“Nice hotel at nice price”

Continental Hotel Budapest
Ranked #41 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have just come back from a 5 day trip in Budapest and we stayed at the Continental Zara Hotel. The room was a bit small but clean and well mantained; the bathroom was also small but the shower was big enough, with hot water (especially in the evening, in the morning it was a bit cold). The temperature in the room was too high for us (25-27 degrees) and it didn't go down even with the window open.
The breakfast was really good, with everything one can imagine to eat. The staff was nice and always polite and helpful. We didn't have the entry to the SPA area included in our price and we didn't use it (it's 8 euros per day, anyway).
The hotel is located in a central area of Pest, full of restaurants and bars. We would definetly reccomend it!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear HolyGuys,

Firstly thank you for your review, although it contains some criticism as well. I’m very sorry for the temperature in the room, buti it was good to read that you have so much enjoyed the breakfast. Thank you for your definite recommendation!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

No smile, no I hope you enjoy your stay, these are just the basics of customer service, the porter was really friendly he should be promoted! Reception staff on both check in and check out we're miserable! Work tops in rooms were dusty? The customer service at your hotel really does let your hotel down it would have been a much more pleasant experience if they all just acknowledged you and just gave you a smile, the basics!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Sophie G,

I’m very sorry that you found the staff of reception miserable. I hope it was only a bad time for them. As you can read in other reviews, the staff is one of our strenghts. I sincereley hope you will give us another chance in the close future, so that we can restore your faith in our hotel and the company as a whole.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

After seeing hotel online, I was drawn by pictures of the pool, however on arrival it was drained and not in operation, very disappointed as this was the main reason for booking. The room also had no coffee making facilities or iron, surely basics for 4 stars superior add in very sullen staff who were not even interested how my stay was when booking out, we left not feeling great nice room but dusty, good location, still had great time in Budapest.

1  Thank St00zy

Dear St00zy,

Thank you for your feedback, although you gave us only two points. I’m very sorry that our outside pool was one of you main motivations to come to Budapest, and you found it close. We keep it open only from early spring time to late autum time. It is clearly published on our website. Regarding coffee making facilities and iron I would like to inform you, we have them in our standard rooms only for request. This information is available in our Guest Directory, but our Front Desk is 24 hours open to answer all guests' requests, inquiries. At the end I’m very happy that you still had a great time in Budapest.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed in Budapest over the bank holiday weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the beautiful city and couldn't believe how much it had to offer.

Our stay at the Zara made the trip a real success. A sumptious Hotel, beautiful clean modern rooms, excellent facilities and friendly helpful staff who were on hand willing to action any request. Also had one of the grandest foyers I have ever seen in a hotel. Breakfast was great with a vast selection of tasty cooked, salad, fruit and bread items on offer each morning.

The central location made accessing the city very easy with most areas and sights within walking distance and transport links close by.

If travelling to Budapest, I would highly recommend a stay at the Continental Zara.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ND8

Dear ND8,

I’m really happy that you have so much enjoyed your stay with us, and your trip was so successful. Also thank you for you nice comment about the foyer. Hard to beleive, but our foyer was the pool area of the former Hungaria Spa hundred years ago. I hope you will keep your promise and you will return to us if your travel will bring you back to Budapest.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights mid march and found the hotel lovely. The room is of good enough size (for its purpose) and the bed is massive, which could give the impression that the room is smaller than it is.

Breakfast was good too, plenty of choice it was busy on the Friday, but we got a seat within five minutes.

The only criticism we had was the room was warm (although it was exceptionally warm for spring) I would also recommend getting a higher floor if possible as traffic outside can be quite noisy

Must say thanks for the fresh fruit which was provided on my birthday, lovely touch.

About 15 minute walk to the centre, but we walked a lot of places, the opera house and down to the danube also

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear paulscnthorpe,

It is good to read that you found our hotel lovely. Also thank you for your patience at the breakfast on Friday morning. To manage the morning meal is one of our biggest daily challenge, if the majority of the guests come at the same time. On the other side I do apologise for the temperature, it is not easy to control in the very middle of the city, if the nights are around zero and during the day it is close to twenty as long it is still winter time i.e. we are still heating. I hope you will celebrate your birthday or any of your family feasts with us again!

KIndest regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I've been there for 2 nights, Thursday and Friday. The room was OK, not big but OK. Unfortunately in the early morning the water temperature in the shower was "mildly warm" at most. No improvement after 10 minutes of continuous flow. In the afternoon and the day after it was OK. I guess there must have been some problem with the heating system but at the concierge the guys were not really cooperative and friendly to explain correctly the problem. The room window is directed toward a side road where an African pub is located. On Friday night I couldn't close my eyes until 4 am! The worst thing is that the hotel was the only place where I used my credit card. Two days back home I was alerted that my credit card number was stolen and someone from Hungary was buying stuff on the internet. I called the hotel to warn them and again very poor understanding and little empathy.
Bad experience!

Room Tip: ask for a gardne directed room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank lelino67
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear lelino67,

I am sure the arrangement of a stolen credit card - what you even did not notice until you arrived home - is not just calling the hotel by phone. What did you expect? Eventually, that a staff member will confess the theft? Why don't you initiate an official process through your bank instead of incrimination the service, foreshadow accusing with theft the staff and playing off all the experiences you "suffered" in the hotel?

Reading your other review from Fiji with similar rating I do understand why you are so sensitive on the temperature.

Regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Excellent hotel, very good service, nice food, good location, nearby restaurants and cafe's. Excellent beds!
We surely come back to this hotel.
Sauna, welness, luxery rooms, beautiful decoration and especially the kindness of the people Top.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Jozef D,

Thank you for your short, but all-in review! I’m always happy if we receive such a nice review! We await you back!

KIndest regards,