“There must be better ...gems in Budapest”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #44 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Generally, it was an average city hotel, certainly good for its price. The lobby and all the public places were very good and spacious, and I really liked the decoration. Also the hotel stuff was helpful. I had the chance to visit the spa, and I was very satisfied with the quality of services.
The location is very good, in the so called Jewish neighborhood, with tram and metro nearby, but the hotel is in a small street, a few blocks from the main avenue, where it is pretty dark at night. The street lights were inadequate. Everybody assured me that the area was safe, but still I didn’t feel very comfortable when it was getting dark.
The room was very clean, but extremely small, by far the smallest I have ever stayed (and I thought that only Paris has a bad reputation for small rooms). It was very fortunate that I had all the room for myself, since I travelled with a group. I really don’t know how two people would be able to move around this room. The same, exactly, applies for the bathroom.
My main problem had to do with the food. The odd thing, is that the breakfast was really good, and I have no complains. This is why I can not understand the huge difference in quality between breakfast and dinner, where the quality was really low.
I should mentioned that I travelled with a group, with a half-board package, and we all know that sometimes the food is of lower quality than in a la carte, but this was really unacceptable for a four star hotel. The first plate, usually a soup, tasted suspiciously like ready made, the main course was tasteless, and the deserts were a disaster. In fact the last night they served as a kind of beef stew, that was so awful, that we started joking that the hotel was preparing us for the airline food, which we all know that usually is of poor quality. Of course no one bothered to ask us if we liked the food.
Also the waiters, kept reminding us that the drinks would be paid separately. Besides the fact that we all knew the obvious, I think that after the fourth time in a row, it is called rudeness. And think that most of us only had bottled water or a soda.
It is a good thing that we had the chance to taste some local cuisine elsewhere because I would have left Budapest having the worst impression for its food. In fact just two blocks away, there is a fairly good restaurant, the historic New York Café (Erzsebet korut). It is a bit overprized, but the food is good, and the ambience and decoration is beautiful.
In a few words, If you decide to visit this hotel, I recommend you to avoid booking half-board. Food in Budapest is cheap and you can find decent restaurants all around. Also most people talk English, so you wont have any problem.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank mLouisa12
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2010

Dear mluisa12,
Many thanks for your detailed and mostly positive review. I was happy to read how much you liked the decor of the hptel and how satisfied you were with the staff. Continental Hotel Zara is located not on the main street, but this is a big advantage of the hotel due to less noisy traffic. I can ensure you that our side street is much safer than the main street if we have to compare them regardless of the lights. We have four different types of rooms and I am sorry that you were booked into a standard room without any special request. I was very much surprised with your overall opinion on the dinners since we have not heard neither from anybody from your group nor from your guide any complaints. The food we offered your group we offered already for several guests without any complaints. It was also strange hearing from you that you did not want to share your thoughts on the dinners instead you would post it on TripAdvisor. Beef stew is a very traditional Hungarian food, it can happen it is not of everybody's taste, or may be not cooked propely, but it is not quite fair sharing these subjective opinion with the readers of TripAdvisor and not with us on the spot to be able to react and correct it. I hope you will rewise your thoughts despite your personal feelings on the quality of the food.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,558)

Reviewed November 3, 2010

Excellent hotel, just recently built, comfortable and interesting decor in the public spaces in keeping with the original building. Could not fault the service, staff very willing to please and be helpful. Wonderful wellness clinic on 7th floor, beautifully equipped. Bedrooms very clean, although could be better sound-proofed! Excellent buffet breakfast with simply masses of choice. Reasonably well placed in Pest but a goodly walk to the main attractions. Thus no good for the less energetic, although trams and metro were nearby!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mrsmill
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2010

Dear mrsmill,
Good to hear how much you liked your stay and the hotel and nevertheless the service. It is a pitty that you felt the location of the hotel not as convenient, although we have several attractions within walking disctance (Andrassy út, Opera, Liszt Ferenc Square with plenty of trendy restaurants, Synagoge etc.).Budapest is a big city where a lot of attractions are far from each other (Castle Discrict, Heroes Square, Margaret Island, House of Parliament etc.).
Anyway, thanks you for recommending Continental Hotel Zara for the readers and hope to have the chance to welcome you again! Best regards,

Reviewed November 2, 2010

What a pleasant surprise as we arrived at our hotel after driving along in our taxi amidst old buildings that haven't had a chance to be restored. As we walked into the lobby after entering through a beautiful copper colored revolving door, the scene took my breath away. After we entered our room, I was further amazed at the modern decor which was done so tastefully. Next time we stay there I would opt for the next category up so that we would have the coffee/tea service that was not available with our room. On the mezzanine was the Galleria which was a bar and also had coffee, tea and light sandwiches available. The ceiling and view of the the front door and also the lobby from the opposite side was beautiful. There were many internet cafes nearby and several restaurants that we walked to. It was truly a surprise after walking along the streets and seeing several disheveled buildings to come back into this beautiful hotel. I would highly recommend it. The staff was very helpful in reserving our tours and taxi to the airport. I was disappointed that we had forgotten our swimsuits as they had a beautiful pool and hot tub.

