Continental Hotel Budapest
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Fitness center
4,629 results
All reviewsrooftop poolcontinental zaraaraz restaurantgallery bargreat hotelrevolving doorjewish quarterwellness centredeluxe roomszimpla kertruin barspillow menutop floorcity breakthe riverspa facilitiesbars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed for 6 nights, booking included spa and breakfast.

Staff - All were really friendly and helpful, checking in, at breakfast, helping me when i got confused in the lift and booking us a taxi

Room - 1 very large double/king was perfect for myself and my friend to spread out on. The room itself could have been a little bigger, but you don't want to spend all your time in there so it really doesn't matter. I would have liked to be able to open the window fully instead of only tilt, but i'm sure there's a reason for that. The air conditioning only went down to 19 and didn't seem that effective so i don't know what it's like when it's really hot. Lovely powerful shower and practical bathroom. Great welcome pack with lots of information, really well thought out.

Spa - The outdoor rooftop pool is great, it was just about warm enough for a swim at 5pm. The indoor pool, jacuzzi and saunas are a nice little treat, nothing too fancy but they offer a nice relief when you've been walking around all day. It all felt clean and well maintained.

Food - I had breakfast every day, and it was consistently great. A wide selection on the buffet which was constantly topped up and tidied. Attentive staff cleared tables very efficiently.

Location - I think we struck it really lucky, the hotel is in the Jewish quarter and i think this was where there was the most interesting stuff going on. A lot of cool bars (ruin pubs) and restaurants. The hotel is also really close to a metro station which is on the line that runs centrally through the city and across to Buda which was really handy. At street level from the metro is a tram stop which runs across the city to the central station.

The hotel is so beautiful, it has been lovingly restored after being derelict for years. Great value for money, i would definitely want to stay here again if i returned to Budapest.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank sellythebaker
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear sellythebaker,

Thank you very much for your commendatory all-in feedback. I’m very happy that you have so much enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will keep your promise and you will be back to us if your travel will bing you back to Budapest

Kindest regards, .

Reviewed May 13, 2014

The location is very good, close to the city center with many bar/pubs around. Moreover the breakfast was complete with every kind of meal. The only negative aspects I found out was a very small hot room and a very expensive wellness center (price in euro).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear AndreaSingo,

Thank you for your feedback, althogh you have shared your negative observations as well. We can learn a lot from them. On the other side let me share you a „secret”: if the wellness is not included in your room price, it means, you found the best deal we have.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We were a group of 4 and we stayed for 3 nights. Our rooms were very clean but too small! The breakfast was excellent and lots of varieties. Hotel staff were very helpful and accomodating. Location was little far from attraction areas but we loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear halehs,

Firstly thank you very much for your high scores. Also thank you for your nice words about the breakfast. We all know, a good breakfast is a good start for a perfect day. We all look forward welcoming you and your friends in our hotel again.

KIndest regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Nice place to stay, friendly staff and very organized.
Garden on the roof top was not so well looked after, but I doubt many guests would spend time up there anyway when there is so much to do in a beautiful city like Budapest.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MARCIO D

Dear MARCIO D,

Thank you very much for you comments, both positive and negativ. I’m very happy that you have picked up the well organized hotel, and you were satisfied with the service of our staff. I hope you will return soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Hardware side, the room is small and you are expected to pay Euro 8 for using in-house facilities on a daily rate which is quite weird. To be fair, the hotel is clean and well maintained.

The rating is poor since we had a bad experience upon this stay. Before we get to the hotel, I have sent any email enquiry a clear direction to the hotel as I will travel by Metro with my suitcase broken. I was replied by staff telling me to get of the metro and go up to the ground and head to Astoria direction...before I arrived there, I imagine that there is only one exit to access to the ground or there would be sign showing exit to Astoria direction.

Our journey starts with the unclear instruction and we found that there is no sign showing where should we go for Astoria direction, as a tourist with a broken large size suitcase, I tried to ask the staff but somehow they don't speak English so I have to find the way by myself in the rain.

Actually, another would go I can give you a tip to get to EXIT H, I wonder why the staff don't simply telling me this instead. I don't think as a tourist I can tell which is which direction.

Upon our arrival in the reception, we waiting for a while to be entertained, I have reconfirmed with that lady I am getting a double bed non smoking room, I didn't care she don't wear a smile but I just want to make sure I can rest well in a comfort room after the whole day tough trip from another country.

She replied me by a simple yes, it is....then I go up to my room and find out the room is a twin bed one. I called immediately to the front desk, the lady picked the call and I ask her why she told me it's a double room, she said she didn't check and sorry about that. She asked me to go to the front desk and change another room.

When I get down again with my broken wheels suitcase, I was told all rooms are full and they can do nothing until the next morning by the Manager Daniel. we were told to come again next morning and they still don't guarantee as they cannot control what kind of room would ne checked out. That;s true you don't know but at least you can try harder and do better, that's what's in my mind. So I asked Daniel who should I talk to the other morning, he told us we can get to anyone and they will notice about the room change and arrange for me.

The other morning, I get down at 8am, another lady who is the supervisor of the morning shift, I approached her to tell her about the situation and Daniel's offer, she ask me did he tell you to come this morning to try ask again or what? What kind of question is that....no more tolerant so I told her this was promised by the manager, then she tried to called the housekeeping to ask for the right room, she did it finally but what's the point of challenging about the situation.

We were really frustrated to deal with those staff, for every questions we ask, we can feel unprofessional as seems their attitude is "you should know it yourself". We are tourist and we don;t grow up in Hungary, we really need to ask for something seems common sense to you. So we tried hard to avoid asking any question from any of those front desk staff.

The housekeepers are more professional, at least they make my room clean and greet me when I meet them at the corridor.

I really wish the management could look into the problem to make ppl goes back rather than keep us away.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear LiennaLaLa,

After reading your long and general review I made a full investigation to clear the whole situation. Firstly, in your reservation it wasn’t even mentioned what room type you have requested at the time of booking. Since the hotel was 100% full on your arrival day, we had only a few twin rooms available. Unfortunately after your complain, the receptionist had promised you another room without checking the availability correctly, so you have returned to the desk needlessly, I do apologise for that. I have also asked Daniel. Ha has left a message for the next day morning shift, that you would move to a queen room, but since the ckeck-out time is noon, it was not easy to find a vacant room at 8 AM when the hotel was full the day before. I think housekeeping made his best, your new room was ready by 9 AM. On the other side I’m very sorry that your way to the hotel was so turbulent.

Thanks for your understanding and best regards,