel stuff was helpful. I had the chance to visit the spa, and I was very satisfied with the quality of services.
The location is very good, in the so called Jewish neighborhood, with tram and metro nearby, but the hotel is in a small street, a few blocks from the main avenue, where it is pretty dark at night. The street lights were inadequate. Everybody assured me that the area was safe, but still I didn’t feel very comfortable when it was getting dark.
The room was very clean, but extremely small, by far the smallest I have ever stayed (and I thought that only Paris has a bad reputation for small rooms). It was very fortunate that I had all the room for myself, since I travelled with a group. I really don’t know how two people would be able to move around this room. The same, exactly, applies for the bathroom.
My main problem had to do with the food. The odd thing, is that the breakfast was really good, and I have no complains. This is why I can not understand the huge difference in quality between breakfast and dinner, where the quality was really low.
I should mentioned that I travelled with a group, with a half-board package, and we all know that sometimes the food is of lower quality than in a la carte, but this was really unacceptable for a four star hotel. The first plate, usually a soup, tasted suspiciously like ready made, the main course was tasteless, and the deserts were a disaster. In fact the last night they served as a kind of beef stew, that was so awful, that we started joking that the hotel was preparing us for the airline food, which we all know that usually is of poor quality. Of course no one bothered to ask us if we liked the food.
Also the waiters, kept reminding us that the drinks would be paid separately. Besides the fact that we all knew the obvious, I think that after the fourth time in a row, it is called rudeness. And think that most of us only had bottled water or a soda.
It is a good thing that we had the chance to taste some local cuisine elsewhere because I would have left Budapest having the worst impression for its food. In fact just two blocks away, there is a fairly good restaurant, the historic New York Café (Erzsebet korut). It is a bit overprized, but the food is good, and the ambience and decoration is beautiful.
In a few words, If you decide to visit this hotel, I recommend you to avoid booking half-board. Food in Budapest is cheap and you can find decent restaurants all around. Also most people talk English, so you wont have any problem.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank mLouisa12
Dear mluisa12,
Many thanks for your detailed and mostly positive review. I was happy to read how much you liked the decor of the hptel and how satisfied you were with the staff. Continental Hotel Zara is located not on the main street, but this is a big advantage of the hotel due to less noisy traffic. I can ensure you that our side street is much safer than the main street if we have to compare them regardless of the lights. We have four different types of rooms and I am sorry that you were booked into a standard room without any special request. I was very much surprised with your overall opinion on the dinners since we have not heard neither from anybody from your group nor from your guide any complaints. The food we offered your group we offered already for several guests without any complaints. It was also strange hearing from you that you did not want to share your thoughts on the dinners instead you would post it on TripAdvisor. Beef stew is a very traditional Hungarian food, it can happen it is not of everybody's taste, or may be not cooked propely, but it is not quite fair sharing these subjective opinion with the readers of TripAdvisor and not with us on the spot to be able to react and correct it. I hope you will rewise your thoughts despite your personal feelings on the quality of the food.
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

Excellent hotel, just recently built, comfortable and interesting decor in the public spaces in keeping with the original building. Could not fault the service, staff very willing to please and be helpful. Wonderful wellness clinic on 7th floor, beautifully equipped. Bedrooms very clean, although could be better sound-proofed! Excellent buffet breakfast with simply masses of choice. Reasonably well placed in Pest but a goodly walk to the main attractions. Thus no good for the less energetic, although trams and metro were nearby!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mrsmill
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, November 13, 2010
Dear mrsmill,
Good to hear how much you liked your stay and the hotel and nevertheless the service. It is a pitty that you felt the location of the hotel not as convenient, although we have several attractions within walking disctance (Andrassy út, Opera, Liszt Ferenc Square with plenty of trendy restaurants, Synagoge etc.).Budapest is a big city where a lot of attractions are far from each other (Castle Discrict, Heroes Square, Margaret Island, House of Parliament etc.).
Anyway, thanks you for recommending Continental Hotel Zara for the readers and hope to have the chance to welcome you again! Best regards,