2  Thank couggrad

Dear couggard,
many thanks for your excellent scores on TripAdvisor. I was happy read how much you liked the design of the hotel but I was even more happy to learn how satisfied you were with the service too.
Thanks for recommending Continental Hotel Zara to the readers and look forward to welcoming you again. Best regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2010

We stayed at the Continental Zara for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The hotel is modern - everything is in pristine condition and the decor is lovely. The fitness center and breakfast bars were very enjoyable. Likewise the staff is incredibly helpful: all spoke English and promptly arranged our dinner reservations, baggage storage, and travel back to the airport.

There were only two things that I'd change about our stay and these are pretty minor issues: the pillows were thin and there was no conditioner provided in the bathroom. Otherwise, it was a picture perfect hotel and we'd definitely return.

1  Thank smanders27
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2010

Dear smanders27,
I was happy to read about your satisfactory stay at Continental Hotel Zara. Even your minor remarks were very usefull observations, what we will definitely consider.
Looking forward to your return. Best regards

Reviewed October 30, 2010

we were three couples from Cyprus and we stay at this nice hotel for two nights.
For the price we pay (package with plane tickets 200euro) i didn't expect so nice hotel.
Service very good,rooms very clean and very comftible,breakfast tooo good,
and i can say that we arrived 7:30 in the morning and normaly we didn't alloud breakfast but they offer to us.
Finally i can recommend this hotel for all ages.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Geo-Hadjinikoli
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2010

Dear Geo-Hadjinikoli,
flexibility is part of of hospitality, i.e. if we can make our guests' stay a memorable one, why not to make it? We can imagine how tired you were at check in, so if we can provide the room so early, we provide it, if later we provide breakfast - if possible.
I was happy reading your positive comments and recommending us for other Tripadvisor readers. Many thanks for it.

Reviewed October 30, 2010

Hotel is beautiful, but when staying at a hotel it's more than looks, it's quality of stay.

We came to relax, having two young children it was to be our first break in five years and we were looking forward to some sleep. We didn't get any!!

We were put next to a large stag party. The noise and smashing bottles went on both nights until 5.30am we were then woken by the cleaners at 8. It was horrendous. We rang down twice each night but nothing was done. We asked to be moved but the manager said no. We were given 4 apples and a banana to make up for this but we were insulted and too upset.

I am unhappy to say that Budapest is full of drung English men. However I never expected a 4* hotel would book them in and not seperate them?! It ruined our time.

It felt like the hotel was full of bling but no substance. They didn't care about their guests and didn't want to help. They appologised when we left and offered a relaxing massage or meal but it was too late. Why didn't they do it at time of complaint?!

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank fizzfuzzy
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2010

Dear Fembra,

It is very change that one can post two reviews with almost the same content and scores on Tripadvisor.
As I explained you personally upon check out we - and I am sure no hotel in the world - can discrimate any booking, especially if the hotel is not aware of the type of the guests and the aim of their visit. If we had known that it was a stag party we would have found a solution to satisfy all or clients. We have several times warned these noisy guests during the nights, but unfortunately the noise continued after a while. Unfortunately Budapest became a favourite place of stag parties and beleive me: none of the hotels are happy of it. May be a system should be introduced to linit the trips of such guests similarly to the
I am sorry to hear that you did not like the fruit basket sent to your room as a type of compensation for the inconveniences caused but would make you happy a complimentary massage. It seems to me that even the free transfer - what was failed to be mentioned from the review although accepted - did not help you neither to return with nice memories. I sincerely hope you will change your overall opinion on your stay in Budapest and return shortly. In this case please revert to me.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

Continental Hotel Zara (not to be confused with Hotel Zara) was a fantastic find for couple of battered travelers on the last leg of our voyage.
The staff were friendly, accommodating, extremely polite and very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was very comfortable and the bed made for a very long and pleasant sleep. The breakfast was filled with lots of selection and proved to be a great start to the day.
The restaurant at the hotel was delightful and the food was traditional and delicious.
We would stay again at this outstanding hotel.

2  Thank omni-uno

Dear omni-uno,
as a General Manager, I like to read such reviews, like yours. I was especially happy reading how satisfied you were with the service provided by our staff and with the restaurant. I look forward to your next visit!
KIndest regards,