“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #40 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Was very impressed with the Hotel Zara. The staff were friendly, helpful and professional. The rooms were well decorated and clean and I especially liked the endless supply of hot water in the shower and bathroom.

I recommend a visit to the spa on the 7th floor. The pool outside is heated and is worth a dip around sunset for the rooftop views of the city (you can see the Castle and the tops of the Basicilla and the synagogue).

The hotel is new and the decor is fresh and stylish. Especially liked the gallery bar. Breakfast could be busy but the staff keep things moving and we didn't have any trouble finding a seat or enough food! Had dinner in the restaurant and the Italian next door and liked both.

Can't find anything to fault, especially not when I consider the price and location. I really enjoyed my stay and would go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ASBLondon
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, October 16, 2010
Dear ASBLondon,
I am very greatful for your review. I can read from your scores that you was very satisfied with the facilities and the services of Continental Hotel Zara. Compliments like yours are enhencing our work, therefore I really appreciate it.
I wish you not just "would go back", I hope you will have the possibility shortly to return to us.
Again, many thanks for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2010

New hotel. Good location, 15 minute walk from River Danube, 15 minutes from opera house and 5 minutes from Metro. Hotel and rooms spotlessly clean, airy and pleasant decor. Air conditioned rooms. Would recommend the hotel restaurant for your evening meal. Restaurant also served a good buffet breakfast. Staff speak good English are friendly and helpful and we could not fault this hotel at all.

2 Thank JackieG63
Boston
Reviewed September 15, 2010

First the negatives, because their just weren't that many... (-)
1) For such a great hotel I was surprised that there was no Bussiness Office. I needed to make some print outs but they didn't have a dedicated room for this sort of stuff. They probably misunderstood when I asked for a bussiness room?
1a)They did have a computer(laptop) you could use for free (w/wifi) in the lobby. BUt you were at the mercy of the user ahead of you.
2) The outside pool wasn't finished, when it is though it will have a great view!
2a) Indoor pool wasn't that great though. Attendant was helpful though! Go to one of the Bath houses instead!
3) They didn't respond to emails? I had sent them an emel while touring the city (from my BlackBerry) but I never heard back from them? - -
4) One night I stayed in, cuz wasn't feeling well. They had a plethora of channels and in various languages (i think 2 spanish soap opera channels alone) but the only english channels offered were news channels?? - - I ended up watching a favorite show in German and just guessed what was being said. Movie selection wasnt that great.

That's it...

Now for the pluses(+)

1) Was able to take Public Transport (Metro) to hotel from airport, it took 1 hour 15 mins +
1a) Close to two major tram/metro connections (Astoria and Blaha L.) +
2) Paid a little extra to get the Executvie room (6th floor). Way worth it!
Amazing size room and great decor! Bathroom was also outstanding!++
My favofire part was coming back to the hotel after a fun day to a chocoloate on my pillow every night! +++ (I say pay the little extra, from previous reviewers sounds like I made the right choice)
3) Buffet, had a great larget selection, so you could eat as an american or european style. I switched back and forth. +
There was never "a good time to eat" it was always busy but wait staff was super efficient!
4) Front desk was super helpful and attentive+
4b) Great lobby waiting area+
5) I never had a problem with the wifi in my room on the 6th floor. Used my BB connection +

I would definately stay here again, get the executive room! Its beyond worth it.
As to an earlier comment about deception, you have to be kiddin right!!
It's true that I did see there was a taxi out front at all times that had a Zara hotel logo. It means that it was dedicated taxi, which I think is smart of the hotel, even though I always just walked around so I never used it. And instead of being deceptive, try that the hotel were trying to be helpful!!! Not too many people can speak Hungarian and request a taxi on their own... Such a silly comment...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank LePetitPrince-Yaz
New London, Connecticut
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stayed for four nights at Hotel Zara and was very impressed. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is lovely, very clean and brilliant value for money. Our room looked out onto a courtyard, however there was never any disturbance from this and we both slept really well every night. The hotel is well located in the Pest half of the city, and you can easily walk to the Danube River.

The heated roof top pool was open while we there and it has amazing views of the city, which added a nice touch to our city break.

The taxis booked for us by the hotel were also very good.

Budapest is a fantastic city and I definitely hope to return! I'd highly recommend both this hotel and budapest itself for city break.

1 Thank laurarandom
London
Reviewed September 12, 2010

The staff members were very pleasant and friendly.
It was a problem in our room but we were moved to a different room, very efficiently and quickly.
We spent a nice time, relaxing in the spa and with music in the hall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We spent five nights at the Zara just a week or so after the hotel opened. We found a great price on the internet, but we expected that there might be some problems or confusion in such a new operation. Due to a mix-up, the first night we were given a 'superior' room, which was small but adequate. We were then upgraded to a 'deluxe' room for the remainder of our visit--and we found both the room and the bathroom to be large and comfortable. Although there was some construction noise--and the pool area wasn't yet completed, we were pleased with our stay. The free Wi-Fi worked well for us. The breakfast buffet was large, with a number of hot items and lots of fresh fruits. Best of all, the people at the front desk were very courteous and professional. We were greeted by name when we returned to the hotel each afternoon! The location allowed us to walk all over the city, from the Castle to Heroes' Square. I would definitely stay at the Zara again--but do check the internet for better rates.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Positives:
1. The buffet was a pleasant start to the day. Fresh fruit, pasteries, and more:)
2. The lobby staff was friendly, open-minded and willing to help.

Negatives:
1. Wifi did not work well at all in our room. We had to stand next to the door for a small connection.
2. The indoor pool was not heated and was way too cold. The outdoor pool is now open but was also a tad too cold for an enjoyable swim.
3. We were very disappointed by the ARAZ restaurant in the hotel in the weekend. Uninterested staff, a long wait even though we were their only customers for lunch, and plain, dry, overpriced food.
4. We asked for a room with a bath, yet given one with a shower. The room is insanely small, you had just about enough room to walk around the bed. A dull view of the hotel. We were looking out at other zara rooms. However, the room does look modern and new.
5. Upon arrival, we kindly asked for any recommending restaurants in the area, and were quickly informed of two restaurants among which xo bistro. They recommended to reserve in advance and offered to call, but we said we would have a look around, not thinking anything of it at the time. We went, we ate cheap, but we ate for what we paid (price-quality). Later, a woman in the lobby asked the same question and was recanted the same story. She was also given the number of the hotel, so that THEY could call a taxi for her, instead of simply giving her a taxi number. Something did not seem right, and we assume as we have previously read about the hungarian mentality, that they get a fee from the taxi drivers and restaurant managers for sending tourists their way. This was the beginning of a journey of deception, lies and trickery. We must admit this ruins a trip and as beautiful as this city has been, we will not return, and we recommend people visit other beautiful cities with beautiful people.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
ContinentalZaraGM, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Dear Budapesttourists,
your overall score shows you enjoyed very much your stay with us. The five remarks are of great importance for us in order to improve our services and trainings. Although we are very proud of the quality our our WiFi service, I immediately requested to check it in all the rooms. The temperature of both pools are 27-29 Celsius which are the most demanded temperature in hotels and it is three times a day checked and controlled. I was very sad reading your comments on the services in our ARAZ Restaurants. I can ensure you that corrective action are in place already. I apologize for the mishandling of your request re bathroom. Unfortunately I can not correct it anymore. What your feelings re restaurant bookings are concerned I have to refuse your assumption as reservation belongs to the entire recommendation process. Taxi reservation is also part of the service in the interest of our guests avoiding eventual overpricing. I do hope you will revise your opinion since Budapest and their hotelliers deserve it as your assumption has nothing to do with deception.